small update on Ranma and a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

aronoiiel

I went out today (finally got a stinking day off >_<) and got a hood that covers the length of his tank and cut a hole in the mesh of his screen so it can shine through unbothered. I gave him a bath while my roomie set up the light and cut the mesh and he was soooo happy and content; especially when drying off. When I put him back though he just blew up with stress marks so I was wondering why that might be? I also got a new probe temp thing and it says it's 108degrees but also 50% humidity? ? ? I'm confused on why it's so high and how I would bring that down? Also if his temp gets above the 110 or 115 mark do I just turn off the light for a while to bring it back down? I'm sure once I get his viv built in a month or so this will all be much easier with timers and stuff but until then I'm a little concerned. He has eaten a few bites of his green mash that I've been making lol kid loves his raspberries :) I know he shouldn't eat them alot but if he only takes a few bites every other day I think he'll be ok right?

Thanks again everyone I'd be so lost without this forum. When I went to get his light at Petco this guy totally lectured me about how the space between the eyes feeding was crap and how I should be feeding him mediums and how the mesh and light thing was a myth (which I think he has issues cause it said on every box with a uvb bulb that the mesh interferes with at least %50 uvb rays) and all this other stuff completely contradicting what I've learned on here >_< He has a beardie that is an adult and is healthy and stuff. It's so hard to know how to keep them healthy and happy with so many opinions and facts contradicting each other :(

Here's some pics I took today:

He has been sleeping up there the past couple nights I'm assuming it's because he's not getting the UVB he is needing???
DSCF1441.jpg

This one I believe the dark colors are his stress marks? He was all white in the bath earlier before I put him in there
DSCF1443.jpg

i placed my uvb light inside the tank with my guy. i used velco stick on thingys that i found at home depot. that way its atleast 8 inches from him. how far is that uvb from him? it's really not the mesh it's the distance that concerns me. stress marks could be from anything. your temps seem fine, make sure there isn't water being sprayed in the tank that will make the humidity go up. he looks like a cute healthy little guy! nice set up by the way.

aronoiiel

Original Poster
yankswin13":1r0m3sko said:
i placed my uvb light inside the tank with my guy. i used velco stick on thingys that i found at home depot. that way its atleast 8 inches from him. how far is that uvb from him? it's really not the mesh it's the distance that concerns me. stress marks could be from anything. your temps seem fine, make sure there isn't water being sprayed in the tank that will make the humidity go up. he looks like a cute healthy little guy! nice set up by the way.

Thank you very much for the reply :) I figured him being young pretty much everything will stress him out. I stopped sprtizing him after I joined here and learned that was not a good idea I also took the water dish out since it was essentially useless to him. When he's on his spots ie: log or rock the light is about 8-9inch up when he's on the floor it's 10inches up so I figured leaving it outside the tank was ok since it's not that high up. I did get command hooks to mount it inside but he's a climber and jumper I didn't want him to be able to knock is loose or anything. . though now that I think about it I could just drill holes int he side and stick it on the hooks that way :roll: I'm not really intellectually inclined in the heat of the moment lol. The basking spot went up to 118 earlier I'm presuming since we're at 85 today outside and I don't have AC :shock: so I just shut off his basking light for a while and it's back to a comfortable 100 for him.

they make dimmers, i'm sure possibly a hardware store may have one to help with the heat so you don't have to turn it off. i'm sure someone could chime in on that. they make a lamp that they sell at pet stores with a built in dimmer as well.

i took my water bowl out as well. mine never even used it or went in it. i make sure he gets bathed and gets water else where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom