soo confused!!! Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmc3213

I have a 3 month old bearded dragon. She is my first reptile. I've looked through so many different posts and websites about feeding and I am just so overwhelmed. I have been giving her crickets and she has been eating them decently. But, they keep getting too big for her and it is really annoying to pick the big ones out. I will do it if I have to but is there another way??? Today I got in baby silkworms and she seems to love them. But, I have heard that they die off really fast and are hard to keep. What do I do to prevent that?? And do I dust the silkworms with the calcium powder or multivitamin?? Or should I just not get silkworms?? She won't even eat any greens.zHow do I get her to eat some? I have also heard stuff about juvenile beardie pellet food. Should I get that?? All I really know is that they should be eating a lot and it doesnt seem like she is. The most she has eatn in the week that I have had her is 20 crickets in one day. I have the calcium powder with D3 and I am starting to use that 5x a week. I also am ordering herptevite to use 2 times a week. Please help me!! I am soo confused as to what to feed her. Thank you!!!

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Would you do dubias? You can as long as you are not in Florida. They live forever, and have a better meat:shell ratio than crickets.. 1 dubia = 6 crickets...

Dubia needs to be dusted with calcium 5x a week.. 2x with multivitamins

Silkworms would need to be dusted

Reptiworms are good too, and they don't need to be dusted.. but they need to be kept at 55 degrees, and they will live over a month
www.reptiworms.com put in code bearded20 and get 20% off your order

But I definately vote dubias.. this is my 3 month old on dubia:

viewtopic.php?p=1212928

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
cmc3213":16s9pphf said:
I live in Flroida... Why can't I use them? Thank you! I'll try reptiworms!

It's illegal to ship them to Florida. Which is too bad, because if can get a colony going, you would never have to buy feeders again :(

Small superworms are also an option. As long as you get the small ones. Start her off slowly, like 10 a day for 2 weeks.. then once she is fine with them you can up how many you give.

You can get SMALL supers at:
www.mulberryfarms.com

But Reptiworms are really good... but can get expensive if you are feeding a huge appetite. Superworms are more cost effective, and good as long as you dust them properly.

cmc3213

Original Poster
aww ok.. Thank you so much!! Are silkworms ok for now till they run out or die?? I will dust them with calcium 5x a week and herptivite 2x. Should I get a colony of superworms going for her? Or just order the small ones?

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, silkworms are very good for her.. I posted this chart somewhere on here for a nutrition guide:

http://www.elliotsbutterworms.com/nutrition.htm

As far a getting a colony of superworms going, I think it is super hard to do. Somewhere on here is directions on how to do it. It was way too confusing to me. Dubia you just have to keep in a tote, throw some food in, and some water gel, keep it heated and that's it... Supers it's a long process..

And they aren't priced that bad, so I never really thought about getting a super colony going..

cmc3213

Original Poster
oh ok thanks :) how do I get her to eat her greens? I've heard that dandelion, mustard, and collard greens are good.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, those are all good.. Have you tried hand feeding her? I rip a little piece off and put it in front of Butters, and she will eat it.. Or on the weekends when I get up later, I will give her greens first, and feeders an hour later, and usually she is hungry by then, she she goes right for her greens...

At 3 months old I wouldn't worry too much about the greens.. at 5 months old you can start just putting greens in the tank, and do the feeders later in the day... this way she will not fill up on feeders, and eat greens when she's hungry...

cmc3213

Original Poster
I have tried but she doesnt seem too interested. I'll try that though! Thanks so much for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom