Solarmeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
So I've decided to look for a solarmeter, not exactly sure what to get though if I do get one so I'm hoping someone may link me to a good one that doesn't cost too much.

It was either this or a camera and after testing all the hand held cameras in my house I decided my phone was 10x better than them as it actually focused on my reptiles, ants and plants rather than just taking a very dull blurred picture... however I may just be a terrible photo taker with hand held cameras.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I bought my Solarmeters direct from Solarmeter.com and had them shipped to me direct.

I first bought a model 6.2 (sensitive UVB meter) and then more recently my model 6.5 (UVI meter) and finally my model 4.2 (sensitive UVA meter).

I think the best meter (the one I use the most is my model 6.2, gives a reading for the flux of UVB in microW UVB / sq.cm and so you can infer directly how good the uv source is in assisting a reptile make vitamin D3 in his skin on exposure to UVB.
I routinely measure the UVB flux for all my 25W UVB200 and 25W UVB150 globes , and have a standard approach - I measure 6 inches from the source and when the UVB flux falls under an acceptable level , I replace the globe.
I will do the same when I build my new beardie and BT tanks and upgrade to T5HO tubes (later this year when I've finished my home renovations).

With instruments like solarmeters, you pay for what you get. If you accuracy , reliability , buy the Solarmeter brand. These are calibrated and bonefide scientific instruments and worth the cost.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 6.2 is good to use to measure the output of a specific bulb but doesn't do as well when you're comparing between light sources. I like to use a 6.5 so I can compare bulb output to what I see under natural sunlight. Both are useful to determine the output/decay of bulbs though. I haven't seen the 6.2R. It looks like a 6.2 with reptile branding but the specs look the same. I would check the video on that site that gives an overview of the 6.2 vs 6.5 and see if that helps drive your decision. I think either one will be helpful to you.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The 6.5 is the more versatile meter.

You do not get flux measurement from it, however the way the UV index is derived (human sunburn responce) is closely correlated to the D3 action curve.... What this means that while it is a more abstract number, it is telling you more about how biologically useful the light is. Total UVB isn’t a very helpful number, since not all UVB is biologically equal and the 6.2 also sees a bit of UVA, from what I understand. So, the 6.2 meter looks at a bit too much of the spectrum, and since bulbs will have different spectrums, can get two bulbs with the same reading on the 6.2 but one could be VASTLY higher UV index. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-tests.htm#photoactivity

You can compare different brands and types of bulbs and also the sun with a 6.5 meter, you cannot do this with a 6.2. For most people the 6.2 is really only useful for measuring decay rates or positioning bulbs with known relationships of UV index to total UV.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
VenusAndSaturn":2qkviq5u said:
So i'm guessing a 6.2 solarmeter would the best for me so I can accurately measure the UVB output in my enclosures?
Would I go with this one,
https://www.solarmeter.com/model62.html

Or this one?
https://www.solarmeter.com/model62r.html

model 62r is new .... I have the 6.2 and am very happy with it and use it most frequently. Mostly to keep an eye on the performance of my UVB150 and UVB200 globes so I know when they need to be replaced.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Looking at the spec sheets, the R line just features "Attractive Reptile-Themed Graphics" but are otherwise the same devices. So, if you have a preference for one packaging or the other.

From their site also:
Which Meter Do I Need For My Reptile – Model 6.5R Reptile UV Index Meter or the Model 6.2R Reptile UVB Lamp Meter?

Ideally, reptile keepers will want both meters. Because the Model 6.5R Reptile UV Index Meter's erythemally weighted action spectrum is extremely close to the action spectrum for vitamin D3 synthesis, it is the ideal tool to determine proper UV dose for your reptile, per the appropriate Ferguson Zone for the species. In fact, the 6.5R's readings can function as a proxy for the vitamin D3-producing ability of the habitat's light source. Meanwhile, the Model 6.2R Reptile UVB Lamp Meter is ideally suited to determine if UVB lamps are performing to manufacturer's specifications, gauge intensity, and measure aging over time. So, in short, use the Model 6.5R to determine proper UV dose for the animal, and use the Model 6.2R to determine UVB lamp output.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I have a Solarmeter 6.2, and I've been considering getting a 6.5, but I only trust the meter to tell me when it's time to replace the tubes, not if our beardie is getting enough UV, since I understand that how much Vitamin D3 they get is a function not only of how much UVB the lamp is putting out, but also of how much time the beardie spends basking. So it's important to monitor their behavior and their health, even if your meter tells you that the lamp is putting out the right amount of UV. (And forgive me if I'm overstating the obvious here. :oops: )

Our beardie happens to be really good at basking -- he spends most of his day worshiping his light bulbs. :wink:

I have also found a wide variation in individual UV tubes out of the box, even those of the same type from the same manufacturer. Some that we have purchased have had inadequate output even when they were supposedly brand new, so I think it's a really good idea to have a meter, rather than just replacing them after the recommended amount of time, and assuming they're good till then.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Selecting a solarmeter is a lot harder than I would think... was leaning toward a 6.2 but now Im leaning toward a 6.5. Still a bit unsure though.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Well, I like being able to measure outside or at the window screen so I know how much they would get if I take them outside. I don't think you can do that with a 6.2. I don't know, I found it easiest to deal with the 6.5 myself and at $189 from that site I listed seems like a good deal. I got one from them and works fine. I was a little worried if it was a legit site at the time.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Last time I checked, both the 6.2 and the 6.5 were running about $250, so that does sound like a pretty good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom