Should I take him to the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon Lil has been impacted for quite some time. he pooped last week but not enough for the amount of time he had been impacted which was about a week too. and I also feel two large long round hard things in his stomach. I don't know what to do? I've been feeding him apple sauce but today since I ran out i fed him baby food (corn carrots and pumpkin). His lighting is good and last friday he got a brand new big tank because he's been growing and needed a 50 gallon asap so that's what he has now. used to have a small leopard gecko sized tank. he used to eat collard greens everyday but I stopped feeding them because I didn't want the impaction to get worse. His substrate is newspaper and he has a small water bowl. He is about 9 months old. He doesn't seem stressed or anything. Sometimes he is lethargic and sleeps at 7pm. Nothing seems wrong except for the fact he has not pooped. Should I take him to the vet now that he hasn't pooped in 7 days? Please help I love him so much bearded dragons have been my dream pet for a long time and I only just got Lil from a friend.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. In order to help you we need a rundown of your set up? Collard greens won't cause impaction.

PaeganFuc3ingRules

Original Poster
Well its a 50 gallon tank and I said and On the left side there's a plant and the water bowl and the light onto hat side is the regular light in the middle is a log to sleep under and the food bowl then on the right is the basking light with a basking log. But won't collard greens cause imapction if the prices are too big? I feel like maybe I made them too big

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
No. Veggies are pretty easy to digest. I need to know the kinds of lights. Are any coil/compact or tube? What are the temps and how are you taking them? Do you give baths?

PaeganFuc3ingRules

Original Poster
I've got one compact zoo med light uvb and one basking light150 watts. I wsnt giving him bath before because I thought i t was only every once in a while but now since he's been backed up they're daily and I massage him too

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
The uvb you have is not a good one. It causes eye, appetite and lethargy problems. Since it affects his appetite it can affect how he digests. The most recommended uvb on here is the reptisun 10.0 Tube or the Aracidia 12% Tube . How are you taking the temps and what are they? Those are also crucial for digestion.

PaeganFuc3ingRules

Original Poster
Oh god I don't even take the temps I just assumed they were good with the basking light. I did most of my research on leopard geckos I guess I left bearded dragons a little less I'm sorry so can I get that light st pet smart?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Idk as I order mine online. As for a thermometer you need a temp gun or a digital with a wire probe. With the probe it needs to be put on the basking surface and it needs to be left there for 45 mins. Do you dust his feeders with calcium and vitamins?

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
You really need to check your temperatures. Bearded Dragons need a temp of at least ~95 in order to digest their food.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....just wanted to chime in....I agree with the others that if you make sure your lighting + temps. are good it will help out. By the way, how big is he ? At 9 months he should be a pretty good size. If a beardie hasn't gone poo in a week, for an adult it's not unusual at all. Smaller dragons go more often, but even a week without going for a larger juvenile is not a real emergency, and not necessarily impaction. He'll probably go any day now....just be sure your temps. are good, and if you want you can get some baby food prunes and squash, [ or just the canned pumpkin ] add a few drops of veg. oil and keep up the 10 minute warm baths once a day, you should see results soon.

PaeganFuc3ingRules

Original Poster
He pooped yesterday finally but I'm still worried because he's still lethargic and he sleeps a whole lot that's all I see him doing. He didn't really eat much today either. However I am going to get him a new uvb and the thermometers

CassusVas

Hi everyone,

I'm running into similar problems to the original poster. I have a female beardie (Bernie) who is 8 months old. She is a little chubby (per a recent visit to the vet) and has a good appetite for roaches, crickets and hornworms- she also eats a fair share of veggies (collard & dandelion greens, various squash, and assorted other veggies and fruit) usually in the morning. She doesn't eat as many veggies as I would like, and prefers meat, but I'm trying to introduce more variety and have reduced her meat availability (reduced to feeding once a day/every other day). She's in a 50 gallon tank, with side and top vents. Paper towel substrate. The enclosure has two logs (one big, one smaller) under a 125 Watt MVB bulb (highest basking temp = 115F), a ReptiSun 5.0 (will soon upgrade to 10) on the cool side of the tank (temps down to ~75F), some decorative plants, a hide (that's now too small for her, but she literally never used it), and a reptile hammock. I use a ceramic heat emitter at night- cage temps range from 75 to 85, where she usually sleeps she stays in the low to mid-80's at night.

She had a run-in with Coccidiosis a couple months ago- she was a little lethargic and wasn't eating as much as normal, and stool was getting a little runny at times. So I brought her to the vet. They said she was very healthy, but had Coccidia and gave me a two week treatment of Ponazuril (two doses, one week apart). I was very good (I think) about cleaning and disinfecting with 10% ammonia solution (let sit for 20-30 min) throughout that period so I think (fingers crossed) we got rid of the bugs, but I haven't had an official fecal test done yet (I know, I should get on that and am planning on it).

Anyway, I went on vacation 3 weeks ago, and had a friend look after her for me. He had an ample supply of veggies and Dubia roaches to feed her. The problem is, I think I got a bit too many roaches, and some of them were getting pretty big. I told him the rule about not feeding any bigger than the width between her eyes, but I'm not sure about how stringent he was on that.

So I got back the Friday before last (Oct. 24), and he said she had a big poop that day. I took her home that day and everything seemed good... but, she didn't poop for a week (she pooped on this last Saturday, after several days of warm bath massages and feeding a bit of olive oil). The poop was about normal size. When she was younger, she pooped *every* day, so even a few days without seemed like a problem. I've noticed that as she's getting older she seems to be going maybe once every 3 or 4 days now, which I'ver heard is normal? But not pooping for a week is definitely longer than I'm used to.

To continue, after that decent sized poo, I also then started feeding her a bit (a few drops) of Prune baby food. And, she had another little poop this morning (pretty small). But, she still hasn't pooped what I would expect for a week... She hasn't seemed overly lethargic (still her quirky and active self as far as I can tell) and her appetite hasn't really reduced at all throughout this whole thing. So, my primary concern is- is it still at the point where I should take her to the vet to get it checked out?

My vet is like 30 min away, so in addition to saving money on an Xray and vet charge, I'd prefer to not put her through the stress of the ride over to the vet if possible... I had scheduled an appointment to get her checked out tomorrow morning, but canceled when she finally pooped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom