Some seriously bulging eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonGal

Hatchling Member
I read up about beardie eye bulging, read that it's probably a "yawn", or something to that effect... could be loosening skin around the eyes.. but the degree that Nala's bulging her eyes is starting to worry me. Here's a photo... (if you've never seen eye bulging, brace yourself)...

DSC_0172.jpg

Eye bulging about a week ago^

A little bit of background info: she's a rescue, was NOT taken care of by her last owner. Had to give her two baths to get all the dirt and smells off of her on the first day. She was completely dehydrated, doing a bit better with that now. Nasty case of MBD by the looks of her, although I in no way claim to be an expert.

The eye bulging is accompanied by a black beard. I gave her a bath the first time she did it, and she acted completely normal, except for those scary eyes! They went back to normal after about a half hour.

Then again this morning, it looked really freaky:
DSC_0245.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

Again with the black beard (stress?) so I put her in a bath and as soon as she hit the water she pooped, and about a minute later her eyes were normal again. Now she's running around my room acting like nothing's happened.. it just looks so extreme to me! If anyone can give me any insight into this, I'd appreciate it!
-Kate

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Eye bulging can be a sign of stress. However, its usually just when they're shedding they do that- it can really freak an owner out seeing it. Shedding is stressful for beardies so that may be the reason why the eye bulging is accompanied by the black beard. I wouldn't worry. Here's an article on eye bulging from this site with photos that look like yours (if you haven't already seen it): http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/eyebulging/?page=1

i'd say its perfectly normal (altho it don't look it). I have two BD's one female about 3 months and one male about 6month.
the male i have never seen do it and the female does it every so often, but only for about 5 seconds then she stops. the both puff out there beard and go black sumtimes but they seem to be find eat and sleep and poop lol. bt idk what the eye bulgings for but then again i don't think that anyone really does there is alot of arguments an theorys but nones been proven, i don't think

DragonGal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, thanks both of you for the replies, I'm a bit less worried now. I did check out that article, thank you! These beardies have the weirdest habits... :roll:

DragonGal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update: Came into my room last night to find her eye bulging again, but this time there was shed coming off her poor little eyelids! Man, I totally missed that, no grayish color or anything. :dontknow: Thanks for the help, guys!

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
DragonGal":i8j5gprc said:
Update: Came into my room last night to find her eye bulging again, but this time there was shed coming off her poor little eyelids! Man, I totally missed that, no grayish color or anything. :dontknow: Thanks for the help, guys!

Ah bless her- you can probably relax now she is shedding :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom