Skipping brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apolla

Hi, not sure if this is behavior or health. I've seen posts and threads about dragons that haven't brumated before and I know that you can keep them from brumating but I'm wondering if they can skip a brumation on their own.

Boga has brumated the past two winters and it's now almost January and she's still awake. Not eating unless it's a bug or a blueberry, not very active either, but she's not brumating. Her temps and humidity are all the same as they were the previous years. I've adjusted her lights so they go off an hour earlier than her normal winter lighting to see if maybe I can prompt her into brumation.

Is it normal to skip a brumation period? She seems healthy otherwise, just...I can't figure out why she's still awake so close to January. Previous years have had her asleep by December.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes this is possible. I'm seeing this as well. My guy would reliably go into brumation around September and stay asleep until late Dec/early Jan every year. Last year he went into a second brumation around April/May and has remained active and awake ever since, skipping his typical fall brumation. As long as everything else seems OK and she isn't losing weight, then she is probably OK.

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Thanks.

If I were her, I'd brumate. I keep asking her, "Why are you awake?" Sadly, she never answers ;)
hi how old is your beardie do you know? also i have Mango ( the bearded dragon) downstairs where it gets pretty cold so i just preffer to brumate her rather than let her suffer in the cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom