shut off the ReptiGlo 10.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this in health and no one seems to respond... So this will be x-posted, hope that's okay.

I have the ReptiGlo 10.0 compacts in the enc. right now...

I have read I need to turn them off. I cannot afford another light right now, so I'm thinking what if I put my 8 month old outside for a while... My question is this: Should I just turn it off or add outdoor light?
OR should I keep it on and add outdoor light?

If I turn it off, how long does he need to be out each day? He always seems to eat bees... Is that horrible?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hi momof2boys (mom of 1 boy here :wink: )

momof2boys":95307 said:
I asked this in health and no one seems to respond... So this will be x-posted, hope that's okay.

I have the ReptiGlo 10.0 compacts in the enc. right now...

I have read I need to turn them off. I cannot afford another light right now, so I'm thinking what if I put my 8 month old outside for a while... My question is this: Should I just turn it off or add outdoor light?
OR should I keep it on and add outdoor light?

If I turn it off, how long does he need to be out each day? He always seems to eat bees... Is that horrible?

We have been down the road of the compact, and my best advice is to TURN OFF THE COMPACT immediately, and permanently. The compacts (as well as coils, and even a few of the tubes) have caused many health issues for beardies. Just not worth the risk. Here is a link/WITH link that will explain more: [ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=65424 f=1 ].

As to offering your beardie UVB via getting her out in the sun, this can be a great way to supplement, or to use in the interim while going about securing a quality, safe UVB light. However, unless you are able to give your dragon many hours a day, consistently and also continue to give him enough heating for proper digestion, keeping up with the feeding and basking/heating schedule of a juvie that is, I can't see where this would be a long term or permanent solution. Unless perhaps you live in an area that is sunny enough and hot enough for an outdoor enclosure. Basking temps for a juvie need to be 105-110, so if you were able to sinc that up with the sun time, you might be in business. And while I'm not an expert, I can't imagine that bees would be a good addition to the beardie diet. :dontknow:

It may help to know however that a ReptiSUN 10.0 TUBE can be purchased online inexpensively. Here is a link: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html. You can likely find an inexpensive fixture for the ReptiSun 10.0 TUBE at your local hardware store (the pet store will charge you an arm and a leg, as usual :roll: ). However, take care to remove the plastic covering on the standard type flour. fixtures so that beardie will have full benefit of the bulb. Your beardie should be able to get to within 6-8 of the tube and the tube and basking bulb should align at the basking end of the tank as follows:

_____________________tube
0 basking bulb

. . . so that beardie has benefit of both bulbs while basking for optimum calcium processing and thorough digestion. Also, the bright white light of the basking bulb will help to guard beardie's eyes from the UVB rays.

As to how long your beardie can go without consistent UVB light (up to 12-14 hours a day is optimum), it's hard to say. A temporary lapse in light is usually just fine, up to 2 - 3 weeks say? It's important to keep in mind however, that the longer he goes without daily/consistent UVB, the more you open beardie up to health problems such as lack of appetite, slow/stunted growth, lethargy, etc. Also, in that the UVB is so very crucial in processing calcium, eventual metabolic bone disorder (MBD). Your beardie is 8 months... what is his size?

I hope that helps a little, at least. I do understand that light issues, and the expense that is incurred there. OUCH! However, I can't say enough how important quality and safe UVB will be for your dragon. Our beardie was under a compact light for about 3 months at the beginning (before we knew). She ate very little, grew very little and slept a lot. She also developed a problem with her left eye. Once under a ReptiSun tube (and then later a MVB), she has recovered from all her symptoms and is now thriving well, alas, is still small for her age. It's such a shame that there are so many lights out there that not only offer poor UVB emissions, but that can be downright hazardous to the health of the very animals they were designed to support. It's a deep frustration within us all around here. *sigh* We paid a whopping $50 for our compact light/fixture that now sits on a shelf in our basement gathering dust (wouldn't wish it on anybody!). We paid a mere $17 (online) for the ReptiSun tube that saved the day and $40 for the MVB (a T-Rex) that really helped our girl get back on her feet. *sigh*

I hope you're able to find a good solution soon! Hang in there!

The best,
Em

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Several hours of direct sunlight a day should hold the animal over until you get a new bulb. Adding high intensity non-uv lights next to the compact can help, as it keeps the reptile from looking directly into the bulb. Unless your able to provide adequate sunlight daily (2+ hours), I suggest you keep some form of UV bulb active in his tank. If anything, only cycle it on for 5 or so hours a day, around mid day. Start saving your pennies now.

Here are a couple inexpensive solutions which are much better than your compact.

http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-sb-100-watt-self-ballasted-flood-uvb-lamp.php
Thats the best bulb on the market, and its a very good value.

http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=2183
Not as good as the mega ray, but cheaper. This is a better bulb than your compact.

Both bulbs above also produce heat, so you might have to change your lighting around to utilize them effectively. Please feel free to ask if you have questions regarding this.

momof2boys

Original Poster
How do I know which wattage to try, with the ReptiSun 10.0 tube? And if I go to the hardware store, do I just get a standard fixture to fit the bulb, then take the plastic off?

Which should I buy first, the fixture or the bulb? or are there standardized sizes to each?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
momof2boys":dc849 said:
How do I know which wattage to try, with the ReptiSun 10.0 tube?

Wattage is directly proportionate to needed size. Just make sure to get a ReptiSun tube that covers *at least* half of the tank... most go for more than that, either 3/4 to the full length of tank, as the price is the same for any of the sizes so great if you can get more for your buck. :mrgreen:

And if I go to the hardware store, do I just get a standard fixture to fit the bulb, then take the plastic off?

Pretty much. Usually, the fixtures at the hardware store would be the "under the counter" type which are usually have a plastic 'ribbed type' covering for over the fluorescent tube. Just go ahead and leave that part off after placing the tube in the fixture. Many find that these type of fixtures are easier to install directly inside the tank, as they are not made to set atop a tank/screen. (If you peek into the "viv pics only" thread on the "Enclosures" forum, you'll likely find some good ideas for how to go about installing the fixture). :)

Which should I buy first, the fixture or the bulb? or are there standardized sizes to each?

I'd order the bulb, and then grab a fixture to fit. In general it goes like this: a 20" fixture would hold a 18" bulb and so on...

Hope that helps some! We've been using a MVB for some time now, and it's been awhile since I've installed a tube. :wink:

The best,
Em

Salsa

momof2boys":e8f12 said:

I buy the bulbs first. They come in 'standard' lengths and types (t5 for example) and the fixtures at your local hardware store should list what type & size bulb they use. If you're having trouble finding that info (some 'undercounter' & cheaper fixtures might not list it prominently) just ask an associate in the lighting department. If you tell them what size & type bulb you have, they should easily be able to show you the fixtures that'll work for you. I don't think it's an uncommon question at all for them.
Heh, speaking of which, I need to make a run to Home Depot to pick up a new dual 48" fixture for Frank the Turtle. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom