Slower metabolism

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hi,

Recently I’ve noticed that Leo’s metabolism has slowed a lot, he’s been eating like a horse but poops once a week and even after that he still has a saggy belly. I’m not over feeding him, he eats 15 crickets and 2 supers.

I guess the only change to his environment was the new basking bulb, I moved from Flukers 100w to a Zoomed 100w because they didn’t have any in stock. His basking spot is the same as always (around 100f).

Is it just the semi brumation messing him up? Or is he genuinely overeating somehow? Cause he isn’t inflating himself, he is genuinely getting a bit chubs. The weird thing is the fat is only going to his belly.

His tail and legs look the exact same. But his belly! Oh the belly! It dwarfs the legs and tail by a lot, should I cut back on the supers? I’ve been cutting bugs out for a few days a week, but it doesn’t seem to be helping.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hi,

Recently I’ve noticed that Leo’s metabolism has slowed a lot, he’s been eating like a horse but poops once a week and even after that he still has a saggy belly. I’m not over feeding him, he eats 15 crickets and 2 supers.

I guess the only change to his environment was the new basking bulb, I moved from Flukers 100w to a Zoomed 100w because they didn’t have any in stock. His basking spot is the same as always (around 100f).

Is it just the semi brumation messing him up? Or is he genuinely overeating somehow? Cause he isn’t inflating himself, he is genuinely getting a bit chubs. The weird thing is the fat is only going to his belly.

His tail and legs look the exact same. But his belly! Oh the belly! It dwarfs the legs and tail by a lot, should I cut back on the supers? I’ve been cutting bugs out for a few days a week, but it doesn’t seem to be helping.
@AHBD is probably the best for advice on weight control.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
@AHBD is probably the best for advice on weight control.
Thanks for flagging her, in the meantime I’m going to try some different things to see if that helps. I plan on making him a bigger salad and feeding him less insects. He can eat the extra salad if he’s still hungry, and I’ll restock it when needed. Also, I’m going to try to feed him slower to see if that works at all.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Was he eating the 17 bugs every day ? If so that's way too much for an adult beardie. Definitely cut back to about 8-10 insects 2 X a week for a while . Even then you'd be surprised how slowly they lose weight but it's important to start now.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Was he eating the 17 bugs every day ? If so that's way too much for an adult beardie. Definitely cut back to about 8-10 insects 2 X a week for a while . Even then you'd be surprised how slowly they lose weight but it's important to start now.
I never said that he was fully grown. He is 8 and 1/2 months old, and I can confirm that; I spoke with the breeder and he confirmed the hatch date to be March 7th, 2023. So, I respectfully disagree.

Last edited:

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I’d attach a photo but I’m out of the house right now, so Ill take one when I get back.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K that last post came as I was typing. So that size is likely nearing adult size, his weight sounds pretty good. Just cut back on the bugs though so the remainder of his time growing more, if his length increases, will be slow and natural.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
O.K that last post came as I was typing. So that size is likely nearing adult size, his weight sounds pretty good. Just cut back on the bugs though so the remainder of his time growing more, if his length increases, will be slow and natural.
Alright… so you’d suggest doing the transition to the adult diet already?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, cut the bugs down to every other day or even every 3rd day and decrease the amount. Some days you can go " off the diet " but not by much and of course if you see him noticeably looking thinner you just up the feeding slightly again. He'll do fine that way.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Yes, cut the bugs down to every other day or even every 3rd day and decrease the amount. Some days you can go " off the diet " but not by much and of course if you see him noticeably looking thinner you just up the feeding slightly again. He'll do fine that way.
Fantastic! Here is the picture by the way:
1698347638680.jpeg

This was after a poop. By the way, any idea why his legs look so tiny by the big belly of his? Is it just that the legs haven’t caught up with the body yet?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The legs/arms will fill out and even if they don't get plump it's because there is variation in the body type just like other animals .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom