Soaking up the suds.. literally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova1014

Hatchling Member
So I've been having some interesting bath time behavior lately and am wondering if I'm not alone.. Recently I purchased a smaller tub to bathe miss Nova in (before I just put her in my parents bath tub!). Usually in the bath she would scratch and swim around, and the only way I could get her to drink would be by dripping water drops on her nose, and she would lap them up. Well when I placed her in her new tub, she did the oddest thing. She moved around a bit, but all of a sudden she dove her head in to the water and started lapping up the water, much like a dog. Afterwards, she would sit very up right and half puff her beard, which I found very odd.. I thought maybe she was dehydrated and it was a freak thing, but it has happened every time ive bathed her. So far it has been 4 times in the past 2 weeks. I managed to get a couple pictures (which I thought were very neat) and even a video! Take a look and see what you think.. has anyone else had this behavior from their dragon?

2013-01-11_18-20-15_973.jpg

2013-01-11_18-20-27_139.jpg

2013-01-11_18-20-11_895.jpg

2013-01-11_18-20-54_723.jpg

2013-01-11_18-20-50_221.jpg

I took the pictures, then whipped out the camera when it looked like she was going for it again.. twice in one bath!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavYHKHHLvk

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Awesome pics and video! :D I have only seen this with my Myah once and I was just as shocked! It looks like Nova saw the ripples and went for them, then figered out she really likes water! LOL! :lol: Nova looks amazing! Not dehydrated, and not stressed (bit of a dark beard but too little to worry about) I'd check the temps again just to rule out it being a tad warm (I'm sure the temps are just right) Some dragons just really like to drink. It's pretty darn rare to see or hear of a dragon enjoying it that much, but I think you just have a thirsty babe. Myah had not eatten or taken in fluids for over a month when she did it so it made sense that her tongue would be dry. LOL! This might just be Nova's "thing" Congrats! Most of us hear would love to see our BD's take in a big gulp! :D

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
I wish baby did that. She never drinks no matter how much I drip water on her nose. I read that it was a reflex that they will lick their nose if anything is on it. Baby never does this but always trys to lick if something is on her chin lol. My Dragon is backwards.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
Mr Dargon does this almost every time he gets a bath.

you just have to watch to make sure they don't stick their nostrils under as well. they can get water in their lungs and then make a coughing sound.

Tasty Treat has recently started drinking the water from the tub. mostly when i start dripping it on her nose, but then she wags her tail around while she drinks. it's too funny, but i can never get a video of her doing it!

they have both also started swimming around, so i've been adding more water in the tub for them.

jducky18

Hatchling Member
I wish my baby did that. Even if I drip water on his nose, he just stares at me with that look that says "seriously mom? stop nagging at me." He refuses to lick what's on his nose. When I put him in the small container I use for baths, he'll sit there for about four seconds and then sprint away. What temperatures do you use for your water, because I don't really have an idea of what temps to use. I usually just feel it on my wrist for whatever feels warm

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
Same temp you would use for a human baby. Just stick your enbow in and you will know if its too hot. Baby only likes baths when I use bottled water as the limescale in London is quite bad.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
jducky18":etukpmkp said:
I wish my baby did that. Even if I drip water on his nose, he just stares at me with that look that says "seriously mom? stop nagging at me." He refuses to lick what's on his nose. When I put him in the small container I use for baths, he'll sit there for about four seconds and then sprint away. What temperatures do you use for your water, because I don't really have an idea of what temps to use. I usually just feel it on my wrist for whatever feels warm
Tasty Treat was like this when she was smaller. I was very surprised when she started drinking the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom