size vs age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surgerising

Hatchling Member
I got Mushu from a pet store...I know not the best idea...anyway she was almost 5 inches when we got her end of june and is now 10 inches or a little over, we think maybe she is around 4 months old. Does this seem like a correct age for her or are we way off? I think we need to have an idea so we meet her baby needs long enough.

AMHaak

Juvie Member
I am not exactly for sure about the age vs. size thing, but I would say she maybe a little small if she is 4 months old. If she is about 10 inches long I would say she is maybe 2 months old. Like I said I am not for sure on this. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to help.

Sunshinessmile

Hatchling Member
Care is a VERY large factor...
My Killiean is a supposed 6 months and is MAYBE 9" long nose to tip of tail... and Keegan is 2yrs and is 15.5" they were both giving poor care, ending in poor growth... size and age are just to subjective...

surgerising

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got Mushu the day she came in to the pet store so she was not really under their care. They had her maybe 4 hours max before I saw her and fell in love. She was so small when I got her and since I have had her this is how we cared for her..mind you the first list is pre research on this and another BD site the latter is after I was well educated.

Pre education:2 weeks max
40 gallon breeder with calci sand
basking temp highest point 99 to 101 digital therm on spot
cool side 80 stick on therm
reptiglow 10.0 no closer than 12 inches
feed gut load crix once a day 20 to 25, repcal daily and herpavite weekly
greens available all day
light on 12 to 14 hours
no night light or heat source at night

Post education: then to now
40 gallon breeder with tile
basking temp 105 to 113 had to paly with bulbs and hight for a few days digital probe on spot
reptisun 10.0 6 to 8 inches depedning on spot
cool side 80
feed crix 2 times a day as many as she will eat in 15 minutes greens available all day
light on 14 hours on a timer
repcal daily and herpavite weekly
daily baths
no night heat or light source

milo033

Great that you did a lot of research. This will help make your BD happy and healthy.

But... You're saying that you did no research that told you there is not a way to tell a BD's age by it's size unless you can find the breader...?

surgerising

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
But... You're saying that you did no research that told you there is not a way to tell a BD's age by it's size unless you can find the breader...?
I am well aware from the hours of research that her definitive age cannot be determined, without finding her breeder and getting her hatch date. I was more looking for those here with more experience to see if they could come up with a best guess. I would rather guess her a little young than not young enouh and come up short on her juvvie care.

I think she was just wanting our best guess

For those who have actually tried to answer the impossible thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom