SO Frustrated at temps!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLB85

So I've been working for months on this new enclosure for my 4.5 month old beardie. I'm finally at the stage where I can put him in, but I've been testing out heating and NOTHING is working to get the right temps! First I started with halogens, because that's what was in his old tank. I tried 50W, 60W, 75W, and nothing got hot enough on his basking spot. I couldn't find a 100W or 150W, so I just went out and got 2, 150W reptile heat bulbs. The bulb directly over his basking branch is only 11-12" away and it won't go past 98 - and that takes about an hour to reach that temp! Is it normal for it to take this long for the basking temp to rise? At his age I need it to get to 105-110. I can't get a hotter bulb either because the hoods are only rated to 160W. :banghead: My only other option is to put the lights in the tank, but I don't know how I would attach them under the screen. I also can't move the branch up, because it already hits the bottom of the shelf it's under. Argh!!! :angry5: Any suggestions??? Oh and also, the bulb is emitting a smell. It's brand new and I think it's just of-gassing, but is that normal?
93324-7356537594.jpg
93324-9504161500.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
98 is perfectly fine as long as its not below 95 on the basking spot. Make sure the probe is directly on the basking spot as well. The enclosure looks amazing and im sure that he or she will love it. I assume the uvb bulb is with the current beardies enclosure?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Do you have screen on top ? If so, cover part of it to insulate + keep the heat in better.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I use a table dimmer, they can be found on Amazon for around $12, great investment. They allow you to get the exact temps you need!

KLB85

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! Yes the UV light, which is an Arcadia, is currently in his other tank. I don't want to move it over until everything is fine tuned because I'm thinking it might be a bit of a difficult task to install it under the screen. I do have screens on the top, I was thinking about covering them too, I think I will try that because our house gets pretty cold in the winter time. But it will only keep the ambient temperature up right? Or do you think it could make the basking spot hotter too?

I put him in last night for half and hour to run around and check out his new place. He seemed to like exploring, but I think the branch is too steep for him to easily reach the basking spot because he didn't go back up there after he jumped down to explore. I'll have to play with it, maybe add something into the basking area to raise it slightly, as I can't lower the lights. The challenge between aesthetics and practicality :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom