Silkworm colony? Thinking of trying one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisei

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Whether or not the leaves could be frozen is something I pondered myself. You are probably right. Freezing would probably rupture cell membranes and break down the leaf matter. As for the rest of the "stuff" in chow; I have no idea what it is. I guess I just figured if they liked whole leaves with nothing else, they should like crushed leaves with nothing else. Oh well, I was really just trying to see how many leaves I would need to attempt to keep silkies all winter. That itself may be a limiting factor...

Please do let me know if you find a recipe!

Thanks again,

Aaron

hammerhead

Juvie Member
I just startes one with 500 eggs. They are now cocooning as we speak. Here is a good link I found http://www.wormspit.com/bombyxsilkworms.htm
Buying the powdered chow and cooking it is easy and alot cheaper. I finally found out what a mulberry tree looks like and happened to have one outside my door. They are pretty common.I also posted a request for branches on craigslist and to my surprise got replies and cut branches for peoples trees nearby. I must also add only a couple died and I didn't sterilize, use rubber gloves, alcohol. I just washed items in hot water and washed my hand well before handeling and feeding them. I have rubbermaid containers, made screen frames for the bottom so all the crap fall through, and saved lots of papertowel, tp rolls, glue gun them together and they are going nuts cocooning.

Heisei

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the link hammerhead! As I mentioned, I have access to many mulberry trees. I have become rather proficient at identifying trees since I started bonsai a year ago. Plus I was friends with many forestry majors in Penn State, who were never hesitant to pass on their knowledge, so I am confident in my ability to identify said trees. What I was thinking of with the chow is a way to preserve food for the winter after the trees have lost their leaves; allowing me to keep silkworms all year. I wonder if it really would be cheaper to buy the chow... Or maybe there is a way to preserve some leaves all winter. Vacuum packing maybe???

Aaron

hammerhead

Juvie Member
I'll look for some info too. From what I was told silkworm chow will last no more than 1-2 months in the fridge. Silkworm eggs can last 1 year in the fridge. I'm gonna e-mail where I buy my chow with a few questions, maybe they will give me some answers.

Heisei

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I like your setup. Basic, cheap, functional.

Quick question: Did you hatch the eggs in an incubator or just a separate container? Did it seem like most of the eggs hatched?

Aaron

hammerhead

Juvie Member
I got 500 eggs and a 4 inch petri dish. I put a paper towel over the top of the open dish, turned it upside down and put the paper towel in a small tupperware container. All the eggs hatched except a few. Through the whole process (they are all cocooning now) only abot 6 silkworms died. I put the eggs on top of my enclosure, 85 degrees worked fine.

hammerhead

Juvie Member
My silkworms are cocoons now. My question is after the eggs are laid, do they have to be refrigerated for awhile before hatched?

Heisei

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hammerhead":e6c86 said:
My silkworms are cocoons now. My question is after the eggs are laid, do they have to be refrigerated for awhile before hatched?

Sorry no reply for a while. I've been on vacation with no internet connection.

That's a good question. I don't think they would have to be refrigerated, but I'm not sure.

I have ordered 150 silkworms (small and medium) from Mulberry Farms which should arrive here by the end of the week. I'm still looking for a silkworm chow recipe. Anyone find anything? I have been playing around with a vacuum sealer and some mulberry leaves to see how long they will last when sealed. I'll have to wait for results on that. If it doesn't work I will either have to make chow or buy it in the winter. I would rather avoid the latter option if at all possible.

Many thanks!

Aaron

hammerhead

Juvie Member
Hey Aaron, hope you had a good vacation. I'll be off to Cape Cod in a couple weeks, looking forward to no internet or phone for a couple weeks. My silkworms 1st cocoons spun on July 1st. I just got my 1st babies yesterday. I would guess out off all the eggs so far more than half have turned grey, which means they are fertile. I'm going to refrigerate some to try it. They can be stored up to a year, at aroung 50 degrees, which is the door or veggie drawer in the refrige. I think many more will become fertile over the next couple days. I haven't made a count yet but A guess would be 5000 eggs now, and every time I look I have more hatching. I have again become a slave to my masters. I wasn't expecting this and don't know what I'm going to do when I go on vacation, because they are not coming with me! As far as making chow I found a website that said there are recipes out there, but I haven't found one. From what I read it's not worth it, you need sterile conditions and there are lots of ingredients. If I find that site again I'll send a link. Buying the chow in the powder in larger packs in alot cheaper, and easy to do on the stove or microwave.

Heisei

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Nice! It looks like the silkworm thing worked out pretty well for you. Lets hope it works as well for me.

Buying chow and having it shipped would cost less that making it?!? That's rather hard to believe considering the insane prices they charge for the stuff. Oh well, it would still beat buying crickets. Hopefully my vacuum sealing works for preserving the leaves. I can't say I have a lot of hope for it, though...

Enjoy your vacation (hopefully someone will take care of the silkies for ya)!

Aaron

hammerhead

Juvie Member
I made these screens from plastic canvas sheets, they were 1.50 each found at any craft store. They worked great, all the crap falls through to the bottom, then you just lift it out and dump the container. I just made a simple frame from scrap wood and used the hot glue gun. It made it alot easier. All these silkies do is eat and crap, a lot of crap.

harmongt

It seems like the mulberry tree is pretty common. Any tips on spotting one in my area? I'm in downtown Richmond Va. It is fairly urban but there are parks and such. Do I have a good chance of just finding some?

hammerhead

Juvie Member
http://oplin.lib.oh.us/tree/fact%20pages/mulberry_white/mulberry_white.html
Here is the white mulberry. Once you know what to look for you will find one. You may need to image search for better pics, but the leaves are unique. One leaf is a jagged spade shape while others are kinda oak leaf shaped. The tree bark is what gives it away too, a light brown or tan color. They are all around, the birds spread the seeds. There's also a red and black mulberry. After I started my silkworm colony I realized there was a small one right outside my front door. I also made a request on Craigslist a was surprised someone replied and I cut a bunch of branches off their tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom