Sick Dragon, diarrhea, vomit, not eating HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDizzle

HELP! I have no idea what is going on. My 3-year-old female bearded dragon lost her appetite and hasn’t eaten this week, and didn’t eat much the previous week. I offered her everything daily and she just closed her eyes and ignored it. Collared greens, kale, mustard greens, butternut squash, and the dragon pellets. On Wednesday I gently slid a couple small pieces of cut up butternut squash in the side of her mouth and she did eat those.

Her bowel movements have been orange looking the past 2 weeks. I just thought that was from the squash I was feeding her. I couldn’t really distinguish the urate from the other part. My other dragon has normal looking urate with green poop behind it. They only go bathroom when I give them warm baths, usually 2-3 BMs per week. Yesterday she went bathroom in her cage what looks to be 3 times. It was very runny, white and watery. Today I gave her a warm bath and she was chugging water like I have never seen. I usually drip a few drops on her head and she licks it up, but today she dipped her head in the water and was going to town. I thought this was a good thing and that she was very dehydrated. She has a bowl movement after her drink in the bath. Once again it was orange looking, not her usual healthy looking green poo.

I cleaned her cage today underneath her carpet I have a linoleum tiles that I disinfect with a chlorohexidine/water solution. I also cleaned the carpet with the same solution. I was letting it dry, along with her other furnishings when I noticed a puddle on the tiles. I didn’t see what happened I’m not sure if it was vomit or a BM. I’m guessing it was from all the water she had chugged an hour earlier in her bath. It was clear. So I cleaned that up and offered her a salad and dubia, which she refused. I even offered her a blueberry (she loves them I only give them once a month if that). But she didn’t eat anything :(

So I took her just outside her tank and I have a squirt bottle of filtered water that I will sometime give them a little drop on the nose to drink. She drank it up for a few squirts then I put her back on her basking rock. About an hour later she gets off her rock with her mouth gaping and walks to the front of the tank. It looked like she was stretching her beard with her mouth wide open. There were several body contractions before I saw her puke up some liquid. It was whitish and cloudy like. At this point I’m incredibly worried I have never seen this before. I called the vet and he hasn’t returned my call yet so I might just show up tomorrow morning.

She looks to be noticeably thinner, and wrinkly. She is usually very bright but she has some stress marks and a dark beard. I got some butternut squash baby food and put a little on her nose and she licked it up. She had maybe .5ML. I’m keeping an eye on her to see if she can keep it down. I fed her about 40 minutes ago. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any advise would be appreciated. I’m freaking out a lil bit. I copied the usual questionnaire below so you can see her husbandry.

How old is your dragon? 3 years
How long have you had your dragon? 3 years
How long is your dragon? 19”
What is the sex of your dragon? Female
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 4x2x2 custom build
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Outdoor carpet from home depot
Do you use UVB lights? 36” reptisun 10.0
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb? 6 months, just ordered a new one
How close can your dragon get to the UVB, and where is the UVB bulb located? 6 inches, mounted in the middle of the tank
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? Halogen 60w
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)? no
How long are lights on each day? 12 on 12 off
What are the basking temps? 100-105 degrees
What is the cool side temp? 75-80 degrees
What is the night time temp? Never below 69 degrees, usually 70-75
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Accurite probe that measures humidity also, currently around 30%
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? Probe is on basking rock directly under spotlight, other end measures cold side
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? No
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. I offer collared greens, kale, mustard greens, butternut squash 3-5 times a week. She usually has a few pieces, sometimes she ignores it. I also offer dubia almost every day. Sometimes she eats 2-4, sometimes she ignores them. She likes the rep-cal adult dragon pellets so I also offer those every day she usually eats around 4 or so. She wont touch these now
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? Afternoon/Evening 3-5 days a week
How many live feeders do you offer at time? One dubia at a time, as many as she wants. She usually eats 2-3 large ones
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Don’t feed crickets anymore, I think they gave her pinworms in the past. Dubia eats leftover greens and butternut squash. Occasional orange
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? Not often. Vet said she should be fine with the nutrients with what I feed her. I used to dust greens once a week with reptical and herpivite.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? She usually goes 2-3 times a week in the bath. She has had diarrhea the past 2 days she has gone 2-3 times each day. They are very orange looking urates, not sure if that is from the squash I feed her.
Do you bathe your dragon? How often? 2-4 times per week
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? No
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? Yes in the summer I had both my dragons tested and they had pinworms. They were treated with Panacur. The follow up fecal test was clear
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No, they are housed separately.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, I'm sorry your girl isn't doing well, Usually runny poo's are a sign of parasites,,,but not so much the throwing up. You should send Drache613 a pm and ask her to have a look at your post. Hope this helps.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which dragon pellets are you feeding? How long have you been feeding the pellets & did the stools turn orange before or after feeding them?
If she drank too much water she may have thrown up due to drinking too much water.
I would get a fecal done on her though, since the stools are so off, just to be sure.
The dubias eat oranges, how often? How much butternut squash do they consume? If she is eating a good amount of the dubias & they are loaded on a lot of squash that will turn the stool that color, too.
The orange can cause diarrhea & upset GI issues in them as the citrus is hard on the tummy.

Do you have any probiotics to use to help with her tummy?
Your tank set up is fine, no problem at all with that, great job!

Tracie

EDizzle

Original Poster
Thank you for the responses. Since I got her almost 3 years ago she has been eating the rep-cal adult bearded dragon pellets, when she was younger it was the smaller juvenile size pellets. Her stool is usually greenish, as is her brothers. It turned orange about 2 weeks ago, but she wasn't eating the pellets at that time. I do think she drank too much water and vomited. I'm waiting on a BM to get a stool sample to bring in. Hopefully I can get it to the vet by monday, how long do I have to get the sample done after the BM? 2 days?

The dubia eat oranges maybe once a week I will throw a couple in. Butternut squash I put in 1-2 times per week. They also get a powder protein mix I make sure is topped off every day and water crystals.

I don't have any probiotics in the house. But I can make a run to the store. What is the best brand to use on dragons?

UPDATE: Last night I gave her some squash baby food 2 hours before her lights went out. She ate about .5 mL and before lights out she did have a more normal looking green BM with a white/orange urate. I should have saved it for the vet but I threw it away. Last night she fell asleep on the cool side of the tank on her blanket and after lights went on at 8AM she walked over to the other side of the tank to her basking rock. She wasn't interested in food today, I offered pellets and collared greens. I'm going to try and give her a little more baby food just to get something in her stomach. She is still showing stress marks and a dark beard. Would it be a good idea to give her another bath? Even though I gave her one yesterday.

EDizzle

Original Poster
Also the roaches that I feed them are separated for about a week and they eat the leftover pellets that the dragons don't eat.

EDizzle

Original Poster
She is not doing good I feel so bad for her. I have an appointment at the vet in an hour, bringing stool sample with me. I hope they can help.

hiya, how is your beardie doing? what did the vet say? i have posted a link on as my beardie is doing similar to yours and she is about 3.5yrs old :(. i hope she is ok

EDizzle

Original Poster
Sorry to hear that your beardie is having similar issues. Hopefully you can get her back on track, I would get her to the vet ASAP.

Just got back from the vet, fecal results should be in tomorrow. Blood work later in the week. She has lost a lot of weight since her last visit, around 90 grams. She is extremely dehydrated and had bloody stool this morning. The vet injected her in the abdominal fat sack with some fluids (sub Q or intramuscular...not sure what that means). Vet said nothing is wrong with the husbandry and it may be parasites. Worst case scenario there is something wrong with the liver or kidneys. I feel so bad right now, she is so weak and miserable looking. I really hope these meds work.

The vet gave 3 medications. Albon suspension .35 ml per day, panacur .2ml once a week, and baytril oral .15 ml per week. I just dosed her with albon and baytril, along with some baby food squash. I'm not sure if I should give her the panacur now or tomorrow. I dont want to overload her with medicine. Would that be a problem if I gave her all 3 meds today? The panacur is a once a week dose. Any one out there with any expertise? Thanks

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
I am so sorry about your girl... :( That was alot of meds to put in her all at once. I wonder if you could have a nercropsy done on her to find out what was the true cause of her passing. You did everything you could for her,,she was lucky to have you for a mom!!
Hugs,
Kelly

EDizzle

Original Poster
The two doses I put in her were staggered about 2.5-3 hours. Both with a few drops baby food squash fed in a different syringe. It was all I could get her to eat. She was very weak I was worried before I dosed her, I hope I didn't rush it. I feel like crap. This came out of nowhere. I did already pay for a blood test but I cant really afford a necropsy right now. How much do they usually run? I appreciate all the kind words. All I can do is focus on her brother right now, I'm glad I have him to help me get through this. He is still his normal goofy self, headbanging all over the place.

P.S. I'm a daddy :mrgreen:

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
OOps...sorry,,,she was very lucky to have you as her daddy!!! I'm not sure how much one cost...perhaps the bloodwork will give you some answers. When you get them back you should pm Drache613...she is so very knowledgeable about dragons and can catch things that the vets sometimes miss. Again, I am so sorry about your girl.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am so sorry to hear you lost your girl. :cry:
It is so hard to know what it could have been, but, the blood test should give some clues as to what could have been the cause of her death.
I would be happy to look over the results when you get them back, if you would like me to.
I think though it would have been better if they would have waited to medicate her until viewing the blood test results. The meds are so harsh on the system.

You have one more at home?
My sincere condolences,
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom