Sombody Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Well, long story short, I went out and bought my dragon a 150 gallon breeder cage, but she is staying at the far end of her home away from the heat on the cool side, and I mean it's really cold! Why is she doing this? I'm worry because she may get too cold. Should I be worry? This is my first dragon and lately she's been eating a lot less due to winter according to this breeder. However she eating less is not my main concern. What I'm worry about is she seeking out cold temperature and sleeping there. She does this every night now since winter is getting closer and it's getting colder. She is even spending time laying on the cold end during the day and rarely bask. Is she seeking out cooler temperature because in the wild this would be the time for them to brumate? Should I tried to put a lower wattage on the cool end where she sleep so the temperature stays around 75-80 degree instead of 120 degree like the basking spot?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Like wizbee said it could be relocation stress.

Maybe the tank is too big and overwhelming. If it's a baby maybe you could partition off part of the tank.

As for sleeping on the cool side at night, that's normal. Their heat should be off at night, unless of course the tank gets below 60. If it gets too cold at night try getting a ceramic heat emitter. They produce heat, not light.

If your beardie is under a year it's highly unlikely that he's brumating(that's not to say he couldn't). They usually don't start brumating til after their first year.

Dawn

Elaina

Juvie Member
I would warm up the ccol side a bit too. Did I read right? 120 degrees for basking? That's too hot. 110 is the max recommended, most people stick with 100-105. Is she too hot? Is she getting baths and mists? And what kind of UV do you have? Sorry for all the questions- its helps:)

wizbee

Juvie Member
Wow! I missed that somehow. 120 is too hot. Maybe lower the temp and she will come and bask? and a nice warm soak would be good, in case she is dehydrated from the heat?

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
She is about 20 inches and still growing. I don't her exact age, but when I first got her back in July she was around 6, 7 inch. I will try warming up the cool end a little. Anyway, 120 degree is the surface temperature. Is it OK?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I'm assuming when you say surface temp you are refering to the basking surface.
120 is still too high. Since she is not a baby, try getting your basking temp to around 100-105. She may be overheating and that is why she is retreating to the cool side.
What type of uvb and basking bulb are you using?

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
At Proexotics Robyn recommend the temperature to be even higher for surface temperature. He said it should range between 120-140 degree.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I hate to tell you this,but you have been misinformed.
If you don't believe the people on this site, please google bearded dragons and look at how to care for them. I can tell you every site you look at will tell you what the people here are telling you.
Does Robyn actually own a bearded dragon or just work at a store that sells them?
I am by no means trying to be mean, but everyone on this site owns bearded dragons. There are breeders on here ,who have been breeding dragons for years. There are some very knowledgable people here.
We are only concerned for the wellfare of your bearded dragon.

Dawn

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Robyn is the owner of Proexotics. You can find their ads everywhere on Kingsnakes. They are quite popular with monitor people, and yes, he bred beardies in the past, but not anymore. Their animals like Uros and monitors are some of the best you can find.

Well, I found her basking today at the warm end, and she is still there. I guess I just jumped on the band wagon when she did that because it scared me to death. I guess she really wants to sleep on the cool end.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have to agree with the others here, that even 120 degree basking temp is too high. I checked out Proexotics and noticed that they don't deal with beardies, mainly snakes and monitors. Beardies don't have the same needs as those reptiles, so wouldn't be exactly the same. There must be some reason that they don't really post any detailed info specifically for bearded dragons. I also noticed that they don't use UVB lighting and all of us here know how critical that it.

If you used a lower wattage bulb on the cool side to bring the temp there up to about 80, that would help keep him a little warmer when he is trying to avoid the basking area. You really might want to consider lowering the basking temp to about 110 or just slightly lower and see how she acts then. Since you got your beardie in July and she was only about 6" long, then she must be about 6 mo old now. She shouldn't be wanting to lay on the cool side during the day and at night too, that is concerning at such a young age. What UVB are you using and how close is it to her when she basks for a few minutes?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I agree those temps are dangerously high.I know proexotics theory on heating and I have to say they are flat out wrong.They are great with Monitors I will say that but thats as far as it goes.I am sorry to be blunt its just the way I feel.When you run temps that high the risk of brain damage,dehydration,neurological problems are far too great.If you research the care sheets proexotics gives for reptiles you will find all of them are identical to Monitor care as this is their theory.If its good enough for a monitor then its good enough for everything else,its just not the case.

Vicky

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
If you wonder I have a Exoterra brand for desert animals mounted inside the cage because of the screen top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom