Silkworms ... High on the list

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
Why are silkworms not more popular? ... Next to Roaches they seem like the best feeder ...

Phonix worms --- To much money for what you get (small for the price ... BD has to eat like 100 to get full and they are $45 for 1000) ... Mealies --- no good, Supers --- Good but have to worry about impaction and can not even be used till BD is an adult ... Crix --- THEY JUST SUCK (what a mess)

So we come to Silikes ... about $40 for 1000 small that you can grow out in a few weeks to feed and BDs only eat like 2-4 (large grown out worms) at a time (instead of 100 PW) ... I know they are not that easy to breed ... But what am I missing? Seems like every one would love them bext ... Next to Roaches :)

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
i know that silkworms have a lot of some nutrient that you can overdo the supplementation that the silkies give your beardies and that's why most people use them as a "1/2 staple" and mix with another staple... also, as you said they are extremely difficult to breed being that they are sensitive to everything.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
nesta's mommy":828e7 said:
i know that silkworms have a lot of some nutrient that you can overdo the supplementation that the silkies give your beardies and that's why most people use them as a "1/2 staple" and mix with another staple... also, as you said they are extremely difficult to breed being that they are sensitive to everything.

Never heard that before ... Where have you read that?

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
jbodkin":6322f said:
nesta's mommy":6322f said:

Never heard that before ... Where have you read that?

i'm attempting to look for the source of the info right now. i could've sworn it was on a forum... like the fact that phoenix worms have a lot a lot of calcium so its good to mix it up. maybe the statement could've just been that variety is best. but i'm going to attempt to find it

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Variety is definitely best, but silkworms are a great feeder. They are especially good for a beardie that has inflammation or pain - they contain an enzyme called serrapeptase that acts as an anti-inflammatory and natural pain reliever. As Nesta's Mommy said, however, they can be quite difficult to keep. They are very sensitive and will die quite easily. I dropped one on the clean floor once and made the mistake of putting it back in with the others - the next day, they were all dead. :roll: That being said, many people keep and even breed them successfully, so it's not impossible. I didn't have good luck with them, but I had them at the time that the "grasserie" problem was going around. Maybe if I had tried them again I would have had more luck.

neecie

Juvie Member
I ordered silk and phoenix for the first time cuz fed up on crickets and agree the size of silk is better but I didn't know to order their "grub" too..........so tried to feed those first before they died. phoenix are easier, but small. My bd loves them both --- so I'll keep with the worms and get grub next time. On the chart, it looks like phoenix are higher in calcium. I'm not interested in any breeding. In the phoenix tub many were black and appeared dead -- the website customer service said to put them under a warm light and they would "wake up".... mine didn't. The whole thing is still better than crickets.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Right ... My whole thing with PWs is they are to small (takes way to many to feed a larger BD) ... And they turn black fast when you get the large ones (they are closer to morphing) ... Silkies take a little more care ... But are much more feeder for the money ... Still think Roaches are the best (Got my colony going). :)

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Mine likes PW... would barely eat butterworms and wouldn't touch the silkworms I put in his bowl today. I ordered alot and it's going to suck if I have to throw them away. Going to keep offering so we shall see what happens.

neecie":8c337 said:
I ordered silk and phoenix for the first time cuz fed up on crickets and agree the size of silk is better but I didn't know to order their "grub" too..........so tried to feed those first before they died. phoenix are easier, but small. My bd loves them both --- so I'll keep with the worms and get grub next time. On the chart, it looks like phoenix are higher in calcium. I'm not interested in any breeding. In the phoenix tub many were black and appeared dead -- the website customer service said to put them under a warm light and they would "wake up".... mine didn't. The whole thing is still better than crickets.

On the pamplet that I received with my PW's, they claim that the blackened worms has the highest count of calcium. I pick them out and and make sure my beardies get 'em! All the black ones I have come across, so far, are not dead, they are just not as active. But I would love to give my beardies silkies for a varied diet.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Right the black ones are not dead ... Jus close to pupating ... THey are higher in Cal at that point because they store it up to make their new armour when they morph to solider flys ... They are a good feeder ... Just to small for the money :(

Silkies and Roaches rule!!! You should get some :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom