Skeptical about using flax seeds for dig box

Status
Not open for further replies.
I been researching dig boxes and i think it would be cool to have one for Liz in her tank. It seems like everyone uses flax seeds for their dig boxes but i'm a little bit skeptical about the seeds. I've read that beardies stomachs are not built for digesting seeds and there are certain chemicals in the seeds that could harm them.

For anyone that uses flax seeds in their beardies dig box, how long has your beardie been using it and have you had any problems? Also should the dig box be on the hot side or the cold side?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I haven't really heard of flax seeds being used. I personally wouldnt go for them.

I've seen people use alfalfa pellets, and other materials, but honestly I'd probably just use playsand if I was going to use a dig box.

Is this dig box for a pregnant female? Or just for enrichment sake?

-Brandon

PogonaSlave

Original Poster
Well i wanted to put in a dig box because i read that bearded dragons like to dig. I figured if i put one in the tank then that could make Liz more active. Will they eat the alfalfa pellets? I've heard of people using sand but i'm afraid that might cause impaction.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
They generally (of course individuals may/will vary) dig for nesting/egg-laying and/or brumation.
They also like to climb (semi-arboreal) to get a better view of their territorial surroundings, look for potential mates, basking, etc.

As long as you don't feed them on the sand, and limit the sand to a dig box, impaction risk should be low. Eating alfalfa pellets shouldn't harm them.

Best to keep in mind that BDs (like puppies) may try to taste anything they encounter. Also (like many species of animals--including humans), adults tend to be less active than young growing dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom