Silkworms and hornworms..How to keep them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyryce

Hatchling Member
Hi,

I have put in an order for silkworms (med) and hornworms(med) and getting some cooked chow for each. How does one keep the silkworms and hornworms. How do you do the feeding with them and maintain them. I will only be ordering 25 of each. ANy info on keeping these worms will be of great help. I should be getting them early next week.

Thanks

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
tyryce":f1502 said:
Hi,

I have put in an order for silkworms (med) and hornworms(med) and getting some cooked chow for each. How does one keep the silkworms and hornworms. How do you do the feeding with them and maintain them. I will only be ordering 25 of each. ANy info on keeping these worms will be of great help. I should be getting them early next week.

Thanks

Hey, awesome, who did you get them from? , I believe the worms sold, also have chow for sale on the site you bought them from. Sometimes they even have care sheets available.

Silkworm Info
http://www.silkwormshop.com/faq.html

Hornworms
http://www.canadianfeeders.com/products/hornworms.html
http://www.exoticpetshop.ca/caresheets/hornworm_care_sheet.html

Good Luck

fonzie001

Not really sure on the keep sake for hornworms but I have kept my share of silkies. Since your only getting 25 all you really need is a small critter keeper (like those used for crickets) place the silkies in the keeper. Then you need to get a cheese grater (sp.) and grate a layer of food over the worms. Once that is done I get a sheet of wax paper and lay it directly over them to keep the food soft. If the food dries out to fast they will not be able to eat and they ted to die pretty fast, but thats as hard as it gets. Hope this helps.
Junior

tyryce

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

Thanks for all the replies. Yes I do have a cricket keeper. I will have to clean it out though...sort of done with crickets because I find they are to much to keep with the amount of feeders my beardie is eating so instead I am just going with higher quality ones and see how this goes. I ordered my silkworms and hornworms yesterday so I will be getting them next Friday. I have some butterworms right now that I am using for feeders. The guy from canadian feeders was telling me that hornworms grow super fast so to try and use them up first. If I don't use them up fast enough then I can feed them to my turtles. I guess the hornworms you really have to make sure that they always have enough food or else they will start eating each other...like he said to make sure they always have enough food in a day for them to eat. I have a critter keeper I can keep them in too. I can't wait to get them because I am hoping it will help get my beardie's appetite up...when I first introduced butterworms he got really excited about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom