So Much FUN --- Viv build complete with new resident

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangoB

This has to be one of my all time favorite projects - it really gets your creative juices flowing . What a blast to create . And being a first time reptile owner - I can say is just as awesome - so far anyhow , we have only had him or her ( Rango) for a week and me and my wife are totally in Love. We really want to thank this site and all of it's people for all the info that is available through it . We probably would not have became Dragon owners or felt comfortable enough to tackle this project , without this site . Our enclosure still has a few bugs to work out -so if you see something we are missing or need to change - please speak up . If any one wants info on how anything was done or help in any way , speak up as well. Thanks again to this site and everyone here .

Great job on the build. And that's a cutie you got there. If you put as much time and caring into you new family member as you did the build then you are in for a great experience. I keep coming up with plans for a build than I see a new idea and scrap my plans and start over. I understand the fun in building and doing it yourself. Again great job.

ju5t1n

Juvie Member
Wow great job! I'm digging the different textures and how nothing is flat. Awesome details.

-Justin

CliffsMom

Just a quick question: how thick is the wood you used? (I'm trying to make my own!)

Thanks!
Catherine and Lil Clifford

hey can i just ask you how long did u wait between putting on each layer of grout , and how long did u wait until you started putting sealant on the grout?

RangoB

Original Poster
I Let the grout dry completely between coats , So it depends on how much water you use and how thick and how many layers you have built up-- wait at least until there are no damp looking spots left and it all has changed color - it will look dry , I waited at least 6 or 8 hours between coats . as far as sealing it - you should wait at least 48 hours for the final coat of grout to dry --- you need to be really care full as the grout will chip real easy for a long time as it hardens with time --- I think the more coats of grout you put on - the less prone it will be to chipping --post a pic -and have fun

oh and one more question how long should i wait for the sealant to dry and air out before i can put my beardie in there ? im making a 75gal tank btw

RangoB

Original Poster
depends on what you are sealing with ---- I would wait at least a few days - maybe longer -- you don't want to smell the sealer at all other wise your friend will still be breathing vapors that could harm him or her and that is not good - I did not use traditional grout sealers on mine ,so I am not sure about the time on them - just going by what I have read - ---I used bulls eye shellac as it is all natural and Non-toxic/hypoallergenic – Dry shellac is certified by the Food and Drug Administration as a protective glaze for candy and pharmaceuticals . It is also alcohol based so it dry's fast and can be used on masonry/concrete -it dyed like within an hour and then I re coated at least 2 coats and then I let it set a few days and had no smell left at all , I use vinegar and water wipes to clean up Rango's waste and it cleans up easy . As far as the finish on the wood I prefer to use a few coats of coconut oil -- available at your grocer -you do need to reapply every once in awhile when it gets dull looking-as it does not build up a coat instead it penetrates - but it is ok to digest even after months of time. It;s easy to apply -just wipe on and wipe the excess off and you have a beautiful shine just like furniture polish yet safe to digest . let me know if you have other ?s

RangoB

Original Poster
thanks - I think Rango Likes it -he keeps re arranging what he can - gotta have that personal touch ,lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom