Something wrong with him/her?? - VIDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Hey I just noticed this lil guy acting weird in his tank, he just hatched early yesterday. It looked like he was struggling so I went to look at him and it looked like he wasn't using his left arm, then he was,then he wasn't using his right arm, then he was! It almost looked like he was rubbing his arms and head or whole body on the paper towel...is that normal? He's the only one that I saw doing it. How soon after hatching do they usually shed?
Here's a video:

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Anyone? He seems okay now I think, could he have just been rubbing himself, itchy or something?? Shedding soon?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If he was just doing it for a short time, he was probably enjoying the wetness of the paper towel. He is nowhere near shedding, depending on how quickly they grow, first shed is usually after 3-4 weeks.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply!! That seems like it would make sense, I was worried because it looked like he was dragging his arms, but he's up on the log in the tank now so he must be fine. I'll keep an eye on him though, he has some great colour already :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is he up on the log basking & moving his arm normally now?
If he contines to have trouble, I would separate him & place him by himself to watch & evaluate him so he doesn't get picked on.
They are both very cute.

Tracie

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey Tracie,

He is basking now (trying) and seems to be moving normally, although right now he is being piled up on on the basking spot, so I may separate him anyways so he can bask properly. I'll keep a close eye on him, he is the most colourful of the clutch so far :) The inside of his ear is pure orange!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great he seems to be doing alright & is basking, too.
Did you go ahead & separate him as well?
Has he started eating also I hope?

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes I separated him and a few others that didn't seem to be doing as well and wow what a difference! They all seem to be doing great now. Yes him and probably about 5 others started eating some calcium dusted crickets yesterday, but the others still weren't interested yet or ran away from the crickets lol (they were really small don't worry :p ) It is so cute to watch those little guys chase down and munch those crickets! :D Oh and they are also all drinking lots of water from a little medicine dropper I got since I heard the #1 cause of hatchling death is dehydration :(

Quick question, is it necessary for me to keep the paper towel in their tanks damp, or only if one of the beardies were to have the yolk sac attached to him/her still? Only 1 hatched with it attached so far but I just left him in the incubator for about 24 hours and it fell off.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Glad that the babies are doing well. If the little one had a neurological problem, it would still have it, so if it's not acting that way there was nothing wrong with him, he was enjoying the moisture from the towel. And when babies first hatch, some are sleepy + sluggish, otheres run around like racehorses. So they take a few days to adjust. Most won't eat for the first 2 days , generally, and no wet paper towels are needed any longer....I never use them at all and have never had a yolk sac not come off. Good to use the dropper method, but it's much easier to gently use a spray bottle. It's good to separate 5,6,7 babies to a bin, otherwise you really need a large plastic tote with basking areas on two sides and then they need to be moved as they grow, which is so quickly. Get ready for lots of work, but lots of fun ! Once they start on live food, a way to get them to eat their greens is to offer them first, use soft leafed oned like turnip + mustard, shred to small [ tiny ] pieces but they will also have fun tearing larger [ literally not large, just a smidge bigger than tiny ! ] and DROP the little pieces slowly like confetti around the babies. Do this as they are waiting for their crickets, or at the same time. Drop some crix in, and while the babies are waiting for more, drop the greens in. Try this 5-6 days after they are eating well, and they should pounce right on them, and you will have started them on a healthy way of eating. Usually by 2 weeks old, mine all eat greens that way.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Wow thanks for the great advice! Feeding greens that way is a great idea!
I'm glad the little guy is okay now, he is definitely doing much better :) I have them 5 in one tank, 6 in the other and then when the other 4 hatch I'll have 5 in each tank (unless there are some lil ones or mean ones that need to be separated, so far so good though!). My bf is also about half-way done a huge enclosure with four 4'x2' compartments that could also be split into eight 2'x2' compartments to further separate later. I'd love any more helpful tips and tricks though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom