Should I get a bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaEQ

I've always been interested in reptiles and in the past month, I've heavily researched the care and general requirements of bearded dragons. I'm 15 and a total animal lover. I already own 2 guinea pigs, a parrotlet and 4 dogs, so I've got experience in caring for animals, even though I know reptile's needs definitely differ.

I've been thinking about it until last week when I visited a local pet shop and saw an adult beardie in person. It's really so different than looking at pictures of them! They're so unique, with their eyes and cute flat stomachs, I was pretty taken aback, although I feel cheesey saying so.

I know about the time required for beardies. I'm pretty antisocial so no crazy trips or parties for me, I'll always be home to look after him, and when I'm not, I'll convince my parents to feed the bugs while I'm gone. And then the problems surrounding college. Here where I'm from, it's a lot more common to live at home with your parents while going to college instead of staying in dorms, so I'll still see my beardie everyday.

So, here's the big question, should I get a beardie? If I give him love and affection, will I get it back? (And do you ever get used to the bugs :? )

smackey2

Hatchling Member
Bearded dragons are rewarding in their own way. Each one has their own personality/quirks. My little girl, Spike (oldest son named her), is roughly 4 months old and about 11 1/2 inches long now. She is still a little skittish, but nothing like when I first got her. She can be quite the ball of energy, though, and loves to glass surf when she wants to be taken out for some attention, especially cuddles. Spike loves to be in my shirts, folding the bottom of it up and over her like a blanket. I am pretty sure she would sleep there for hours if I would let her. She also loves to sit in the windowsill in my room, on my pillow, watching the people and cars up the street at the gas station... she can be quite nosy at times.
She is also spoiled in the way of feeding. Hunting and chasing her bugs just doesn't happen. She sits on her one rock, staring intently at me, with her mouth wide open. And I just drop in a dubia roach. Once she is ready for more, it is a rinse and repeat kind of thing. I have been trained well, I guess you could say.

Personally, I love Spike and I couldn't imagine not having her. However, I do wish someone would have told me NOT to buy the 'starter kits' that the pet stores sell. Basically, everything had to be replaced, especially the lighting. I wish I had known what I needed from the start, instead of the pet store employees telling me to buy all this useless, and potentially harmful stuff for her.

I also wish they had told me the correct amount of food my little one would eat, along with what is and isn't good for them. 3-8 crickets a day was supposed to be plenty, mealworms were supposed to be great for them, and supers were even better. Pfft! Please!
Little ones are expensive to feed, especially if you don't have your own colony already ready to go and what not.
Spike is amazing and I love watching her grow, but honestly, if I had to do it all again, I couldn't guarantee I would get a baby. If at any point I get another beardie, as I don't know if I can just stop at having only one, I believe I would get one that is closer to being an adult.

****edit****
I feed Spike dubia roaches, mostly, normally medium sized ones. I also have some roaches that are 1.25" long and they give me the creeps! I have no problem hand feeding the small/medium ones, but as soon as those big ones touch me/crawl across my hand/fingers.... I get the creeps. They honestly gross me out and I highly doubt I ever get over that. Everyone is different, though.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Emma! Welcome :D

All beardies have their own personalities, its truly hard to say which one will be more affectionate than the other. When i first saw my beardie at the petstore i fell in love immediately. I know in time if he doesnt love me now i know he will love me later after all be feeding him and building a relationship with him. I have gotten my love from him just being around him, giving him baths (even though he hates it with a passion). He tries to crawl up my arm immediately as the water is on him. But those are just quirky little things that each beardie will have. Some beardies will love baths and well others wont (like mine) lol but maybe he will grow out of it or not. Just being around him gives me the excitement and makes me feel warm inside. Whether i am holding him or just looking at him through his terrarium.

All i can say is... if you can afford to spend some money on your beardie getting the right setup including lights, terrarium, the right kind of subtrate, the feeders ( be willing to spend some money on them) and as well as the vet visits (which hopefully doesnt happen if you maintain his or her beardies home). Most issues occur right where they are living aka husbandry. So if can fix those little things beforehand then should have no issues.

Beardies really make great pets if one you know what your getting yourself into AHEAD of time. Do and spend a lot of research on them before getting one. But in the end they are worth it :D

EmmaEQ

Original Poster
smackey2":38f86m2p said:
Bearded dragons are rewarding in their own way. Each one has their own personality/quirks. My little girl, Spike (oldest son named her), is roughly 4 months old and about 11 1/2 inches long now. She is still a little skittish, but nothing like when I first got her. She can be quite the ball of energy, though, and loves to glass surf when she wants to be taken out for some attention, especially cuddles. Spike loves to be in my shirts, folding the bottom of it up and over her like a blanket. I am pretty sure she would sleep there for hours if I would let her. She also loves to sit in the windowsill in my room, on my pillow, watching the people and cars up the street at the gas station... she can be quite nosy at times.
She is also spoiled in the way of feeding. Hunting and chasing her bugs just doesn't happen. She sits on her one rock, staring intently at me, with her mouth wide open. And I just drop in a dubia roach. Once she is ready for more, it is a rinse and repeat kind of thing. I have been trained well, I guess you could say.

Personally, I love Spike and I couldn't imagine not having her. However, I do wish someone would have told me NOT to buy the 'starter kits' that the pet stores sell. Basically, everything had to be replaced, especially the lighting. I wish I had known what I needed from the start, instead of the pet store employees telling me to buy all this useless, and potentially harmful stuff for her.

I also wish they had told me the correct amount of food my little one would eat, along with what is and isn't good for them. 3-8 crickets a day was supposed to be plenty, mealworms were supposed to be great for them, and supers were even better. Pfft! Please!
Little ones are expensive to feed, especially if you don't have your own colony already ready to go and what not.
Spike is amazing and I love watching her grow, but honestly, if I had to do it all again, I couldn't guarantee I would get a baby. If at any point I get another beardie, as I don't know if I can just stop at having only one, I believe I would get one that is closer to being an adult.

Thanks for telling me about Spike, she seems amazing :mrgreen: . I think I'll try get an older juvenile maybe 5-8 months, just so that the amount of insects the beardie needs each day won't be so overwhelming.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Also smackey is right... i was feeding crickets to my beardie and then he just got bored with his food so i gave him some dubia roaches. The small baby ones do not gross me out as much as the larger ones... those ones if i see it i may be running away far from it haha but over time, maybe i will grow out of it :lol:

EmmaEQ

Original Poster
Reptilelady":35l2chb8 said:
Hi Emma! Welcome :D

All beardies have their own personalities, its truly hard to say which one will be more affectionate than the other. When i first saw my beardie at the petstore i fell in love immediately. I know in time if he doesnt love me now i know he will love me later after all be feeding him and building a relationship with him. I have gotten my love from him just being around him, giving him baths (even though he hates it with a passion). He tries to crawl up my arm immediately as the water is on him. But those are just quirky little things that each beardie will have. Some beardies will love baths and well others wont (like mine) lol but maybe he will grow out of it or not. Just being around him gives me the excitement and makes me feel warm inside. Whether i am holding him or just looking at him through his terrarium.

All i can say is... if you can afford to spend some money on your beardie getting the right setup including lights, terrarium, the right kind of subtrate, the feeders ( be willing to spend some money on them) and as well as the vet visits (which hopefully doesnt happen if you maintain his or her beardies home). Most issues occur right where they are living aka husbandry. So if can fix those little things beforehand then should have no issues.

Beardies really make great pets if one you know what your getting yourself into AHEAD of time. Do and spend a lot of research on them before getting one. But in the end they are worth it :D

Thanks :mrgreen: , I'm totally going to go look in the pet shop in advance to pick a favourite

EmmaEQ

Original Poster
Reptilelady":1pq08lit said:
Also smackey is right... i was feeding crickets to my beardie and then he just got bored with his food so i gave him some dubia roaches. The small baby ones do not gross me out as much as the larger ones... those ones if i see it i may be running away far from it haha but over time, maybe i will grow out of it :lol:

Did you start a breeding colony to get your dubias? I'm looking into starting one but I've watched videos of massive colonies and become pretty scarred. They don't make any noises accept this awful scurrying sound kind of like rushing water. And they look... like big cockroaches :?

smackey2

Hatchling Member
At first I just started ordering about 200 small ones at a time online. Some websites have different sizes of small and mediums that you can buy. There for a while, Spike refused to eat anything other than Black Soldier Fly Larvae so all of my roaches just kind of collected. Then, she lost interest in the BSFL and started on the dubias again (I probably had about 400 altogether in mixed sizes but no actual adults to breed). After a few weeks, her appetite increased greatly and I was running low so I ordered 500 more medium just the other day, along with 30 adult females and 5 adult males. Not sure how long that will last, but hopefully I can start getting some nymphs going now.

One website I have used before that has different sizes:
https://dubiaroaches.com/collections/dubia-roaches-for-sale

EmmaEQ

Original Poster
smackey2":2dj5pqjr said:
At first I just started ordering about 200 small ones at a time online. Some websites have different sizes of small and mediums that you can buy. There for a while, Spike refused to eat anything other than Black Soldier Fly Larvae so all of my roaches just kind of collected. Then, she lost interest in the BSFL and started on the dubias again (I probably had about 400 altogether in mixed sizes but no actual adults to breed). After a few weeks, her appetite increased greatly and I was running low so I ordered 500 more medium just the other day, along with 30 adult females and 5 adult males. Not sure how long that will last, but hopefully I can start getting some nymphs going now.

One website I have used before that has different sizes:
https://dubiaroaches.com/collections/dubia-roaches-for-sale

Good luck then :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If you have your heart set on a beardie , my advise is make sure you have everything set up well before you choose a bearded dragon .

And you should avoid buying it at a petshop, too many pet shops give very poor care to their lizards and inappropriate food , setting it up for serious health issues that may not be obvious while it's on display, find a local small time hobbyist breeder they are more likely to give a beardie the care it needs and a good diet.

There are advantages to buying a hatchling or a juvenile and growing with it , biggest being
>> it can housed in a smaller viv while young (I house my young beardies in 100L rearing tubs that I modified for the purpose - they work great)
>> it wont be set in its ways like a mature adult beardie
>> less likely to buy a beardie who has an underlying serious health issue (as too young).

My experience with rescued injured wild lizards and my pet captive bred bluetongues and bearded dragons is they have all become very affectionate and love their snuggles.

EmmaEQ

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3sm4xqwa said:
If you have your heart set on a beardie , my advise is make sure you have everything set up well before you choose a bearded dragon .

And you should avoid buying it at a petshop, too many pet shops give very poor care to their lizards and inappropriate food , setting it up for serious health issues that may not be obvious while it's on display, find a local small time hobbyist breeder they are more likely to give a beardie the care it needs and a good diet.

There are advantages to buying a hatchling or a juvenile and growing with it , biggest being
>> it can housed in a smaller viv while young (I house my young beardies in 100L rearing tubs that I modified for the purpose - they work great)
>> less likely to buy a beardie who has an underlying serious health issue (as too young).

Yeah I've found a really nice family run reptile shop nearby that breeds their own beardies so I'm confident that their beardies are happy and healthy.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
EmmaEQ":f4qdpdga said:
kingofnobbys":f4qdpdga said:

Yeah I've found a really nice family run reptile shop nearby that breeds their own beardies so I'm confident that their beardies are happy and healthy.

That would make them a rarity IMO. I'd ask if they'd will let you view their breeding setup and the parent beardies of the one you fancy. If all looks very good, and their reptiles are all alert, well fed looking, and they all have good vivs and good basking and UV lights , the vivs are clean then OK. If not , walk and don't buy from them.
Quiz them about husbandry and beardie care and compare / report back here what they advice, we'll soon tell you if they are giving you good advice.

EmmaEQ

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1ltrhvze said:
EmmaEQ":1ltrhvze said:
kingofnobbys":1ltrhvze said:

That would make them a rarity IMO. I'd ask if they will let you view their breeding setup and the parent beardies of the one you fancy.
Quiz them about husbandry and beardie care and compare / report back here what they advice, we'll soon tell you if they are giving you good advice.

Will do :lol: , they're called Reptile Haven and it's in Dublin City if you want to know, I've seen nothing but good reviews and happy new owners so I'm hoping for the best.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
EmmaEQ":19v4sjkw said:
kingofnobbys":19v4sjkw said:
EmmaEQ":19v4sjkw said:
kingofnobbys":19v4sjkw said:

That would make them a rarity IMO. I'd ask if they will let you view their breeding setup and the parent beardies of the one you fancy.

Will do :lol: , they're called Reptile Haven and it's in Dublin City if you want to know, I've seen nothing but good reviews and happy new owners so I'm hoping for the best.

Ireland ? Never trust testamonials.

I know nothing of the shop, as I'm in Australia.

EmmaEQ

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2tjfajy1 said:
EmmaEQ":2tjfajy1 said:
EmmaEQ":2tjfajy1 said:

Ireland ?

Yup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom