something new and something weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
:D hi, I just got another beardie. I named him Godzilla. I now have two beardies. Theone I already had is name Pancake and she is in the same tank as Godzilla. About every ten minutes Godzilla bobs his head at Pancake. Pancake bobs her head back at him and waves her arm. It looks as if they are h aveing a head boning tournament. It is so weird and I've never seen anything like it. Sometimes Godzilla will circle Pancake and bob his head at her. Could someone please tell me whats going on. Im very confused.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are showing dominance & trying to decide which one is boss. The circling is aggression and it's only going to get worse before one of them is injured or killed. They should be separated immediately before they have a conflict.

How old are each of them or what length? What size tank are they in?

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tank size is 40 gal.

Female aka Pancake is 17-18 inches

Male aka Godzilla is 16-17 inches

They are both about a year old. The circling happened about once which was two days ago. Now it doesnt happen any more. Now there is just head bobing. And pancake sometimes waves her arm while she bobs her head.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I completely agree with Diamc. These behaviors are for dominance. One is going to rule the roost while the other suffers for it. Beardies are solitary animals and need to be in separate tanks. I would like, Diamc said separate them ASAP before one is injured or killed.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Also, since one is a male & the other a female, they could breed. Since beardies continue to grow until over 2 yrs old, a gravid one year old might not survive the egg laying as she is still actually a baby herself.

It may look funny to watch them but to them, it's serious business and they're not kidding around.

Also, if one has parasites or another health issue, the other one could catch it that's why we recommend them being quarantined away from any other beardies for a while.

Please separate them asap, there are a lot of reasons to do that.

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The previous owner of these two dragon had both of these two and they bred and the female did survive the egg laying. These two were bought at the sane time. If they are breeding would beardeddragon.org be able to help inform me on what to do.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh the poor thing being bred so young. Are you thinking that she is gravid now? They can have as many as 4 clutches, 25 eggs each and if she was already bred previously, she may not be in the best of health if not allowed time to recover since she is so young.

This would be a good article for you to read: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=126455

Regardless, they need to be separated.

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh I just now got the rest of the message about them being to young and with the parasites and stuffstuff. I will separate them immediately. Thanks for the help

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No not one that is suitable for a beardie. I have another tank that is 30 gal.it has nothing in it. No lights, decor nothing

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The tank isn't big enough to be sectioned off either. Do you know of anyone that has a tank that they're not using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom