Size mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollyfm

Original Poster
Just decided to post here so you can refer back to my current tank size (40 gal) and what is in order. But, new question and worry...in Nebraska and other areas of the Midwest, we are going from 90-35 degrees in a day! In September! That’s very weird even for Nebraska. I knew I needed to look into a ceramic heat light for winter but I was not prepared for doing it now. My question is two part, what bulb and light fixture do I need now and will that be ok for a zen habitat 4’x2’x2’ when that comes? Hopefully that’s soon!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can start w/ a 100 watt- check your temps in morning and place the emitter in the center of the tank-- I use a 100 watt in my zen I live in MN keeps my tanks 70 in the winter but 40 gallon may or may not be to much watt
Karrie

Hollyfm

Original Poster
Got my zenhabitats enclosure today!!! So when you say the uvb should be 12-15 in away from the basking, is that horizontally or vertically? Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Distance ----doesnt matter which way its facing -- basking decor directly underneath
Karrie

Hollyfm

Original Poster
I’m using a basking light of 150 watt and ceramic if 100 watt and can’t get the new enclosure past 85 degrees. What should I do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How are you taking the temps? Can you post a pic of the tank and did you get the new tank ? Temps need to be taken w/a digital probe therm NO stick ons
Karrie

Hollyfm

Original Poster
I can’t seem to attach a pic but it’s a zen habitats 4’x2’x2’ one. I did get it!!! And I’m taking temps with an infrared digital scanner.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so I have the same tank -- Here is a pic of Blazes tank
97951-8462642594.jpg
this pic is an old one his UVB has since been dropped lower since I went to the T 5 bulb
What are you using for decor for basking sometimes that material will throw the IR gun off - do you have a digital probe? Are you using a hammock for basking ?
Try and post again click on XIMG at the top of the message box and see if they downloaded if the did click on the pic and it should post
Karrie

Hollyfm

Original Poster
108968-2297116067.jpg

Ok here I think I got it. Hopefully it'll come through. So this is all that was in his other tank...I plan to adjust since this is bigger plus take out the loose substrate once the mat I ordered from zen also comes in the mail. But anyway, I was hoping giving it about a day would raise the temps but no luck. Thoughts?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok if your taking the temp off that hammock I am gonna say its inaccurate - I would go get a probe thermometer and place it on the hammock leave for 10 minutes then get the temp- you can get the probes at Petco or Petsmart $7 -- the UVB needs to have a piece of decor directly under it w/ a distance of 12-15 inches -- No more - right now hes not getting any UVB w/ nothing under it / distance wise as well - if your using the T 5 --
Karrie

Hollyfm

Original Poster
Ok I'll get the probe...about the UVB...Should I just get a chain to lower it or is it that I need some decor to disperse the light?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
if its more than 15 inches you need to lower it like mine - that pic I posted is w/ a Arcadia 14 % bulb I have sinced changed it out to a 12% so I had to get it down to the 12-15 inches -- its still in the same spot just lowered - chain would be good I would have it in 1/3 rds on the UVB wrapped around it - I am using a thin stainless steel wire like welding wire my husband got from somewhere its bendable and works really good -- you may haft to move decor pieces around but you need to get a basking temp - I use the 150 watt bulbs in my tanks and they heat fine - I have had to go to 100 watt for the summer but the room I have the dragons in is warm - so that too also helps -
Karrie

Hollyfm

Original Poster
Ok that makes me feel better about the basking temps! And for the UVB I am using Sunblaster 904296 NanoTech T5 High Output Fixture Reflector Combo, 2-Feet with a Zoo Med 26061 Reptisun 10.0 T5-Ho Uvb 24W Fluorescent Lamp, 22" bulb. I'll just hit up a hardware store after PetCo to get this all taken care of! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom