Silkworms vs others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking really hard about what food would be best for feeding my little guy and after hours of research I wanna know what you guys think. I know silkies can be expensive since no local pet stores sell them and they are a little hard to care for. I just feel like you will need less silk worms to fill a beardie than say Phoenix worms (since phoenix worms are TINY) , therefor maybe they aren't so bad.

jackiesmama

Juvie Member
i got a 1000 ct silkworms and 2 pounds of food plus shipping for 86 dollars and it is a good deal from the worn and it does last and it is better for the dragons. :blob5:

Jakeelias93

Original Poster
Wow a 1000 count lol. I was only thinking I would start with about 200 to start. I take it you buy them medium sized. How long does a 1000 last you?

charliebot03

jackiesmama":2rgdf29o said:
i got a 1000 ct silkworms and 2 pounds of food plus shipping for 86 dollars and it is a good deal from the worn and it does last and it is better for the dragons. :blob5:
Where do you get the silkworms?

BotanicalStig

Juvie Member
Start with like two habitat cups (around 50 silks). You need to make sure your beardie likes them. Moose wont willingly eat silk worms. I bred them for a short while. It's pretty simple to do and if you're using silkies as a staple you should consider it.

My favorite place to order them was coastalsilkworms.

Jakeelias93

Original Poster
I heard from another site that Phoenix worms and silk worms are bad staples, (good frequent feeders but bad staples) because they get addicted to worms due to higher fat and then they won't eat anything but worms. Is this true. I know it is for wax worms but not silks or Phoenix. Also they said you should still powder Phoenix worms with calcium

Lumpdog450

Hatchling Member
jackiesmama":3dnbctpy said:

where did you get them from? How did they come... in seperate deli cups? thanks

Mariah94

Juvie Member
I'm not sure who would say that silkworms aren't a good feeder. I personally think they are the best. Malachi eats silkworms (when I have them) and dubia. She has absolutely no problem going between the two. However she won't touch a cricket if her life depended on it.

jinzilla

Jakeelias93":3kupg6gg said:
I heard from another site that Phoenix worms and silk worms are bad staples, (good frequent feeders but bad staples) because they get addicted to worms due to higher fat and then they won't eat anything but worms. Is this true. I know it is for wax worms but not silks or Phoenix. Also they said you should still powder Phoenix worms with calcium

I feed my beardie phoenix worms and dubia as staples. I I don't dust the phoenix worms but do for the dubia. I'm currently feeding her hornworms that I'm growing from eggs in a habitat cup. I also got a 25 small count and they were monsters.! I My beardie can eat very large hormworms with no problems... I can't believe she's only 3 or 4 months old (Petsmart) but she's constantly shedding and 11+ inches and has recently started eating endive like crazy.

That being said, I she'll still go crazy over dubia... Variety is the spice of life.

I've been wanting to try silkworms because of the supposed health benefits and will likely try them as a treat after the hormworms.

I've never seen my beardie as active as when I have a horn worm on the tweezers... She will literally jump in the air to grab them and chase it around the outside of the terrarium with her tongue slobbering up the glass.

jinzilla

so our beardie just finished up with the silkworms and I'm really not that impressed with them. Compared to hornworms, silkworms are stinky and their poop get's all tangled up with the silk they produce (maybe I got a bad batch?). Oh well, one less feeder to scare the wife with... :shock:

Mariah94

Juvie Member
I think my horns are stinkier than my silks. The food gives off an odor but it's not exactly bad. And before I feed them I pull off the silk so Malachi isn't crunching. I hand feed her so it isn't an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudeGurl
Top Bottom