Something isn't right?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

robson0587

My lil guy, Ozzie, has not been eating like he was a few weeks ago. He has been very sluggish the past few days, staying on the cool side of the tank in the corner, looking like he wants to sleep. I dunno if this is normal or not but im thinking its not. Im having trouble with heating the cage on the cool side. Ive done research on here and have asked many pet stores (big and small) what they think and everyone is telling me he is fine but still something doesnt seem right. Here are some specs on the cage:

Size: 75 gallon
Basking Spot Temp: 93.3 F
Cool Side: 73.5 F (the house temp has dropped due to Michigan not knowing its spring now, but was at 78 or so last week)
Light on Warm Side: 150W basking blub
Light on Cool Side: 75W basking bulb (had a 75w housebulb but temp was at 70)
UVB: 10.0 which is 10" away from basking point (note: UVB does not go through screen)
Substrate: Slate Tile
Diet: Collard Greens offered everyday, with carrots and bell peppers sometimes mixed in, and Crickets one time a day in the morning. Also have been offering mealworms the past few days.
Supplement Supply: Fluker's Reptile Vitamin which is used on food everyday

Here is what the cage looks like any advice would be great. Also, just a side note, i looked in on my guy and he is basking on the rocks and very alert to any movement right now. He was like this yesterday but only for part of the day. Am i just over worried about this? I know the temps are a little too low but only by a few degrees and once the temps start getting up again i should be fine. Every care sheet and every person i've talked to says something different. So im taking the overall average of what i hear and read and going off that. Thanx!!

30172_1441516286496_1490732063_31123736_6242384_n.jpg

30172_1441516326497_1490732063_31123737_6390152_n.jpg

robson0587

Original Poster
alright well first i had a 100W in there and it exploded, literally exploded, on top of the feeder tank one morning and i could not get the bulb remains out. thank god ozzie was in my hand when it happened. so then i thought maybe the light was too hot or something weird. but anyways i got the shards out and put a 75W house bulb in. Today i place the 75W basking bulb in and left it there all day. the temps are at 79.1 and 102.3 now but he is hiding in corner on top of the rock cave but under the hammock. also, he ate two crickets and five wax worms today, no greens. so im still feeling bad for the guy.

h2simms

Juvie Member
Better, but what kind of UVB light are u using i thought you said reptisun 10.0 right? Also try bathing him once a day.The cooling down could have triggered brumation, because if his temps where like that for a few days.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Is he getting Calcium in any way? I see that you use a vitamin supplement but what about Calcium dust for your crickets?

robson0587

Original Poster
i am using the repti-glo 10.0 because the reptisun bulb i ordered at the pet store took over four weeks to get and then once i finally got it the bulb was defective so i was done with the hassle and just bought this one. I asked a local breeder/exotic pet shop owner and he said he tested both bulbs and both had the same output and he hasn't had a problem with the repti-glo.

and the vitamin dust has calcium in it.

also, i just found out on another one of my posts that i might have mites?? i dunno whats going on now...

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Ok, from what I have found out from other posters, use vitamin dust twice a week and calcium dust with D3 on your crickets 5 times a week. i can't say much about the mites except that perhaps you may need a vet.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Yeah but you can have TOO much vitamins and they can get Vitamin A toxicity. You need a plain Calcium dust 5 days a week and then vitamins twice a week. I dust Elijah's crickets with Calcium Mon to Fri and on the weekends use the vitamins.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Many of us (myself included) have had this problem with reptiglo's. I suggest you order the reptisun online (not only is it very cheap but it gets delivered and is always working for me!)

Keep monitoring those temps, they are looking good atm though!

robson0587

Original Poster
i plan on ordering the reptisun once i get the money.

could it be stress?? i notice the underbelly has circles which ppl say are stress marks. how can i reduce the stress??

robson0587

Original Poster
i plan on ordering the reptisun once i get the money.

could it be stress?? i notice the underbelly has circles which ppl say are stress marks. how can i reduce the stress??

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Im afradi there isnt much you can do, once the set up is correct he will take a few days to adjust and then be fine. Those marks are also signs of illness and being too cold. Have you had a fecal done to check for parasites??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom