Sobe's Acting Funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobie

I've had my bearded dragon (Sobe) for around three months now. When I got him, he was just a baby. Small as the tip of my finger. He's been eating normally since I got him, loves his greens and crickets, sleeps normally. Likes to be handled. Etc. No major concerns there.

This evening I noticed he was staring at me from his log (across my bedroom) and when I was looking at him, he would rub his entire body against the log. I figured he was probably shedding and went over to give him a warm bath and get the dead, loose shedding off of him. I pulled the shedding from around his eyes, his shoulders/back area and then his stomach. Because it was loosely dangling.

Since his shedding has come off, he's been running around the tank and scratching his belly along the bedding and then launching himself into his water bowl. Literally launching. From wherever he's trying to burrow into.

I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or not.. seeing as he's the first beardie i've had. (He's also still scrounging out super worms from beneath his bedding and eating them. This normal?)

Thanks for the help!
-Nikki

Sobie

Original Poster
I'm not sure about exact temperatures, seeing as I've misplaced my thermometers. But I use a Zoo-Med UVB&A in one Dome 160 watt bulb.

But he was only doing the stomach rubbing thing for maybe a half hour. Then he ate some more and went to sleep. I'm wondering if his shedding was premature and maybe it pulled off more than just dead skin when I removed it?

Speedy01

Hmm it might have is he missing scales also
you need to check the temps soon a 160watt can get it hot in there and he may just want out of the heat i would wait for someone more experienced to answer but you really do need to check temp i got my thermometer today and fixed my beardies temp and he stoped glass dancing hope he gets better :D

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
I believe I read that you should never pull the dead skin off. If you feel it's irritating them, your supposed to put them in warm water and very gently rub the dead skin with a toothbrush.

Sobie

Original Poster
Well, my reptile-veterinarian told me that, since Sobe's had a problem with opening his eyes on his own due to "eye boogers", it was best to remove all shedding if it was loosely resting on the skin. To avoid him getting anything into his eyes that he didnt need to.

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Oh okay, that's just what I had read on here thinking maybe that your Beardie was a little irritated. But obviously a reptile vet would know better. :)

Sobie

Original Poster
That's alright. I'm welcome to new opinions. ^^ I was also told to never use a tooth brush. That it would rub scales off of him that weren't meant to be. Hence pulling the damp shedding off with my hands d"so that I felt the difference in tension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom