Sick looking dragon

Jjv0477

Hi so I got my new dragon about a week ago from petco and he seems like he might have something wrong but not sure. I will post pictures but mouth looks like it’s glued shut and he barely opens his eyes. He has plenty of food and water and has a nice tank with a good heat lamp. I didn’t have this problem with my other dragon so I thought I would ask.

Jjv0477

Original Poster
Hi so I got my new dragon about a week ago from petco and he seems like he might have something wrong but not sure. I will post pictures but mouth looks like it’s glued shut and he barely opens his eyes. He has plenty of food and water and has a nice tank with a good heat lamp. I didn’t have this problem with my other dragon so I thought I would ask.
Not sure how to upload picture but mouth looks like it’s barely opened

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the surface basking temps and how you are getting them-- no stick ons please-- uvb coil or long tube fixture-- post pic of the dragon please

Jjv0477

Original Poster

Attachments

• IMG_9790.jpg
    IMG_9790.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 32

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
It is hard to see in the photo. Could you upload the photo in a higher resolution (this here looks like a screenshot from your phone)?

When and were in the tank have you measured those 80 F? (This is too low for surface basking temperature.)

Could you also post a photo of the entire setup (tank)?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I agree a better pic would be nicer but it looks like it could be shed but I am not for certain - we can better help w/ a clearer pic-- the eyes look like shed as well -- please get some saline solution NO contact lens stuff and wash the dragons eyes w/ that --- make sure your using a solid clear bright white basking bulb - please get 2 digital probe thermometers place one on the basking decor where he sits to bask leave there for 10 min or so and get temp - it should be 105-110 cool side of the tank 80ish during the day place the other probe on the side of the tank there that side you want ambient temps -- NO coils for UVB -- we can help w/ 3 good fixtures that are recommended on this forum --

Jjv0477

Original Poster
Ok so cage is a little bit of a mess but I will work on getting better thermometer but here is picture of sent up and better picture of the little guy. Also I put some tiny crickets for it to change around but it’s not eating them and I’m not sure if he’s getting any water

Attachments

• IMG_9800.jpeg
    IMG_9800.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9799.jpeg
    IMG_9799.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 23

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As Karrie has suggested, the temperatures are very important for overall health. If he isn't opening his
eyes much you will need to try & get some food into him another way. Use a plastic dropper or syringe
to get some chicken or turkey babyfood into him so he gets some nutrition.
We need to know which UVB light you are using & what type/brand it is? Is it a long fluorescent type of
bulb or a short compact type of coil light?

Tracie

Jjv0477

Original Poster
Hello,

As Karrie has suggested, the temperatures are very important for overall health. If he isn't opening his
eyes much you will need to try & get some food into him another way. Use a plastic dropper or syringe
to get some chicken or turkey babyfood into him so he gets some nutrition.
We need to know which UVB light you are using & what type/brand it is? Is it a long fluorescent type of
bulb or a short compact type of coil light?

Tracie
Ok new post to all the questions I have a uvb bulb I can see if I can find the brand not sure where box is. Updated/clearer photo of little guy. Would really like updates I wanna be able to make sure he lives a long healthy life. Eyes seem to stay shut and looks like something on his nose.

Attachments

• IMG_9801.jpeg
    IMG_9801.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9802.jpeg
    IMG_9802.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 18

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok new post to all the questions I have a uvb bulb I can see if I can find the brand not sure where box is. Updated/clearer photo of little guy. Would really like updates I wanna be able to make sure he lives a long healthy life. Eyes seem to stay shut and looks like something on his nose.
It looks like he might have something going on w/ some mouth rot possibly --- please get the crickets out of the tank and get some raw unpasteurized honey on his mouth -- it is effecting his eating and hes not going to last long since hes so young- please get some baby food chicken and baby food squash you can mix them make it a little watery so hes getting hydration and syringe feed him very slow-- you dont want him to aspirate - along w/ the eye sight that too would be effecting his eating-- is both eyes closed or one ? Please get your tank up to par w/ surface basking temps and your UVB -- please look on the bulb or please post pics of the lighting ---- NO colored bulbs NO off white bulbs-- NO daytime bulbs-- NO yellowish bulbs-- and please NO coils for UVB-- I want 2 other people to take a look
@AHBD
@CooperDragon

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry to hear about your new little dragon, he does look unwell. Some pet stores don't take good care of them so this is likely something that's been oncoming due to his previous care. Getting a bit of raw honey is a good idea, mix it with a bit of lukewarm water and he might even drink some and get some nutrients. His brad looks slightly puffed out, does he exhale and puff it out or exhibit any trouble breathing ?

Jjv0477

Original Poster
I'm sorry to hear about your new little dragon, he does look unwell. Some pet stores don't take good care of them so this is likely something that's been oncoming due to his previous care. Getting a bit of raw honey is a good idea, mix it with a bit of lukewarm water and he might even drink some and get some nutrients. His brad looks slightly puffed out, does he exhale and puff it out or exhibit any trouble breathing ?
How long should I put the honey on for. And should I take it off with water

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just for a few days to see if it gets any reaction from him and at the same time to see if he will lick it, then you could put a tiny bit in a syringe and drip it on his nose for him to get some hydration. How is his breathing ?

Jjv0477

Original Poster
Ok so I bought the stuff people recommended his breathing his good no problems with that he started getting a little more active and better with his eyes. I put the honey on his mouth and I tried to see if I can get him to eat the baby food but no luck. I’m not sure on how to get him to eat it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom