sleepy baby bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayster24x1

Hatchling Member
I bought a baby bearded dragon couple months ago and when I brought him home he was playful and enjoyed eating mixed greens but the past couple days he was been sleepy. I have given him a bath and he is drinking water but not sure now why he is sleepy all the time. Could this be him about to get ready to shed?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's quite possible the shed has him down. I'd monitor his weight and keep offering water and food and see if he starts to perk up a bit as the shed progresses. What do you have for a temperature gradient and UVB source in his enclosure?

kayster24x1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
His cage is at 85 degrees and I have been giving him daily baths that he likes to drink but he wont take any food. I keep offering him his greens but he wont take any food.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds a bit low which may be affecting his appetite and health. For a baby, I suggest having a basking area between about 100-110 with some areas around that in the 90s. The cool side of the tank should be around 75-80 or so during the day. There should also be a source of UVB light over the basking area. It's important to get accurate temperature readings using an IR temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe. You can adjust the temperatures by raising/lowering the basking light or the basking site depending on what your setup will allow for. I've found it helpful to use an adjustable lamp stand to raise/lower the basking light to get the correct temps, or to use a lamp dimmer to control the output of the bulb.

kayster24x1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have a lamp stand for my dragons. My dragon that I am having trouble with is a couple months old and does have a reptisun 10 but everytime I make his cage hotter than 85 be will hide under his cave

kayster24x1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I changed his heating temperature and it's hotter in his cage but he won't eat but he is still sleepy but will open his eyes when you go near his cage. I am wondering if he don't just like his cage because I took him out to see if we would play and he climbed all over me then he goes in his cage and goes to sleep

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that he's active when he's out of his cage. Can you post some photos of the setup? I'll be glad to review it and see if anything stands out as a possible issue.

kayster24x1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm sorry my phone will not let me take any pictures but I have a 18 inch long reptisun 10.0. I have white shelf liner for the flooring and a cave to hide in but he just stays on top of it and a 75 Watt household bulb and I have all sides of the cage covered the sides of the tank with Christmas wrapping paper

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How far above the basking area do you have the ReptiSun 10? Is there any mesh top or plastic between the bulb and the basking site? The 18'' bulbs have an optimal output at about 6-8'' when used with a reflective fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom