Should I get another Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

repScott1

Ok well some of you may know my beardie died a month ago. Because he ran away when i was trying to give him some real sunlight. he jumped out of my hand and ran under my shed. I felt bad because I did not take him out to often and now i really wish i did more. How often to you guys take out your beardie? is it bad if i don't take him out for 4-5 days at a time? I was in petco and saw a little baby like five inches and I felt like i needed to have another one. and was already thinking of how i could build a nice big enclosure for when the beardie gets bigger. But i wouldnt be able to take him out all time. what do you guys think?

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
In my opinion, 4-5 days is a long time to go without being taken out. My boyfriend and I try to get both beardies out at least once a day. Lilly usually doesn't stay out very long because she wants to run off, but Tyson (10 m/o) just chills with us while we are hanging out.
Sara

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
I take mine out every few days and they are fine, I firmly believe that every dragon has a diff personality. for instance cinder is kinda skittish, she hates the in and out but will chill with me for a while on the couch once she's out of the cage (she's curious and likes to go roaming) spike however will sit all day (if he's warm) and I can pick him up turn him all around and over and he just hugs my hand when I take him in and out of his cage. it's really quite interesting to see the dif in trust. be sure to hold the new dragon in the pet store for a while, if i seems to like your hand that's a good sign. but in reality you wont know how the animal is going to be until it grows up, oh and you don't have to take your animal outside to handle it, you can hold it while you watch tv or listening to music. remember you can hold your dragon while it bathes, i put cinder on my shoulder while i clean her cage on occasion.

some people don't hold their dragons near as much as some of us though. so it's really up to you, i suggest you get another though, there really isn't a better cold blooded pet.

oh one more thing when outdoors use a leash. it will save your dragon if he does decide he needs that cricket under the shed next time.

repScott1

Original Poster
yeah when i took mine out i'd watch t.v with him and he'd be running around the room. Also i was gonna order one from lllreptile because an orange one if i am to get anoter one.

repScott1

Original Poster
i dont know anywhere else to buy and orange dragon for 50 bucks. i got my boa from and he seemed fine. any suggestions where i can get a nice beardie?

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
Not sure about that, have you checked our For Sale section? Also you can get a harness for your beardie so that you can take them outside and not worry about them running away.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
repScott1":c5352 said:
Ok well some of you may know my beardie died a month ago. Because he ran away when i was trying to give him some real sunlight. he jumped out of my hand and ran under my shed. I felt bad because I did not take him out to often and now i really wish i did more. How often to you guys take out your beardie? is it bad if i don't take him out for 4-5 days at a time? I was in petco and saw a little baby like five inches and I felt like i needed to have another one. and was already thinking of how i could build a nice big enclosure for when the beardie gets bigger. But i wouldnt be able to take him out all time. what do you guys think?

Hi there,

Sorry about the loss of your beardie a month ago.

It's always a good idea to use a leash when your training a beardie in the home, (not to jump off you) and always use one when outside.

Some of us are unable or just choose not to take our beardies outside, I personally do not unless they stay on me, I really don't know why, I just choose not too at this time. My beardies are on me all the time in the house, unfortuately, my house is unside down since I'm moving soon, so to let them run around on their own would be a disaster, (I'd loose them in the boxes) but as I said, their out on me all the time. (I have 3) I'm hoping to have more outside time in Co. very supervised, and on a leash.

Some folks have a leash on when their beardies are exploring in the home so if they get in a tight spot, or under something, the long leash will be showing for easy viewing and finding.

The out of the tank experience is usually fun for the beardies, but if one is unable too, I don't think its harmful to them in any way, one just has to make it interesting for their beardies, for activities and stimulation. Only my humble opinion, hope this helps. Best wishes!

SO EXCITING TO BE LOOKING FOR A NEW BABY, YIPEE.......... :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom