Soon-to-be BD owner :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNorm

Hello Everyone,

I will be hopefully getting my first BD from a local rescue in mid December. Before I do so I wanted to get a few things taken care of. The adoption fee of the one I am looking at is $30. This struck me as a great deal. The owner said he is about 3-4 Years old. I am curious if it is best to start out with an older one or a baby? I hardly ever see older ones for sale….

I also have a couple tank questions, better to take care of now than later…
I have a 55 Gallon Aquarium. I know some people say the width is too small but it’s only his cage till this spring, and I can build my own.
I’m more concerned about the height; I have to have a screen top on it because we have cats. Likewise his heat light and UVB would be about 20” from the floor.
What would be a good, safe way to put a platform of some sort in so he can get much closer?
Also, would heat from a ceramic heater be dangerous? I was going to set one up on a battery backup above the cage with a heater set at about 70, we live out in the middle of nowhere and our power may go out in the winter…. I can’t do anything if I’m not home…
Lastly, Repti-carpet ok? I’m curious how to clean it thoroughly?
Thanks.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
:wave: Hello & Welcome to BD.org! :D

Babies are very cute, adorable, and fun to watch grow, but sometimes people find it easier to start with an adult as they are not as squeamish. Don't worry there's always time later for a baby. :wink:

You mentioned that the enclosure will be a 55 gal what are the measurements?
For adults larger the better, but as small as a 40 gal breeder will work.

You could use a nice piece of wood or rock pile to raise the basking spot so that your beardie is closer to the UVB. Depending on the type of UVB bulb you decide to use will determine how close your beardie should be able to get to it. For instance the reptisun 10.0 they should be able to get within 6-8 inches from it. A mercury vapor bulb (MVB) they should be around 12 inches from it can be a bit farther. If your still needing to purchase the UVB make sure you say away from the compact or coil types they will damage your beardies eyes and do not put out sufficient UVB. Also you want to stay away from the dial or tape strip type thermometers they are not always that accurate. A digital probe or my favorite the infrared temp gun works best.

Most of us use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) which screws into the fixture it only puts out heat no light.
We live in the country and during winter our power goes out often too. I like to keep the disposable hand warmers on hand for those times.

Repti-carpet is fine. I have a piece in Zak-n-Wheezies enclosure along with linoleum(non adhesive) and tile.
Most of my enclosures have tile in them as it is very easy to maintain. Also helps to keep their nails filed down.

Back to the repti-carpet it is very easy to clean just rinse it off and throw it in the washing machine just don't dry it in the dryer it will shrink.

Again Welcome Aboard! :D

JNorm

Original Poster
Its about 4' long, 21" high and a little over a foot deep. I know the foot deep is somthing some people dislike, but like i said, im planning on building my own cage this spring.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Yes 12" deep is a bit small, but you said it was only temporary.
An if I'm correct it will be cold weather in Indiana right?
If this beardie that your planing on getting is 2 or 3 there is a good chance that the first month or so he may be brumating or at least slowed down so it may not be so bad. As long as you realize that you need to get him more room as soon as you can. :wink:

Don't worry he will have you whipped in no time.........you may find a way to make that enclosure much sooner than you think now. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom