Silkworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagillaGorilla

Hatchling Member
I've been using crickets for my beardie and since the rents will only let me store about 250 at a time, it gets rather expensive while he is still young, so i was wondering are silkworms a good option?, how many would i feed him per day, and where would i get them/what would i feed them?

Adam805

Hatchling Member
dont get me wrong but i heard those are only for treats. thats what it was for geckos but im not sure for bearded dragons

MagillaGorilla

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hm, you could be right, im not really sure myself, i thought the fatty worms like waxworms were the 'candy' and that silk worms were good, but idk ill wait to see for someone else to weigh in

neecie

Juvie Member
Silkworms are fantastic............see Beautiful Dragons website on nutrition. They grow pretty fast for a baby beardie. My 9 month old can eat 3-4 big ones per meal. I get all my worms at Mulberry Farms -- great supplier.

neecie

Juvie Member
My beardie gets the chopped veggies after the lights go on about 8am (but she doesn't go for them right away). I feed her around noon 3-4 silkworms and then about 5-6pm approx 3-4 silkys. I buy the pod w/food in it from Mulberry Farms which you keep upside down so the poop falls to the bottom (which is the lid) and little
climbing grids inside enable the worm to go up and get the food. That one pod lasts about 2 weeks but as they grow fat, they can also start to spin webs----------as they do I try to pull them off it. I always hold the worms one by one in a tiny plastic cup up near her face until she doesn't want any more. When the silkies are big, she may take less.
I have gotten phoenix & hornworms also from time to time. Horns grow too big - but are great when they are mid-size. All her food is ONLY nutrition............I've never gone for the other worms pet stores sell.

MagillaGorilla

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
cool, i was looking at there site and was kind of discouraged from buying from them because only the small ones are available, is that sufficient / will they grow large enough for him?

neecie

Juvie Member
Mulberry is great on the phone. Check that way and see if they can give you a selection of sizes in one pod.
That way you can use up the "chubbies" first, as the others grow. I forgot to mention in my last note, that when my 9mos old Sandy was younger she got 3 meals a day. I started with crickets, before I researched and found that worms are so nutritious and not such a pain to keep.

MagillaGorilla

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yea, agreed, id like to not have to deal with the moment of hoping crickets dont jump off the egg flats when i transfer it to his feeding tank lol. I'll definitely look into this supplier, thanks for your help =D

dawnki

Juvie Member
Silks are especially great if you live in an area that has mulberry trees growing----- i feed my beardie silks in the summer ---he LOVES them-----i collected mulberry leaves all summer to feed them-----way cheaper than chow. ;) They are an excellent feeder-----and if you have the patience, dedication and a serious interest in them they are awesome to raise.

I have bought eggs and worms from both Mulberry and Coastal Silkworms------both are great resources-----

good luck have fun etc etc~

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom