Skin Irritation!!!HELP!!!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoxysMoM

I just got my new bearded yesterday and I noticed when I got home that she had some skin irritation behind her left hind leg, and then today noticed how yellow and crusty it turned as well as underneath...I am a Newbie when it comes to beardies and it worries me, Any answers would greatly be appreciated!!! The irritation behind her leg almost looks like dry skin with no scales underneath. HELP!!! :(
IMG_0542.jpg
IMG_0543_2.jpg

HaleyMaree

Gray-bearded Member
This can be very serious...to me it really looks like fungus. I would soak the baby for now and get to a vet asap!

What kind of substrate do you have her on??

~Haley

Esther19

BD.org Addict
It does look like she should see a vet asap. If you have her on sand, please remove it. Replace with paper towels or newspaper. When you can you might want to use tile or non-adhesive shelf liner. There is also reptile carpet.

Please keep us posted on how she is doing.
Esther

Gail

BD.org Addict
Yes, she needs a vet ASAP! Yellow fungus can be deadly if left untreated and it gets into the blood or organs. Personally, I would call the pet store and complain. It can take months to completely get rid of it and its highly contagious.
For now, you want to soak her in weak iodine water, make it look like weak tea. Don't let her drink any of the water that has iodine in it. You can get lamisil to rub on the fungus twice a day, it will help quite a lot.

RoxysMoM

Original Poster
I bought her from one of our local dealers that is highly respected,I bought her yesterday and the owners were out of town at a convention so I couldnt really discuss it with them. Plus I didnt really notice it until today after I soaked her and the skin on her back looked alittle soggy, and then I noticed the yellow on her belly. Im going to go into the breeders on monday to have them check her out..Im sure they can either give me some advice on how to treat it or give me something they have there...They are great breeders My sister and brother in law also recently purchased some beardies and they seem to be perfectly fine... I have read on home remedies I just want to have them look at them first...I was just curious to see if I wasnt the only one that thought it might be yellow fungus, and freaking out, being a newbie an all. I appreciate the responses and I will keep you all posted on how she is doing! :p

Oh and for substrate We have her on walnut seeds that the breeder highly recommended.:)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would switch out the walnut bedding though, as it is dangerous & can be ingested. A lot of dragons become impacted on walnut shell type of bedding.
That does look like yellow fungus which does need to be treated as soon as possible.

Tracie

Gail

BD.org Addict
If that dragon came from a breeder with a bad case of fungus like that, then I wouldn't be calling them respected. Not only did they not notice a bad case of fungus but they are giving terrible advice about the walnut shells. Ground walnut shells have very sharp edges and can slice up your dragons insides.
I think I would return it and get a refund. Yellow fungus isn't just a skin condition that can be treated with whatever a breeder gives you. It needs to be aggressively treated with antifungal creams and possible oral meds. Its a serious condition and she needs a vet, today if you can get her in.

Cath1068

Gail":2ygve2bq said:
If that dragon came from a breeder with a bad case of fungus like that, then I wouldn't be calling them respected. Not only did they not notice a bad case of fungus but they are giving terrible advice about the walnut shells. Ground walnut shells have very sharp edges and can slice up your dragons insides.
I think I would return it and get a refund. Yellow fungus isn't just a skin condition that can be treated with whatever a breeder gives you. It needs to be aggressively treated with antifungal creams and possible oral meds. Its a serious condition and she needs a vet, today if you can get her in.

I agree with Gail on this. Great breeders would notice if they had a sick baby/juvie and would not sell them. I would go see a vet ASAP.

RoxysMoM

Original Poster
Update!!!
Today I got ahold of the breeders and brought her into them to look at them. It turned out that the yellow on her stomach which I thought was yellow fungus was in fact stained shed from the bright yellow sand from the cage she was in. I didnt even notice the sand until I went in today..the lady soaked her and the yellow started coming off right away. Something I didnt want to mess with just in case it was in fact yellow fungus,I didnt want to irritate it anymore. But the spot on her leg/tail was actually a bite mark from the other males that used to be in the small cage, It turns out that she was actually a boy! So the other males were bigger than him so they bite him in dominance. So long story short is the owner felt more comfortable taking him to treat him for the bite and she gave me a new one... I am happy and they really are great breeders they just were not in town when I purchased the beardie so they couldnt examine him before selling him. But i appreciate all your input! :)

scubasteve25

Juvie Member
not to stir the pot, but the whole thing sounds suspect, that dragon looks in way worse shape than a simple "stained shed clutch mate injury" maybe the pictures make it look worse that it is but idk. the substrate advice was terrible. i think the breeder told you these things to save face. but that's just me. keep an eye on your new one, i hope hes in good health.

RoxysMoM

Original Poster
I know it sounds weird, The pics did in fact make it look worse than it was but I think it should be fine! But for my new one I examined her closely and so far so good! Heres her pic! it truely doesnt do her justice!
photo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom