So Confused...and extremly upset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shantara

Last night I got home and did my normal routine with Kal El. Bathed him and fed him. He was fine .....till this morning. Normally he sleeps wraped up in a blanket .....curled up in my closed. I dont put him there...he runs around on the floor and then curls up in there himself. He has always loved the closet. Well this morning I woke up and went to go get him, He was laying flat on the floor....blood coming from his ear...and out of his mouth. It looked like a crime scene. There were a few blood spots on the floor a few feet beside him and he wasnt breathing. He was never a really active dragon....in fact he was extremaly mellow. I have no idea what happened, or what I could have done to prevent this. He never moves in his sleep. Till last night...he was across the room away from the closet. If you have any comments or suggestions. Please let me know. Im very upset and trying to figure out what happened. All I know is my dog is a pit lab and boxer.....65 pounds. I know if she would have done something...the dragon would have been destroyed. Kal El would crawl up on my dogs back and lay there....they were what some people would say good friends. So whatever happened was a freak accident. I just wish I knew what happened. They always played on the floor together...and whatever i get attached to ....Arianna got attached to.

binger

Hatchling Member
Shantara":e1ebb said:
Last night I got home and did my normal routine with Kal El. Bathed him and fed him. He was fine .....till this morning. Normally he sleeps wraped up in a blanket .....curled up in my closed. I dont put him there...he runs around on the floor and then curls up in there himself. He has always loved the closet. Well this morning I woke up and went to go get him, He was laying flat on the floor....blood coming from his ear...and out of his mouth. It looked like a crime scene. There were a few blood spots on the floor a few feet beside him and he wasnt breathing. He was never a really active dragon....in fact he was extremaly mellow. I have no idea what happened, or what I could have done to prevent this. He never moves in his sleep. Till last night...he was across the room away from the closet. If you have any comments or suggestions. Please let me know. Im very upset and trying to figure out what happened.

I'm SO sorry for your loss.... that's so terrible.. :(

Is there anything he could have climbed onto and fallen off, or anything (dog, parent, roommate)that could have accidentally stepped on him? Is there a high shelf he could have found his way onto and slipped? I know my baby boy will get up on the couch, and if I'm not there to stop him he'll fall right off.....

Again, I am SO sorry... this makes me feel terribly sad...

Shantara

Original Poster
Thanks. I have a dog..She normally leaves him alone, but that has been a thought in my head...cause at night my dog sleeps in the room as well. Im thinking Kal El Crawled out of his blanket and moved around the room (cause lately he has been sleeping a whole lot) and Arianna (my dog) accidently crushed him somehow. He was by the door but not by it to where the door would have got him. He also might have had a ear drum busted....I have no idea, But thankyou for replying and shedding some light on this.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
oh wow im extremely saddened by your loss, i couldnt even start to imagine the pain you felt when you woke up and found this, well i suppose thats a hard lesson to learn
again sorry for your loss

LJean

Extreme Poster
Sorry for your loss. I hope you can figure out what happened. Did you look him over to see if the dog bit him? I know I can't have my dog and dragons in the same room (on the floor) because I have a giant breed dog and stepping on the dragon, even playfully would be dangerous.

Shantara

Original Poster
Yes and she is a 65 pound Pit, Lab and boxer. If she would have...she would have destroyed him. Whatever I get attached to she becomes overprotected of. She didnt do anything. Something was wrong .....and it was a freak accident. Thanks everyone for your concern and thoughts. I really apriciate it. ;-)

Shantara

Original Poster
Are you serious??? Of course he does. He was normally out of his cage and when it was time to put him back in there.....he was put back in there. He never wanted to sleep in there and for the many months that I have had him ..... He did just fine sleeping that way. Something was wrong .....nothing more.... I wouldnt have a dragon or anything else without a proper home....My dragon...went everywhere with me.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
I'm so sorry for your loss. To me, it sounds like a crushing injury, and I would be inclined to think perhaps your dog accidently laid down on or rolled over onto him? I had a ferret die in a similar fashion when I was young, she was crushed by a couch and it sounds exactly like what you're describing. I can't think of anything else that would cause blood to leak from mouth/ear. It's horrible. :( I would suggest if you get another in the future, keeping them in their vivs when you're not around or concious is always a good idea, because accidents happen. They may not like it, but it's for their safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom