SICK BEARDIE HELP!

Tifflock88

Beardie name(s)
Eliza Thornberry
Hello, I took my almost 6 month old beardie to the ER vet last week. They said she had a respiratory infection an put her on antibiotics 1x day for 7 days. We have finished the meds (I got as much in her as possible but it was a struggle) but she is not doing much better. Her breathing is back to normal but she still keeps getting dried blood around her mouth and doesn't want to eat at all. I've gotten her to eat a few tiny pieces of her greens in this whole past week. She is getting so skinny and it's breaking my heart. We have a vet appointment but the earliest they could get us in is the 6th. I'm scared she won't make it that long if she isn't eating. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions! This is my first beardie so I'm new to all this!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, I took my almost 6 month old beardie to the ER vet last week. They said she had a respiratory infection an put her on antibiotics 1x day for 7 days. We have finished the meds (I got as much in her as possible but it was a struggle) but she is not doing much better. Her breathing is back to normal but she still keeps getting dried blood around her mouth and doesn't want to eat at all. I've gotten her to eat a few tiny pieces of her greens in this whole past week. She is getting so skinny and it's breaking my heart. We have a vet appointment but the earliest they could get us in is the 6th. I'm scared she won't make it that long if she isn't eating. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions! This is my first beardie so I'm new to all this!
Please go over the surface basking temps how your taking them-- uvb coil or long tube fixture-- please post a pic of the inside of the mouth- please get some oxbow critical care- herbivore and omnivore - please keep her hydrated by dropping water on her nose- see if she will lick or use a eye dropper - you can get the critical care from your vet or on Amazon - how long has it been since she ate something of substance?

Tifflock88

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Eliza Thornberry
Please go over the surface basking temps how your taking them-- uvb coil or long tube fixture-- please post a pic of the inside of the mouth- please get some oxbow critical care- herbivore and omnivore - please keep her hydrated by dropping water on her nose- see if she will lick or use a eye dropper - you can get the critical care from your vet or on Amazon - how long has it been since she ate something of substance?

Attachments

• 20230828_180226.jpg
    20230828_180226.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 52

Tifflock88

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Eliza Thornberry
Basking temp 100*, other end around 80*. I have digital thermometers. Her UV light is a reptisun T8. She will drink water off her snout, but I haven't seen her eat, or been able to tell she's touched any of her salad the past 3 days. And she hasn't eaten live bugs in a full week.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking temp 100*, other end around 80*. I have digital thermometers. Her UV light is a reptisun T8. She will drink water off her snout, but I haven't seen her eat, or been able to tell she's touched any of her salad the past 3 days. And she hasn't eaten live bugs in a full week.
Ok for the size of the tank and T 8 on the screen your dragon is barely getting any UVB -- this will cause all kinds of health problems and they will not eat w/ out proper UVB --- the digital thermometers are giving ambient temps only-- please get two digital probe thermometers place on the spot where the dragon basks - temps 95-100--- the UVB please upgrade or get the T 8 in the tank directly about the basking decor 6-8 inches --- how old is the UVB bulb?

Tifflock88

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Eliza Thornberry
Ok for the size of the tank and T 8 on the screen your dragon is barely getting any UVB -- this will cause all kinds of health problems and they will not eat w/ out proper UVB --- the digital thermometers are giving ambient temps only-- please get two digital probe thermometers place on the spot where the dragon basks - temps 95-100--- the UVB please upgrade or get the T 8 in the tank directly about the basking decor 6-8 inches --- how old is the UVB bulb?
Okay I will get better thermometers! The bulb is 2 months old. She was eating, going to the bathroom regularly and growing great prior to this illness. It started when she ate a cricket that I think was a little big. I gave her a little water and then she vomited up the cricket. I think when she threw-up she my have inhaled some of the water. I tried keeping her warmer the following days but she still ended up sick.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay I will get better thermometers! The bulb is 2 months old. She was eating, going to the bathroom regularly and growing great prior to this illness. It started when she ate a cricket that I think was a little big. I gave her a little water and then she vomited up the cricket. I think when she threw-up she my have inhaled some of the water. I tried keeping her warmer the following days but she still ended up sick.
Please get the UVB adjusted its imperative -- I would look at getting a T 5 - what brand is the T 8 ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's possible that she hurt her mouth by biting on the tip of the syringe. Can you post pics of her to show her size and also her mouth area.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, a lot of them do hurt their mouth or gums when being syringe fed, etc. When will she be done
with the antibiotics?
It sounds like she is slowly getting better, but they do heal up slowly. Poor girl, I hope she is feeling better
& starts to eat on her own real soon.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom