Sick dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura9081

Hello, I'm a fairly new owner and my guy is that acting right. Started last week just not moving around a lot and his body seems flat. We got him a bigger cage and better lights, a retisun 10.0, new basking light 50 watts, heat emitter 75 watts and a red heat light for night. The guy at the store who owns one said to give him a bath which we did and that's when things went downhill. He seemed to like the water but when we took him out he started gagging, choking. It looked like maybe he swallowed water the way he was acting. He went limp and I thought for sure I killed him! My husband rubbed his belly and actual blow in his mouth and he started breathing again. We put him on his log under the lights in his cage and he seemed okay. He was good until today. We put him in his water dish to drink and he started the whole thing again. We did the same things and he started breathing again. He has been eating crickets all along and pooping but I have no idea what's happening. We hope someone can help!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Try using a spray bottle to gently spray water on his mouth, or use an eyedropper/ needless syringe to drip on his snout. Maybe after a while you can try the baths again. Right now he may be frightened and hyper ventilating in the water since his first bad experience.

shadi11

BD.org Addict
Do you have a digital thermostat for temp readings for basking spot and cool side? I was wondering what those may be since the wattages seem to be double what I have in my 4x2 enclosures. Also as far as night heat unless your house goes below 65 at night you dont need to worry about that heat.
My main question about your issue is does the dragon do this after drinking? it could be he is drinking too much. I have had dragons do this then act like they are choking and sometimes even spits some water back out..

Laura9081

Original Poster
The temp is only reading 85, it's been cool where we are. I just don't understand it because he never had a problem with drinking water before.

shadi11

BD.org Addict
What are you measuring temps with?? I know in mine and Michigan isnt necessarily warm I have a 40 watt, and two sixty watts thats in three different tanks by the way. and thats all I need to heat to the dragons preferred temps of 101-105

Laura9081

Original Poster
I use a temperature gauge that sticks to the back of the tank and I have it about middle of the cage. It sounds like my cage should be alot warmer but it's not.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Those thermometers are poor for checking temps, they can be up to 20*F off. You will want one with a probe that can be laid directly on the basking spot because that temperature is essential to your Beardie. They need the proper heat to digest their food and to keep their immune system boosted. :) Walmart has a probe thermometer for around $12.
Amanda

pyffersnpaws

Juvie Member
you also don't need the night light, the beardies need complete darkness in order to sleep, so take it out.. use the che if the temps drop below 65 at night. (btw.. I have a 60watt in my 4x2, and use a temp gun, so just get an accurite temp and adjust your bulb to make sure your getting the right baskin temp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom