So scared- Recovering from parasite…

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmsblaze

Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
Hi everyone.

Blaze, my 4 month old beardie is currently recovering from coccidea & is on week 1 after taking her antibiotic from the vet. She is eating well again & today had her first normal poop. I’m focusing on keeping her hydrated & eating her insects + greens. She is also shedding right now though of course.

I️ have only had her for 3 1/2 weeks so she is still getting used to her tank. The last 4 days, I’ve noticed that all she does is lay on her basking rock & she will occasionally climb her lil net. Sometimes eyes closed, sometimes just on her stomach, sometimes sitting on it normally. When I️ first got her last month, she was super hyper & climbing & jumping but also glass surfing... She has not done that for a week now luckily. Is her new semi-lethargic behavior because she is recovering? Or is she getting normalized to her tank now?

My other beardie never had this issue so I️ am not sure what I️ should be expecting :(

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 69691CD2-4A78-438C-9407-6E8255C9AA78.jpeg
    69691CD2-4A78-438C-9407-6E8255C9AA78.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 7E50C2FC-5AF9-4C41-8BE4-B610A36888F5.jpeg
    7E50C2FC-5AF9-4C41-8BE4-B610A36888F5.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 68
  • F48F3177-DDED-4331-A023-5E7A67B1ACC6.jpeg
    F48F3177-DDED-4331-A023-5E7A67B1ACC6.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 72

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone.

Blaze, my 4 month old beardie is currently recovering from coccidea & is on week 1 after taking her antibiotic from the vet. She is eating well again & today had her first normal poop. I’m focusing on keeping her hydrated & eating her insects + greens. She is also shedding right now though of course.

I️ have only had her for 3 1/2 weeks so she is still getting used to her tank. The last 4 days, I’ve noticed that all she does is lay on her basking rock & she will occasionally climb her lil net. Sometimes eyes closed, sometimes just on her stomach, sometimes sitting on it normally. When I️ first got her last month, she was super hyper & climbing & jumping but also glass surfing... She has not done that for a week now luckily. Is her new semi-lethargic behavior because she is recovering? Or is she getting normalized to her tank now?

My other beardie never had this issue so I️ am not sure what I️ should be expecting :(

Any help is appreciated!
I see she is shedding - shedding can effect the appetite and it slows down - and yes the effects of the meds can cause a slow down in behavior --- I was looking at your tank set up and noticed a stick on digital -- please get a digital probe thermometer to place on the basking rock your using- its going to give you accurate temps - you dont need to leave it there but spot check that spot every week or so -- your UVB is a T 5 or a T 8 ? For distance of a T 5 should be 12-15 inches for a T 8 distance of 6-8 inches both directly over the basking decor piece ---

gmsblaze

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
I see she is shedding - shedding can effect the appetite and it slows down - and yes the effects of the meds can cause a slow down in behavior --- I was looking at your tank set up and noticed a stick on digital -- please get a digital probe thermometer to place on the basking rock your using- its going to give you accurate temps - you dont need to leave it there but spot check that spot every week or so -- your UVB is a T 5 or a T 8 ? For distance of a T 5 should be 12-15 inches for a T 8 distance of 6-8 inches both directly over the basking decor piece ---
Okay got it, thank you. I️ have a temp gun as well that I️ use for the basking side! I️ have a T8 so I️ will definitely look at either mounting inside the tank or moving it more directly over her rock

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Okay got it, thank you. I️ have a temp gun as well that I️ use for the basking side! I️ have a T8 so I️ will definitely look at either mounting inside the tank or moving it more directly over her rock
The T 8 needs to be unobstructed please either the screen off or inside the tank -- distance should be 6-8 inches --- bulb should be replaced in 6 months I recommend 5

gmsblaze

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
The T 8 needs to be unobstructed please either the screen off or inside the tank -- distance should be 6-8 inches --- bulb should be replaced in 6 months I recommend 5
Got it. I’ll place it inside the tank. Thanks so much for the advice

gmsblaze

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
Got it. I’ll place it inside the tank. Thanks so much for the advice
How is this? :)

Attachments

• 354348DB-6B76-4065-BFFC-A14E1B582330.jpeg
    354348DB-6B76-4065-BFFC-A14E1B582330.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 62

gmsblaze

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
Please get a piece of decor directly under the uvb-- 6-8 inches - I can't really tell if there is a piece there
There’s a branch she likes to sit on 6 inches below but I’ll move it a little closer to her basking rock to ensure she can sit under. Thanks so much again

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The new lighting placement of the tube bulb for UVB looks good now. Shedding definitely does
interfere with appetite & activity. Which antibiotic was she on? Have you given any probiotic for
her to help her system get back to normal?
If you can look to get her a non dairy acidophiliz or a non dairy organic soy yogurt (plain or a flavor)
to give to her daily for a couple of weeks that might help with appetite.
She is very cute!

Tracie

gmsblaze

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
Hello,

The new lighting placement of the tube bulb for UVB looks good now. Shedding definitely does
interfere with appetite & activity. Which antibiotic was she on? Have you given any probiotic for
her to help her system get back to normal?
If you can look to get her a non dairy acidophiliz or a non dairy organic soy yogurt (plain or a flavor)
to give to her daily for a couple of weeks that might help with appetite.
She is very cute!

Tracie
Okay good thank you! I just got Nutriback dietary supplement & nature zone bearded dragon vitamins + probiotics to give her interchangeably with her repticalcium. Will look into the non dairy options!! Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom