Snowed In With Power Cuts - What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PianoforteWolf

Since three in the morning the electricity has been turned on and off. It's on now and my beardie (Zookie) is nice and warm. We have been told to expect power cuts during the following days and I don't know what to do.

Last night, within an hour the hot side of the tank fell from about 30C to 18.5C. The power came back on afterwards and cut off later but Zookie's alright. I think the cold has killed most of the crickets but we have enough food to hold out without them I think.

What I'm truly worried about is if the power cuts again, and I have to keep her warm, what's the best thing I can do? I am a novice reptile keeper and I am very worried for her. If it helps, she isabout 7 months, and 28cm from nose to tail tip. Thank you in advance for your kind answers.

BDMom22

Juvie Member
Hi!
There is not really much you can do. Maybe you could cuddle up w/ the beardie and he could get your body heat for a while. I'm sure since they are expecting the power outages that means they have people on standby to fix them as soon as they can, so you shouldn't have to worry about being without power for long periods of time.

Best of luck, and don't worry too much

Indie85

Hatchling Member
Do you have a hot water bottle? Maybe you could heat up some water on the stove if you've got gas? And put in under some blankets. It's some heat at least. Im assuming you don't have heat packs, so this is the next best thing i should think?

PianoforteWolf

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help. We are coping with the low temperatures okay now. Got plenty of food for Zookie so I hope it lasts for a while. There's so much snow, we can't open our front door. Thanks from all of us here!

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I would recommend getting some hand warmers for future power outages, like these http://www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemid=HWES40 You can get them in different sizes and hours of use. If you use them make sure you put something in between the warmer and your beardie, such as a cloth or towel.
The warmers can be found at drug stores and sporting good stores. I noticed you are more than likely not in the states, so I can't tell you where to get them. You could also get them online if need be.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Dawn--she cant get out of her house and I am sure there is no mail if she is SNOWED in her house--thus her concern.

Original poster--make rice socks WHENEVER you do have power. Feed her less during the day since u dont know when power will go out.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
the irony of this whole conversation for me? My power just went out for 3 minutes 2 different times AS SOON as I posted here!

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
munchkins9802":dd770 said:
Dawn--she cant get out of her house and I am sure there is no mail if she is SNOWED in her house--thus her concern.
HeHe... you are talking to a Florida girl... LOL... what's snow? :roll: :lol:

Let me rephrase my reply to the OP. When you are able to get out of your house you may pick up the hand warmers for "future" power outages or snow-ins :wink:

athenacp

Extreme Poster
I am going to venture a guess and say that the poster is in England...they are having a terrible time right now with the snow, there are power cuts going on to conserve as they are almost out of natural gas for heating!

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Yes it is very bad here, and there are many houses without power. Do you have a gas heater at all??

If not water bottles, rice socks and suggles up to you should be ok

I agree, the snow is deep here! I cant get to any pet shops for locusts nor can I get any delivered. Plus im almost out of veg and only have mealworms left. Plus my heating doesnt work properly at the moment, My poor baby! Hopefully we wont get power cuts as well, I will make some rice socks (if we have any rice!) just in case!

Im sure loadsa snuggles with you will keep him toasty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom