Soon to be new owner, few specific questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigTime

Hey folks,

First timer here so go easy on me. By the end of the month I'll be the proud owner of a baby dragon and I'm in the process of getting the viv set up. Couple of questions so I can make sure everything is perfect.

I've done A LOT of reading and found most of the information I need about lighting (reptisun 10.0 of course), 36x18x18 exo terra tank, going to use newspaper for substrate for the time being. Will be raising a dubia colony for my staple feeder and provide collard and some other greens for salads. The questions I have are a bit more specific though, so here it goes.

1) Basking platforms. I know the dragon needs to be able to get about 6-10 inches away from his UVB and basking source but I'm having a heck of a time finding a somewhat high basking platform, any suggestions where I can look? Most of the platforms I've found max out at about 5 inches high meaning I'd have to put the fixture like 6 inches down the side wall.

2) Taking temps. When I do get the basking spot set up, should I be placing the probe directly on the basking platform for the temp reading? And directly on the floor of the viv for the cool side?

3) Basking bulb? With a 40 gallon breeder tank assuming the basking bulb will be 18 inches away from the floor of the viv and the temps in my house stay about 73-77 degrees any idea what kind of wattage I might be looking at? Trying to nail it on the first try so I don't have to buy multiple bulbs.

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Gail

BD.org Addict
1] You can use lots of things. I have a large piece of driftwood in my tank for a UVB platform and use a flat rock for basking. Alternately, you can hang the UBV on small chains so its adjustable

2] Probe directly under the basking light, the thermometer its self on the cool side.

3] Start with a 75Watt and you can use a regular household incandescent, you don't have to use the expensive reptile heat lights.

BigTime

Original Poster
When you say probe directly under the basking light do you mean like a couple inches away from it? Or should I still be placing the probe on the basking spot itself?

I wonder if something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Kordon-Oasis-Turtle-Ramp-Medium/dp/B0002DIM9G/ref=sr_1_11?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1372819221&sr=1-11&keywords=basking+platform

Would work as a basking spot. Set the ramp on the base and suction cup it to the side of the viv. Only problem would be trying to figure out how high it would be.

Gail

BD.org Addict
You lay the probe right on the bask spot where the light shines, you need to know the temp of the hottest spot in the cage.
I wouldn't use the turtle ramp, not sure how it will hold up to the heat since its not made for it. You will need two platforms, one for basking and a taller one next to it for UVB.

Here are pics of my set up
2zyih48.jpg

15h26wh.jpg

BigTime

Original Poster
Thanks so much for this Gail. Would you say it's best to have the UVB slightly off center of the viv more toward the basking side? That's what I think I see in your pictures.

Gail

BD.org Addict
If possible, you want the UVB to span the whole cage but if its shorten like mine is then yes, you want it more towards the basking spot.

BigTime

Original Poster
I have a 24 inch tube for my 36 inch tank, I'll shift it a little toward the basking side and call it good. Thanks again for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom