spayed female still has eggs forming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Is this really possible or not? I had my girl Booger spayed last year when she also had a cyst they had to remove. Does it just happen if the vet missed a little of something or can they grow their parts back? It has the vet and I stumped. She is going in tomorrow morning to have another surgery to take care of it. I can't find any answers on this question. Anyone?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't know for sure but wouldn't imagine that a dragon could just regenerate like that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, I have heard of them missing some eggs when spaying & they lay them later. Did they remove everything including the ovaries, too?
No they are unable to regenerate organs like that.
That is very odd indeed. What is the vet going to do?

Tracie

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Booger went in for surgery Monday morning. The vet found at least 40 eggs forming and 2-4 had burst. Her liver is swollen and a different color, we are doing a biopsy on it and just waiting for answers. Last year Booger went in for surgery to take out a cyst and to spay her, due to eggs forming. This year her color started going pale so I took her in for an x-ray and the vet said it looked like eggs, but she was spayed, so he wasn't for sure so we did a blood test that came back she was ovulating , it has him stumped and me too. Not sure what went on, but somehow she managed to have eggs after spaying. I trust my vets I use, they saved her life last year. Yes, the vet said he took everything out last year.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Is it possible that he may have missed a bit during the spaying? If so then I can see the tissue being still viable and producing eggs, its all I can think of. I am not saying this against your vet, but the space is very small they have to work in and if anything is missed and its still viable it could be possible. I would think anyway. I'm not a vet so I am just guessing here!

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Tonya, I think that would be the only way that can happen. I can't blame the vet,but like you said things can be missed, and if that was the case it is fixed now, and he didn't charge me for his labor, but I did have to pay for everything else. I still will go to the vet I have, I don't trust anyone else with my girls. As long as we saved her life once again and she has a long life, that is all that I want. So far she is still hanging in there and getting stronger every day. Its taken her a little longer this time around tho.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Like I said, I am not blaming your vet at all. It would be easy to miss something if she was full of eggs. Your vet sounds like a keeper to me. I am just glad the problem was taken care of and shes recovering :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would keep trusting your vet. I still can't believe the intricate procedures they're able to do for these little guys. It's really impressive and fortunate =)

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Question, fatty liver, tests came back at that. I have never dealt with it so I am trying to do research and figure out how to help her. If anyone has some advice please let me know. I don't want to lose my girl, but life has just not been fair to her so far. I think from what I read diet has a lot to do with helping her, but not totally sure on that.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I would pm Drache613 about fatty liver and she can better advise you on that. I don't know anything about it or how to treat it, she would.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I found out that the blood test didn't show anything, but the biopsy did. The vet said it is most likely from absorbing the eggs. I think a friend was going to post to Tracie about this.

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
I am so sorry about what you are going through with your little girl. I understand your fear....I had to have mine spayed in March as she was producing approx. 30 eggs every month and she was just over a year old when it started. I know I was close to losing her and the vet agreed. When they went in there the vet said she was never going to stop producing and I am lucky enough to have a vet locally who is the best of the best (that is NOT an insult to your vet by the way!). But I know it is a tough surgery for the vets and of course the beardies too. do you know if they removed any ovaries the first time?

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully they will take everything else out this time and it will be all over for the poor girl. Your baby is very lucky to have such a wonderful, caring owner!

Please keep us up on her progress!

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yes, the vet said he took everything out the first time. But like anything in this world, mistakes can be made. I am not blaming him, things happen, but I do trust him and he did save her life last year, and I won't hold that against him. Booger had her last shot of 4 anti biotic shot on Thursday and the vet said she is doing better at this time then he thought she would. She is still not eating much so I am syringe feeding her, but she seems to be doing better. She goes in next Saturday to either take stitches out or just let them dissolve. So far so good tho. I see her color coming and going but a lot better then no color at all.

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Bwalter":12nx2osb said:
Yes, the vet said he took everything out the first time. But like anything in this world, mistakes can be made. I am not blaming him, things happen, but I do trust him and he did save her life last year, and I won't hold that against him. Booger had her last shot of 4 anti biotic shot on Thursday and the vet said she is doing better at this time then he thought she would. She is still not eating much so I am syringe feeding her, but she seems to be doing better. She goes in next Saturday to either take stitches out or just let them dissolve. So far so good tho. I see her color coming and going but a lot better then no color at all.
I completely get it. Unless you have seen your beardie in this terrible situation and someone brings her back from this, it's impossible for anyone to understand. Just to kind of compare notes on the healing time (Zoey had hers on March 7), how long ago was the surgery? Do you remember how long they left the stitches in last time?

Have you heard from Tracie? She is a brilliant mind (as is everyone around here! :D ), but I know from experience she will help you out bigtime. If you haven't heard anything from her, let me know, I will contact her for you. I drove her crazy while mine was laying (she is the most patient woman on the planet. lol), she helped so much. Personally, she asked me questions, which I in turn asked the vet and it made the whole process so much easier.

As far as food, (again, my personal experience) I offered baby food to Zoey (through a syringe) at around day 3 after she got home from the surgery. She was so thin though from being so young when this started that she was willing to eat just about anything and everything. lol Now, 2 months later she still eats like a garbage can and she's finally at a healthy weight for the first time since I got her (at 8 weeks old).

Please keep us up on what is going on and if you have any info from the vet on what happened, I am very curious. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom