Silkworm Colony? I tried it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisei

Hatchling Member
My other thread "Silkworm Colony? thinking of trying one" had changed course and didn't make sense anymore because I actually tried one. So here is the new thread.

I started with 150 silkies. Of these approx 30 made cocoons. About half have emerged, of which only 4 have been female. One female died (had trouble getting out of her cocoon), but the others have mated and laid eggs. It looks like I have about 100 or so eggs from these three females. Hopefully I get some more females from the remaining cocoons. My goal would be to at least have more eggs than worms I started with. The eggs are currently in an incubator and should hatch in the coming weeks.

As for the mulberry leaf experiment, it seems one month is about the max vacuum packed leaves will last in the fridge. In the end it seems buying chow is the best option for food over the winter. I'll let you guys know if I find a chow recipe, but so far information on that subject has been VERY hard to come by.

I will add to this thread as the eggs hatch and the worms grow. Also I'll try to give an overall synopsis of how I went about keeping them, I.E. what worked and what didn't, how to identify mulberry trees, how to keep the enclosure clean, ect. in the hopes that it will help others who plan to do the same.

Aaron

Heisei

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I plan on it. It's just a matter of making time to take them and post them. I've been working soooo much lately I've had little if any free time (in fact, I'm typing this from work at the moment). Rest assured, though; Pics will be posted!

Aaron

beardieaddict

Sub-Adult Member
i tried a silkworm colony too and same thing happend i started with 30 silks and i got about 15 cocoons and only 4 emerged and only breeded 1 time and only got maybe 30 eggs i dont get it maybe the dont like summer idk i will try again though some day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom