Splinter..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taryn7

Gray-bearded Member
*Oops* I havent been on here in sooo long I didnt even know this section existed! :oops:

I would like to introduce my new foster beardie Splinter.
Some of you may know of her already, others not.
She is by no means as *damaged* as some of the beardies in this section but I do consider her a rescue.
Splinter belongs to mom's ex husbands daughter (my age).
*T* got her about a year before I got my beardie..
When I got Fudge I tried to tell T that beardies need things like UVB and calcium.
She chose not to listen to my advice.
I never saw Splinter before she this past December so I didnt know what her condition was like.
T has some(alot) of issues and had to go into rehab..Rehab was then followed by a 3 month stay in a healthy living facility.. Her 3 months is up at the end of March.
When all this happened, Splinter went to live with my sister. (She lives 3 hours away)... And I went to visit my sister for New Year. Everyone decided that Splinter should come home with me because I have alot more experience with beardies and I have a vet. My sister really tried but she lives in a tiny town with no pet store. And the next town's pet store didnt even stock calcium. So I know there was no herp vet either.

We also decided she should come be with me because I could tell just by looking at her that she had parasites.
She is very small for her age, her spine is not straight, and she is skinny. She obviously has MBD, she doesnt walk properly either.
Her weight was due to a diet consisting of pellets and nothing else for 3 years.
She also lays eggs. Lots of eggs. Infertile ones obviously but for a beardie with NO calcium in her body - this really was not good for her.

We had some stress issues once I had her home.. She didnt want to eat, but then a few days later discovered 15 eggs in her viv :shock: The she really started enjoying her food :lol: But then she wouldnt pooped.. After a few days I finally got her to go in the bath and discovered another egg that had blocked everything up! Thank goodness she managed to pass it herself! After this she weighed 244g..

She also has very bad coordination and I am not sure why.. She really cant catch her own food. And if I try to hand feed her she will always miss.. I now feed her on my carpet and she is getting much better at catching her worms.. And she LOVES her greens.. :mrgreen:

All in all she is doing very well.. She has some issues. She stumbles alot when she walks and she also walks on her wrists.. Her bones bend at the wrist obviously from lack of calcium.. So I would like to get her as normal as possible. Hopefully her spine will straighten a little too..

And she is currently weighing in at 310g... Big improvement.

Only problem? I am pretty sure T will want her back when she gets out of rehab.. And I dont know what to do.. I can tell her how to look after Splinter properly but she cant even look after herself.. How will she look after this beardie? I am putting so much love,time,effort and money into this beardie and I really dont want someone coming along to mess it all up :(

This beardie deserves more..

Anyway, here are some pics from when I first got her..(comparison with Fudge who is a year younger)
PICT0218.jpg

PICT0222-1.jpg

A few weeks later outside..
PICT0236.jpg

PICT0237.jpg

PICT0248.jpg

PICT0228.jpg

And last weekend outside again.. Fudge was there too. Unfortunately Storm was not invited to the outdoor photoshoot because he cant restrain himself around the girls..
PICT0227.jpg

PICT0222.jpg

PICT0221.jpg

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I know this is going to sound really harsh and cruel, but you could tell "T" that Splinter passed away due to parasites. (Guess I'm in a really evil mood today)

I'm so happy to hear that she's gaining weight. Her and Fudge really look cute together, sort of like big sister (Fudge) watching out for little sister (Splinter).

Can't remember if I had asked this before, but has Storm seen Splinter?

LJean

Extreme Poster
Poor girl. Can you hide her? ;) I really hope you can come up with a solution to keep her with you.

Taryn7

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Goonie":11044 said:
I know this is going to sound really harsh and cruel, but you could tell "T" that Splinter passed away due to parasites. (Guess I'm in a really evil mood today)

I'm so happy to hear that she's gaining weight. Her and Fudge really look cute together, sort of like big sister (Fudge) watching out for little sister (Splinter).

Can't remember if I had asked this before, but has Storm seen Splinter?

Unfortunately I can't.. (Though I would if I could)..
Because our families are still connected.. My siblings and I share the same mother and T shares the same father with them.. So its complicated.. She does come over to my house for various reasons a couple times a year.. Plus my sister would never lie to T... Grrrr. The situation is messy..

As far as I can remember - Storm has not seen Splinter.. When I feed her I block his view.. Or if she is exploring I cover his viv with a blankie.. Storm hasnt even seen Fudge in a long time either.. His responses are just so aggressive that I try to avoid it. I'm sure its stressful for him because he really wants to mate and cant get to them.. Fudge just looks at him like he is crazy :lol:

I think part of the reason for Storm's lack of black beard these days has something to do with not seeing the girls in a while..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom