Some concerns...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I'd like to talk about some health concerns I have about my new beardie. I picked him up from a local (trusted) pet store on Saturday the 13th.

Husbandry:
20l fish tank
100w basking bulb
Reptisun 10.0 T5 tube bulb
110* F basking spot
85*-90* ambient temperature
30-15% humidity (not too happy about this)
Ceramic tile for substrate
http://postimg.org/image/9f03ag7zb/
http://postimg.org/image/ityxr3iof/

Now, on to the dragon.
Nothing special, a regular little one. estimated 4-6 weeks old. He hasn't been eating much since I've had him/her. (I named it Cleo for now.) We bought him small crickets for the first 2 days we've had him. He would eat 2-3 over the coarse of an hour, then go and bask. It took a full day for him to eat through all 10 of them, and I only witnessed him eating a few. On Sunday, we stopped by another pet store to buy some meal worms. Now, I know the concern of meal worms with bearded dragons here (large amount of chitin, causes impactions) but I will talk more about why I have to buy them later. He only ate 3 worms today and then went to bask again.

He also has an issue with his eyes. When he basks, he blinks normally, but every about 30 seconds he slowly shuts an eye (only one at a time) and keeps it shut for about three seconds.he then opens it and acts like nothing happens. I've seen this happen with both eyes, but it is mostly in his right eye. I've heard it is because of the Compact UVB bulbs used in pet shops. Their eyes are damaged, and were given no time to heal when switching to the new habitat with a tube bulb. I've turned off the UVB light for today only, and I think i may be seeing some results.

My biggest concern is his poop. He has not passed anything in the 3 days I've had him. I bathed him on Sunday but nothing happened. I may have seen some minuscule droplets of stool in his tank, but it could just be some specks. he has not have had normal stool yet.

He has not- and will not -leave his basking spot unless I take him off. He is a little skittish, so he will try to wiggle a bit. I have to pick him up and put him on the tile when I'm feeding him. when I take my hand out for around 30 seconds, he will hop right back onto the branch. He also hasn't touched his greens at all. only kale is in the bowl at the moment, but he hasn't even looked at it.

Now, on to MY problems. My mother is the cause of most of these issues. First off, the meal worms. Honestly, I hate them, as they aren't healthy for the bearded dragon, but my mom is too squeamish to get Dubia roaches or a healthier option. She is also not willing to pay lots for healthy staple feeders, such as Phoenix Worms. It angers me because I've been doing research for a full year on these lizards, and I've wanted one so bad, and now they are denying my research.

She also denies the fact that they need a SALAD, not just kale in their tank, at all times. she won't get Cleo any vegetables when she goes to the supermarket.

Lastly, and probably the worst, is that my mom refuses to take Cleo to the vet. I've asked her multiple times, but she says I have to search up home remedys because she won't take it to a vet. We have a cat and a dog, and now my lizard. She needs to treat it like another pet, not just a pest!

If you have any questions on my husbandry or anything that can help me and my dragon, please go ahead and reply. I need answers fast, as I am paranoid that he isn't healthy right now. Please help, and thank you!

http://postimg.org/image/u733jbznz/

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....first off, that's a nicely set up tank. :) I like the basking log, but it may be best to put it on it's side so it's not quite so close to the light. About his eyes, they do open + close them at random times, it doesn't necessarily mean his eyes are not well. I can't remember which of the 10.0 bulbs are stronger but as long as you have the screen top, the UVB should be acceptable at that distance. As for mealworms, you really have to be very careful....if he gets impacted it can be very dangerous or at least distressing. Will your mom put up with crickets ? If so, order a 1,000 on line from somewhere like Armstrong crickets [ get the 3/8" or 1/4 inch size ] and they will last for a few weeks. There are instructions for keeping them in the feeders forum I believe, or on youtube. You can't raise a beardie on 3-4 mealworms a day. He will not be healthy. He may be impacted already, so get some applesauce, baby food prunes to have on hand and add a few drops of veg. oil or honey if he gets lethargic + doesn't poo. As for greens, ask your mom to buy one of the mixed bags that you would use for your own salad and pick the best dark greens out of there, plus a little kale. Babies don't eat too many greens but it's good to try it at least 2-3X a week if that's all you can get. If it's warm where you live and you have a yard that has dandelion leaves or ground clover you can use that, too. Oh, the reason he might be staying off the tile is that it may be hot since it soaks up the heat. it's fine if he wants to hang on his log. To hydrate him, drip water on his snout every day with a small spray bottle or eyedropper or plastic feeding syringe. He should lap it up, and if your humidity is so low you can gently spray him in his tank, but mop up most of the excess water. Oh, and make the cool side a bit cooler, like 75-80. He looks good + healthy right now ...hopefully he'll stay that way for you. :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What a difficult situation :( Cleo is very cute!

A few suggestions in the order I noticed them:

Tank- be on the ready to upgrade the cage. A 20L won't last too long.

Crickets left in the tank (maybe I misinterpreted) - not eating much is normal after a big change but the uneaten prey should be removed. Hungry crickets can injure your dragon. If they are in an escape proof dish, then that's fine :)

Poop - Not much food will mean not much poop, and stress can throw that out of wack too. ABHD has good advice for some natural laxatives.

Basking - how are you checking the temps? They sound right but if his basking spot is the only place he feels "just right" or safe he won't want to move. It's good he is basking though, some baby dragons take to hiding when they first come home.

Mealworms - as suggested, would you be able to use crickets instead? They are a pain, but a good option. If you live in the southern US you could try culturing the soldier flies outside, but maybe not this time of year.

Salad - Little dragons aren't always so keen on their veggies, so I wouldn't worry too much about that yet. Would you be able to shop with your mom for the food, or make a deal to get salad fixings and eat some of them yourself as well? (I do this with the spring mix, I'll toss it with some plain calcium for the dragon) A diverse salad is best, but perhaps your mom would be more open to buying a different green or two each week. Kale one week, collards the next, turnip greens the next etc. things like squash can last a long time if properly kept.

Hopefully she will change her mind about the vet, though it doesn't sound like Cleo needs one right now. There are some useful home remedies but for somethings it's just not appropriate to forgo medical treatment. Hopefully your little one is healthy and continues to be so.

Perhaps if there is a way you can earn money or parental credit (allowance, doing extra chores etc) you could use it to help build up a food/vet fund.

mcfly121901

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys. I have some great news.. He pooped! it was average, no problems which is good. the only issue i have is that it was on his hammock so the urate went on the tile and stained it a bit, as I was at school when it happened :lol: So anyway. more good news. my mom lightened up a bit after I had a talk with her about the meal worms. We ordered 1000 of them before we got the dragon and we couldn't cancel the order, so they're here. his stool was normal, so I think I will keep trying with the meal worms. Of coarse, I will order crickets to use as a staple feeder, but I will give him the mealies in moderation.

He seems a lot more active after he went, so that is a plus as well. He seems to be very skittish and tries to run when I pet him or take him out of the tank. Is there a way to calm them down fast?

Also, I moved the basking branch to hit lower so he is not right underneath the light.

My mom still does not want anything to do with the idea that Cleo needs to be taken to the vet like any other pet. I've been trying to tell her, but she wont accept it, and now my dad wont take Cleo either. For now he'll be O.K, but I'm afraid if he gets worse in the future.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Glad he pooped for you, even better to hear about the crickets. I think mealworms keep really well, I know supers do when cared for right, so they shouldn't go bad :) since you have so many, you can also try and only use the freshly molted/softer ones to be safer with them.

Hopefully your parents will grow attached to your little one, and change their mind about the vet if there ever comes a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom