Some questions about my dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had Dagon for a few months, hes always been active and a good eater but recently his appetite has drastically reduced. He used to go crazy over crickets, but now they just run around his cage. I was worried he might be impacted from the supers Ive feed him but he still poops regularly, so he has to be eating a little I guess.His basking area temp is around a 100 with the cool side about 90. I think hes about a year and a half old.Also I've noticed along his back legs callous like marks. They look like scales that have becomed calloused, there in a row along both legs and seem be were he sits. Is this a problem? I use slate tiles in his tank i'm to afraid to use sand because of impacting.He glass dances a lot so I know he wants to get out, I just don't know why.
Hes still very active has his head and tail up, seems happy. But am still kinda worried about him.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello,

Sorry to hear Dagon isn't himself lately. You mentioned him glass dancing alot and wanting out...this could be a sign that something is not right with his set up. His coolside temp of 90 is a bit on the high side. You should try and get it down between 78-82. He could be overheating. Do you bathe Dagon for hydration?

If you could answer a few questions on his set up maybe we can figure out what's going on with your beardie.

What Type and Brand uvb?
What Brand and Watt basking bulb?
What are you measuring temps with? digital therm w/wire and probe, dial, stick on, temp gun?

The marks on his legs...are they on the underside? Do they look like the ones in this picture?
If so, these are Femoral Pores. They are normal and more pronounced in males.

m-femoral-pores_300x225.jpg

wickednick

Original Poster
I bathe him regularly usually after he poops. the uvb bulb is a reptisun 5.0, he has easy access to it.I just have a thermometer on both sides of tank to measure temps, havn't gotten around to getting a temp gun yet. Thanks for telling me about those femoral pores I was getting worried. They started to get more pronounced recently.
dagon3.jpg

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
With the dial thermometers they can be off by quite a bit(-/+ 20 degrees). What you need is either a digital thermometer with a wire and probe or a temp gun. Walmart has a great digi thermometer for $12, it is the AcuRite. It is in the home thermometer section(not pet section).
The temps are extremely important for the health and well being of your beardie. Unfortunately, the only way you can get accurate temps is with one of the two thermometers I mentioned.

I also wanted to mention that the ReptiSun 5, although a good bulb, is not enough uvb for a beardie. The ReptiSun 10 is a much better source of uvb.

Hope this helps! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brohelphimlol
Top Bottom