skin problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
You can use a MVB then! It has your uvb and basking light all together! The bulbs are a little more, but last a full year.

He's a beauty!

gizmosmom

Original Poster
Ok so I'm thinking of MVB now. So this bulb can be used for heat and uvb? I will not need a tube light or any other uvb source? I have a 72 gal tank what watt bulb do you think I need??? Which is better I hear alot about trex and mega ray?

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
I have a 55gal and use a 100w. I think most people suggest 100w, but you could wait for some other answers. The three top ones are powersun, megaray and trex. From what I hear, megaray and trex are the best and give off the most heat. since you have a big tank, you might actually want to get a seperate LOWER wattage, household bulb to put a little more heat on the cool side of the tank. If this confuses you, I'll post a pictures of how mine is set up. The important thing about MVB's is the distance! They need to be at least 12 inches away from the basking spot. Let me know if you have any other questions. The best place to buy the mvb's are on petmountain.com, they have the lowest prices.

gizmosmom

Original Poster
Thank you so much. I would love to see pics of your set up. Just to be clear, I can just use the MVB in the basking spot for heat/uvb and thats all the uvb I need? Provided ,I get the right distance and temps. Then just use a regular bulb in the cool end for added heat if I need it? Is this correct? I have been reading about the MVB and it seems to be that distance is the most important factor. I am just worried about the wattage because my tank is so big. So if I did get a 100w and wasnt able to get the temps right in the hot spot, could I just use another regular bulb to help with that. I've read that the heat these put off is extremely intense. Just worried about what what size because they are so expensive. Thanks again for your help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes you can just use the Mercury vapor bulb for basking & UVB & that is all the UVB that he will need. You may need additional heating depending on what the temps run but most of the time you don't. So if you happen to need another light just use a household bulb but I kind of doubt you will need anything else. The 100watts get our basking spot around 105+ directly underneath it & that is fine. They regulate themselves. Which one are you getting?
He is going to shed his head isn't he? :D How is he doing today?

Tracie

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
from personal experience. I have a Powersun MVB, not a bad bulb whatsoever, but it doesn't throw off much heat. I have two extra bulbs. One on the basking and one on the cool side, to get temps just right. I would suggest getting either a t-rex or a megaray, they throw off more heat. I'll go take a picture right now and post in a moment.

100_3542.jpg

the bulb all the way to the left is the extra low wattage bulb to raise the cool temps just a bit. My temps are between 77 and 80. The middle bulb is the actual MVB, it throws of generally no heat, that's why I have another bulb to the right directly over the basking spot. Once I get a trex or a megaray, I won't need the bulb all the way to the right.

Also, her enclosure is a little bare since I'm treating her for parasites right now. :D She was still sleeping when I took the picture. Woke her up right after for a nice beardie glare!

gizmosmom

Original Poster
I finally got my bulb yesterday. The only one I could find in my town was a Powersun 100w mvb. Thats what I am using right now. I plan to get a mega-ray or t-rex in the future, but I needed this today. Considering all the bad things I read about the bulb I was using (zilla t-5 dessert 50) this is a major improvement. Right now I am still messing with the temps though. I have a digital thermometer with a probe. Not sure where exactly I am supposed to take the reading. On the side of the tank, or directly under the light on the basking spot? I am making sure he is at least 12" from the bulb. Whats the best way to get an accurate temp reading?

Thank you Erin for posting the pics of your set up it looks great!! Only wish I could have caught a glimps of him. :wink:

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
place the probe directly on his basking spot and in 45 minutes you'll get an accurate reading. I don't know if you can see it or not.. but on the green hammock on the right side of the enclosure, I have a wire and probe there.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
I do, I don't know if others do or not. Once and a while I'll turn it off and back on again to restart to make sure that I have the correct temps. Temps in my house tend to fluctuate, that's why I keep it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom