Sick beardie

Oniwa

So just a quick runthrough of the setup :

Zoo med Reptisun 10.0 UBV T5 HO (long tube).
Tile floor
110 degrees fahrenheit basking spot with 25-35% humidity. 79 degress fahrenheit on the cool side with 30-40% humidity.
at the top of her basking spot she is about 6 inches away from the light.

My bearded dragon is a female named Onyx and I've had her for about 6 years now and her set up has been pretty much the same for at least 5 years.

So a little backstory, I've owned Onyx for about 4 out of those 6 years, and she was a chunky girl because i'd give her superworms and collard greens as her main diet. I would have to force feed her the collards because she wouldnt really touch them because she knew i'd just give her superworms anyways. The most recent weight i had recorded of her was 688.8 grams in 2019.

My fiance and I were in a long distance relationship so during one of our visits she wanted to take onyx with her so I let her since I'd be moving to where she lived soon anyways. So my fiance got her to start eating a lot more greens independently. Around feb/march of 2023 bugs were stopped being given to her because she was pooping for 2-3 weeks at a time. Bugs were reintroduced into her diet in May 2023 because the urate looked better and she was pooping normally again. Then stopped again around August/September because of urate issues and reintroduced around November. All of this was done with the consultation of a vet. The vet and my fiance thought it was a good idea to stop the bugs to regulate her bowl movements/get her urate to look better.

Her weight has been constantly dropping, and she is extremely thin now. She has no fat pads on the top of her head anymore, they're sunken in. The bones in her hips are visable. The base of her tail has lost its thickness, and you can see her tail bone if you were to lift up her tail. Her weight as of today is 415 grams. We noticed her getting very skinny so bugs were reintroduced into her diet about 2-3 months ago. Her appetite was still strong, she'd gobble up every piece of collard or every bug we gave her. She would be fed once a day or once every other day. She was eating collards and dubia roaches. As of last month superworms were reintroduced into her diet as an attempt to fatten her up.

My fiance took onyx to the vet on 1/30/2024 and she was given a critical care supplement to increase her weight. She has been giving 2cc's of it every day or every other day. She was acting normal and eating normally.

As of last week saturday (march 2nd 2024) she has nosedived in terms of her health. Her appetite has completely declined. She wont even eat superworms which she would usually go absolutely crazy for. She is extremely lethargic. She has no energy. Typically she'd come out of her bed to poop or would come down off of her basking spot to poop but she won't do that now either, she'll just poop where she is. Her beard is always black now, which it rarely ever is throughout the 6 years we have had her. Her left eye is kept shut 90% of the time now.

We took her to the vet (march 4th 2024) where a checkup was done and blood was taken. We have yet to get the blood results and the vet is waiting on a pathologist to reply to our case. We dont have any answers as to why this is happening because the blood results done match any of her symptoms. I asked the vet about the eye being closed issue and he told us that it could be possible its closed because since theres no fat on her head anymore the eye bone is just protruding so much more now, making it difficult to open that eye.

Has anybody experienced this or have any thoughts on the matter? i'd love to hear some opinions on what this could be.

I'm going to include her bloodwork from last month along with a list of different times her weight was taken.

Attachments

• IMG_8654.jpg
    IMG_8654.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20240207_131614_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240207_131614_OneDrive.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 24

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So just a quick runthrough of the setup :

Zoo med Reptisun 10.0 UBV T5 HO (long tube).
Tile floor
110 degrees fahrenheit basking spot with 25-35% humidity. 79 degress fahrenheit on the cool side with 30-40% humidity.
at the top of her basking spot she is about 6 inches away from the light.

My bearded dragon is a female named Onyx and I've had her for about 6 years now and her set up has been pretty much the same for at least 5 years.

So a little backstory, I've owned Onyx for about 4 out of those 6 years, and she was a chunky girl because i'd give her superworms and collard greens as her main diet. I would have to force feed her the collards because she wouldnt really touch them because she knew i'd just give her superworms anyways. The most recent weight i had recorded of her was 688.8 grams in 2019.

My fiance and I were in a long distance relationship so during one of our visits she wanted to take onyx with her so I let her since I'd be moving to where she lived soon anyways. So my fiance got her to start eating a lot more greens independently. Around feb/march of 2023 bugs were stopped being given to her because she was pooping for 2-3 weeks at a time. Bugs were reintroduced into her diet in May 2023 because the urate looked better and she was pooping normally again. Then stopped again around August/September because of urate issues and reintroduced around November. All of this was done with the consultation of a vet. The vet and my fiance thought it was a good idea to stop the bugs to regulate her bowl movements/get her urate to look better.

Her weight has been constantly dropping, and she is extremely thin now. She has no fat pads on the top of her head anymore, they're sunken in. The bones in her hips are visable. The base of her tail has lost its thickness, and you can see her tail bone if you were to lift up her tail. Her weight as of today is 415 grams. We noticed her getting very skinny so bugs were reintroduced into her diet about 2-3 months ago. Her appetite was still strong, she'd gobble up every piece of collard or every bug we gave her. She would be fed once a day or once every other day. She was eating collards and dubia roaches. As of last month superworms were reintroduced into her diet as an attempt to fatten her up.

My fiance took onyx to the vet on 1/30/2024 and she was given a critical care supplement to increase her weight. She has been giving 2cc's of it every day or every other day. She was acting normal and eating normally.

As of last week saturday (march 2nd 2024) she has nosedived in terms of her health. Her appetite has completely declined. She wont even eat superworms which she would usually go absolutely crazy for. She is extremely lethargic. She has no energy. Typically she'd come out of her bed to poop or would come down off of her basking spot to poop but she won't do that now either, she'll just poop where she is. Her beard is always black now, which it rarely ever is throughout the 6 years we have had her. Her left eye is kept shut 90% of the time now.

We took her to the vet (march 4th 2024) where a checkup was done and blood was taken. We have yet to get the blood results and the vet is waiting on a pathologist to reply to our case. We dont have any answers as to why this is happening because the blood results done match any of her symptoms. I asked the vet about the eye being closed issue and he told us that it could be possible its closed because since theres no fat on her head anymore the eye bone is just protruding so much more now, making it difficult to open that eye.

Has anybody experienced this or have any thoughts on the matter? i'd love to hear some opinions on what this could be.

I'm going to include her bloodwork from last month along with a list of different times her weight was taken.
How old is the UVB and where is it placed? top of screen or inside the tank? Please post a pic of the dragon--the constant black beard is either distress or in pain

Oniwa

Original Poster
How old is the UVB and where is it placed? top of screen or inside the tank? Please post a pic of the dragon--the constant black beard is either distress or in pain
The UVB was replaced last week. The fixture is too large to go inside the tank so we put it on top of the tank. It hasn't been an issue and has been like this since we've got her and vets said its not an issue either.

Attachments

• IMG_1479.jpg
    IMG_1479.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1480.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1481.jpg
    IMG_1481.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 40

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB was replaced last week. The fixture is too large to go inside the tank so we put it on top of the tank. It hasn't been an issue and has been like this since we've got her and vets said its not an issue either.
Is it unobstructed? It looks like it is- please get a piece of decor directly under it 8-10 inches - if she's not getting any uvb or not enough this would cause the not eating

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
She definitely looks sick. Try goving her hornworms (helps hydration) and silkworms (fantastic staple)
110 is hot for an adult 95-100 is the norm. Also try mustard green, turnip greens, and dandelion greens. Some none citrus fruit could be offered in small quantities as well.
Keep her a but warmer at night also.

Oniwa

Original Poster
She definitely looks sick. Try goving her hornworms (helps hydration) and silkworms (fantastic staple)
110 is hot for an adult 95-100 is the norm. Also try mustard green, turnip greens, and dandelion greens. Some none citrus fruit could be offered in small quantities as well.
Keep her a but warmer at night also.
She's not eating any bugs at the moment. She's on a critical care supplement that im syringe feeding her. I've also been giving her sweet potato baby food which was recommended to me by my old vet when she wasnt eating for a month like 4ish years ago so I thought i'd reintroduce that. I've also been syringe feeding her water.

Ill try and keep the temps down to 95-100.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
She's not eating any bugs at the moment. She's on a critical care supplement that im syringe feeding her. I've also been giving her sweet potato baby food which was recommended to me by my old vet when she wasnt eating for a month like 4ish years ago so I thought i'd reintroduce that. I've also been syringe feeding her water.

Ill try and keep the temps down to 95-100.
It's kindda gross, but if you have an old blender you can make a slurry out of the bugs and syringe feed those also.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I definitely would recommend trying to keep her Reptisun 10 T5 tube around 10 inches, unobstructed to be sure she is getting adequate UVB exposure.
Have you been giving calcium regularly?
The blood tests look pretty good. The Globulin is a little high which could indicate a low grade infection. The Uric acid is very low. That is normally due to a vitamin or mineral deficiency. That is the kidney values. The AST or liver enzyme is in normal range.
I wonder if taking her off of the bugs for so long may have done something to her metabolism or system. They do need even minimal protein as adults.
Does she like the sweet potato baby food?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Oniwa

Original Poster
Hello,

I definitely would recommend trying to keep her Reptisun 10 T5 tube around 10 inches, unobstructed to be sure she is getting adequate UVB exposure.
Have you been giving calcium regularly?
The blood tests look pretty good. The Globulin is a little high which could indicate a low grade infection. The Uric acid is very low. That is normally due to a vitamin or mineral deficiency. That is the kidney values. The AST or liver enzyme is in normal range.
I wonder if taking her off of the bugs for so long may have done something to her metabolism or system. They do need even minimal protein as adults.
Does she like the sweet potato baby food?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Shes been getting calcium regularly. The vet said there is definite signs of inflammation but no signs of infection but they dont know where the inflammation is coming from. He gave her one shot of Doxycycline. I attached another blood test they did a few days ago. At the moment we're still waiting on the pathologist to get back with a reply. The vet told us to get PetTinic (1 oz) by Pfizer : Pfizer : Pet Multivitamins : Pet Supplies and give her soaks in a reptile electrolyte. She's still on the critical care and the baby food, which she seems to like both. The vet has also recommended us to use saline and apply it to the eye that has been closed. Yesterday she was opening the closed eye a lot more and she had more energy that the last 7 days but today so far she's back to how she was behaving the last several days.

Attachments

• LabReport_NYPS05690774_2024-03-05_05-58-37.pdf
    48.5 KB · Views: 28

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The lab report looks pretty good overall. The counts are low to moderate but not real high. Maybe the
doxycycline will help out. I would imagine that she doesn't really need much of the medication if there
really isn't much inflammation.
I'm glad to hear she seems to be more energetic & has been opening her eye more. She may have up
& downs though but hopefully she will have more positive days from now on.
At least she is eating some even if it's the critical care & baby food.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today, is she gaining weight slowly?
I hope she is improving, but it will definitely be slow.
Please keep us updated on her progress.

Tracie

Morri

Beardie name(s)
Zoom
The UV is not sitting on top of glass. Its open space there, no screen or anything
Thanks for the reply! Sometimes you can’t really tell from the pics, especially on the phone screen and I thought I’d ask as glass blocks out almost all UVB.

How is the kiddo feeling?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom