Small for supposed age?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We brought home our first beardie nearly 3 weeks ago and the shop that we had him from said he was 5 months old, but he was only about 7.5 inches in length. I didn't query it at the time until I started reading about others of the same age on here. Last week I weighed him and he was only 22g. I have just remeasure him and he is closer to 9 inches now and in 4 days has gone up to 24g - but isn't this very very small for a supposed 6 month old?? His set up is good and temperatures fine. He's eating at least morning and night and most days about 10 medium sized locusts (pet shop said 3 morning and night) and I have been feeding him for 10 mins or until he stops being intersted. He spends most of his day climbing round in the plants we have in viv so is reasonably active I think. Do you think the pet shop got the wrong age for him and could anyone have a guess at his age

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

It's possible that is his actual age. If he isn't housed or fed properly, he won't really grow. Luckily when they are young like that they will start growing again pretty quickly once proper husbandry and diet is introduced to them :)

-Brandon

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
Thanks for that. I'm just worried that his weight is so much lower than all the others I have read about - some have been 140g and 12/14,inches at this age :(.
Do you think he will catch up eventually and do you think I should be feeding him more than twice a day? He also doesn't eat veggies the odd bit here and there but def not enough.i still offer veggies everyday..

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No, he should catch up and start growing normally :)

I wouldn't be forcing him to eat more than he wants or needs. Remember, the goal is health, not to have the largest dragon. Not to make him grow quick. As long as he is healthy, that is all that matters :)

So feed him a healthy diet, and let the rest take care of itself :)

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Its good that he is active but he should be basking so he can get his food digested--- can you give us a run down on his lighting please-- basking temps and how your taking them ?? UVB your using brand and bulb please--- and if you can post pics of the tank and lighting
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/click on XIMG at top of message box
Karrie

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
Hi,
I have never force him to eat, he just closes his eyes if we waft a locust in from of him and we know he has had enough!!
Already posted pics of tank and lighting etc in the newbie page and he now has a new T5 uvb across 2/3 of his tank and his basking temps are good. He has basking spots at various temperatures hottest around 105 which he tends not to use much. Don't see him gaping much but he is quite often up in his vines climbing or just sitting so maybe he is hot enough up there??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom