Sleeping under the water bowl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon Felix likes to dig under his water bowl and sleep there. He doesn't usually go into his hides... is there something wrong or is this just normal? I'm new with beardies so anything would be greatly appreciated.

IMG00074.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would take him out from there right away or he could smother. How old is he and how long have you had him? It's possible that there's something in the tank that he's trying to get away from like temps too high, a UVB, etc or even another beardie. Could you answer these questions for us, it would help a lot.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

iLoveMyFelix

Original Poster
I think he is about 2 months. I have had him for 2 weeks, it's a male. The enclosure is 20 gallon tall.
I am using play sand that you get from department stores. I'm not sure what kind of light I have.
The brand is Exo Terra I think it's just a basking bulb 150 Watts. I've had it for a week. I'm not sure how close it is but it's pretty high up. Basking temps go from 90 - 95. I don't know what it is on the cool side. It's a stick on thermometer. I take the temps at the top of the cage on the wall on the basking side. I use a heat pad. I feed him 10-15 dusted and gutloaded crickets a day, about 3 calcium worms a week, calard greens, and apples. I feed in the morning 8am and evening 6pm. He is having regular bowel movements. I haven't bathed my dragon. I do mist him. He has his own enclosure. I have not taken him to the vet yet.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
I would ditch the stick on thermo, they arent very good and that sounds like alot of wattage for a small tank, and your also running a heat pad at the same time as the basking bulb? That could be the reason why hes hiding, it sounds like hes trying to get out of the heat. . . also he should be eating more then 10-15 crickets, what size are the ones you are feeding him? and are u using any type of UVB?

iLoveMyFelix

Original Poster
I think the bulb I'm using is UVB I'm pretty sure it is. they are the pinheads. and the temp gauge is the circle kind....

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, a 150 watt basking bulb in a 20 gallon? That is probably why he IS hiding, trying to escape the heat. When I used a tank that size for a short time with a baby, I only needed a 75 watt household bulb in the winter and a 60 watt bulb in the summer. The round gauge thermometers can be 20 degrees off and sometimes more. With that thermometer stuck to the glass, you're only measuring the glass temp not the actual basking temp, so I suggest you get a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end right away so you know what the actual temp is. Here's a thermometer that would work good http://www.petmountain.com/product/thermometers/511260/zoo-med-digital-terrarium-thermometer.html or you could go to Walmart and get the AcuRite brand for about $12.00 which will give you the basking & cool side temps at the same time as well as the humidity level.

Are you only using one bulb in the tank? It isn't a mercury vapor bulb, is it? Can you look for the box or read what it says on the bulb, this is very important. You really should bathe him because too high of temps cause rapid dehydration especially in babies. Since he is hiding to escape the heat, he is more than likely dehydrated too. A 15 to 20 min bath in warm water with the vent area (where he poos) right down in the water will help hydrate him. Oh, and the heat mats are dangerous because if they overheat, they can cause burns on their bellies. Beardies sense heat from their 3rd eye on top of their heads so by the time they feel too hot on their belly, the damage could already have been done. :(

Any type of loose substrate is a risk impaction since babies taste everything and are clumsy eaters. You really should think about switching to a solid substrate like non-adhesive shelf liner, slate tiles, reptile carpeting or even paper towels.

Any questions?

iLoveMyFelix

Original Poster
Thanks! I put in a 60 Watt and he is now out and basking is the thermometer from pet mountain able to do both sides aswell? :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, once you switched to the 60 watt he started basking? That's great especially since all sorts of problems could arise when they don't bask. I would really suggest a warm bath as he is probably dehydrated which can be very serious for a baby. Were you able to find out anything about a UVB light, do you have one? If so, what does it look like or please post the box info or just what it says on the bulb itself. This is also very important.

No, that particular thermometer that I posted info about won't give you both readings at the same time. Here's a picture of the AcuRite that I got at Walmart for $12.00 and this one will give you both readings at once & has the humidity readout too. Quite a few members here have it and like it. I'll explain how you use it and I think that will convince you that it is worth the money. :p You lay the probe end so that it is resting on the basking area and the thermometer part way over on the bottom of the cool side, wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising, then the "out" reading will be the basking temp and the "in" reading the cool side temp and the humidity level will also be noted.
100_0297.jpg
Depending on the temps, you may have to go up to a 75 watt, will have to see what the results are that you get. You'll want a basking temp of about 104 and up to 110 for a baby and a cool side of between 75 to 85 with 80 being ideal.

If you bought one that only had one readout, then you would have to put the probe end on the basking area, wait about 45 min to get the basking temp then move the probe to the bottom of the cool side, and wait about another 45 min to get that temp.

iLoveMyFelix

Original Poster
I don't have UVB, but the 150 Watt had UVA. He was basking under the 150W also but he would go back and forth between hot and cold... Would the dimensions of the enclosure be of any use? Well here they are just in case. L 30in W 12.5in H 19in, and he is 3.5in snout to vent.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since the tank is kinda tall, the dimensions show about a 30 gallon but a 150 watt is still too much for that size. I have a 100 gallon tank and don't even need that much wattage in that size. That does explain why he was running from basking to cool side, wanted to warm up but then got too hot after a few minutes.

You will need to get a UVB light because without one, he will get metabolic bone disease. You can read about that here: http://www.petplace.com/reptiles/metabolic-bone-disease-in-reptiles/page1.aspx This site has the bulb for about half of what you would pay in a petstore & is a great company to deal with. You can get 5% off until 1/31/09. For the hood, you can go to Walmart and buy a standard fluorescent light like you would use over a kitchen sink, in a basement or garage. Remove the plastic cover & the bulb that comes with it and put the fluorescent bulb in but leave the cover off. I suggest you get a UVB as soon as you can because not having one can affect their total health.

If you have any questions, let me know.

iLoveMyFelix

Original Poster
Okay so I can use reptile carpet? The only reason I'm asking is because my beardie book I bought said it would tear off his claws... and I definantly don't want that to happen. :study:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've never used it, have heard about problems with them getting their claws stuck in the hammocks but not on the reptile carpet. I have heard that it can be hard to clean the poop up though. Non-adhesive shelf liner or slate tiles are MUCH easier to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom