Sick Babies Dying, Genetic or Human Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
We are new to breeding and so taking care of 4 inch babies is all new to us. We had a first clutch that all grew up successfully and then the second clutch was 16. They all started off fairly evenly... after about a week and 1/2 I started noticing two less dominant ones not keeping up in weight so I separated them out. They were dark and pretty lethargic and wouldn't eat. I started giving them dobbs of baby chicken food on their noses to try and get them going. They were okay but not really improving so yesterday I went and got the Fluekers Repta-Aid and tried feeding them that. I never forced anything just continually put dabs on nose and wait for lapping. Then one got more lifeless... a couple of rash movements and attempts to bite my finger and gone. Then not even two hours later the other one did the same. Like a couple of seizure like movements and then he passed in my hands. Could this just be a genetic weakness or did I do something wrong? Was the Repta-Aid not a good idea? I expect some losses but it seamed like more than just your usual less-dominant clutch mate not eating enough. Any advice?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Without a necropsy its impossible to tell. It could of been something in the genes, it could of been just babys that would of never of made it in the wild. One of the downsides of breeding is die off. It sometimes happens in very small amounts, it sometimes happens in larger amounts. Watch the other babys as closly as you can as well as any future hatchlings from that pairing. This may be a pairing that you dont want to do again, time will tell.

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So then the Repta-aid is safe for babies that small? I can't see why not... except in hindsight I shouldn't have mixed it with tap water (in long beach it's drinkable) Could that have done it? It just seemed like they died quickly and suddenly after I fed them the repta-aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom