Should I get a bearded Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryanater

I'm 13 and a half years old and i'm considering getting a pet bearded dragon this summer.I have a 20 gallon fish tank and 15 gallon fish tank since Christmas and I think a bearded dragon would be fun to keep too. I've read all the care sheets and watched lot's of videos on youtube. These are my reasons why i'm still a little on edge about getting one.
1. They live for 15 years which means i'll be 28 and I plan on getting a good education and a job so how will my dragon effect my life?
2. I find insects a little nasty but I could manage feeding them since adults only need 20% protein.
3. Am I gonna find it boring after awhile making up salads and stuff for my dragon?I do cook alot though.
4. Am I ready for the commitment in general?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Bearded dragons take a major commitment! They depend on you for even their basic needs. Make sure you have a qualified herp vet close by and, the money to pay for visits (can be very expensive)! An adult dragon requires a lot of space, a 2x2x4 enclosure is optimum.
Babies and juveniles are bug eating machines, they can get expensive to feed 200+ crickets a week.
There are many other expenses as well. So if you have the $$$ and, the willingness to go the long haul, go for it!

Ryanater

Original Poster
Gormagon":2r3al2mh said:
Bearded dragons take a major commitment! They depend on you for even their basic needs. Make sure you have a qualified herp vet close by and, the money to pay for visits (can be very expensive)! An adult dragon requires a lot of space, a 2x2x4 enclosure is optimum.
Babies and juveniles are bug eating machines, they can get expensive to feed 200+ crickets a week.
There are many other expenses as well. So if you have the $$$ and, the willingness to go the long haul, go for it!
I'm aware of the expenses and do plan on probably breeding some of the insects if I do this.

mushulife

To your first question: Bearded dragons are a lot of work, especially in the beginning, but it is doable. I am turning 19 in a month and currently go to college. I also work 40 hours a week, but I still make time for my beardie. It helps to have someone at home to check up on their temperatures and to feed them if need be, if you won't have someone to help you out, I'm sure you can put your beardie on a schedule that matches yours. So yes it can affect your life to an extent and they are a lot of responsibility as I'm sure you know.

To your second question, I absolutely hate bugs. But I will do a lot of things for my beardie and that includes facing my worst fear, which is roaches. You really do get used to it after a while. Baby beardies eat a ton of bugs so that is always something to think about.

I have never been bored of making his salads. It takes me like 5 minutes tops in the morning and I make him salad twice a day. No biggie.

I know at your age I was not ready to handle this kind of commitment. You might be totally different than I was though. To be honest, my bearded dragon stresses me out because I worry about his health constantly. I am new however, and I'm sure I will get used to it. Your beardie probably will take up a lot of your time and energy, so it is always something to consider.

Ryanater

Original Poster
mushulife":22vjwvkb said:
To your first question: Bearded dragons are a lot of work, especially in the beginning, but it is doable. I am turning 19 in a month and currently go to college. I also work 40 hours a week, but I still make time for my beardie. It helps to have someone at home to check up on their temperatures and to feed them if need be, if you won't have someone to help you out, I'm sure you can put your beardie on a schedule that matches yours. So yes it can affect your life to an extent and they are a lot of responsibility as I'm sure you know.

To your second question, I absolutely hate bugs. But I will do a lot of things for my beardie and that includes facing my worst fear, which is roaches. You really do get used to it after a while. Baby beardies eat a ton of bugs so that is always something to think about.

I have never been bored of making his salads. It takes me like 5 minutes tops in the morning and I make him salad twice a day. No biggie.

I know at your age I was not ready to handle this kind of commitment. You might be totally different than I was though. To be honest, my bearded dragon stresses me out because I worry about his health constantly. I am new however, and I'm sure I will get used to it. Your beardie probably will take up a lot of your time and energy, so it is always something to consider.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I know it's alot of work but since knowing u hate bugs and im like on the bad side of okay with them then it gives me more confidence.Since u have a busy schedule,it shows i'll be fine too. Thanks dude,this settles a lot of my worries and time will tell if I end up getting one,thanks again!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's good you are thinking ahead :) many dragons and other reptile pets end up looking for new homes as their younger owners get older. I got my first gecko from a kid going to college and my first dragon from a cousin when he went to college. Depending on what you can arrange and such with your parents and how far away school is though, you don't need to necissarily rehome them when you go off to school.

The only other thing I'd mention is the size of the cage (4x2x2 is a minimum for a happy dragon) and the cost of equipment can be high. With out knowing you I can't speak to how well you could provide for one or if your ready for the commitment, but the forward thinking is a great trait.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
First off, KUDOS and thank you for not just going out and buying one. BUT, there are A LOT of things to consider. I got my beardie at the same age as you are now, and man it is hard. Besides $35+ a month for food, I am about to drop $50 on a new UV. I can't stay over at friends' houses or go to parties/social events (not that I'm a super social person lol), because Loki (my beardie) needs his lights on/off at a certain time, needs to be fed and picked up after, etc etc. I would recommend going to a reptile shop and maybe spending some time with them (that's what I did). Save up $300-500 dollars, get a nice big tank, lights, heat, substrate, etc, and you should be fine. Just remember, they are NOT easy to care for and this commitment should not be taken lightly! I have 10 other pets, and Loki costs more than ALL of them put together!

Ryanater

Original Poster
JessPets":1vwcmk2z said:
First off, KUDOS and thank you for not just going out and buying one. BUT, there are A LOT of things to consider. I got my beardie at the same age as you are now, and man it is hard. Besides $35+ a month for food, I am about to drop $50 on a new UV. I can't stay over at friends' houses or go to parties/social events (not that I'm a super social person lol), because Loki (my beardie) needs his lights on/off at a certain time, needs to be fed and picked up after, etc etc. I would recommend going to a reptile shop and maybe spending some time with them (that's what I did). Save up $300-500 dollars, get a nice big tank, lights, heat, substrate, etc, and you should be fine. Just remember, they are NOT easy to care for and this commitment should not be taken lightly! I have 10 other pets, and Loki costs more than ALL of them put together!
I'm aware of the costs and you could just get a timer for the lights to turn off so u can go out and feed him before u go or someone else can.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Ryanater":dfqighiy said:
JessPets":dfqighiy said:
I'm aware of the costs and you could just get a timer for the lights to turn off so u can go out and feed him before u go or someone else can.

I am getting a timer soon, so that'll be a plus. But the original timer I got failed, so I have to get a new one. Since my beardie is my responsibility, that means I need to be the one to feed him and clean out his cage. Now I will be gone for a week off to camp next month, but all of his food will be set aside in daily proportions for my parents to dump in his bowl each morning and afternoon while gone, but I know as a pet owner that caring for them is my job, and something I need to commit to.

While having someone else care for him/her is fine every once in a while, caring for your beardie should mainly be your job, as he/she will be your pet. If you go out a lot, or are busy a lot, a bearded dragon might not be the pet for you. And you also pointed out that your beardie could be alive when you are in college - this is a HUGE thing. Chances are, if you chose to stay in a dorm, they won't allow pets, so you'll either need to rent an apartment near your school, or leave him at home in your parents or friends care. Please do not get one if you think you might have to rehome him in just a few years when you go off to college.

For me, I know that I'll have to go to a local college, as my animals need me. Besides my beardie, I have 10 other pets - all under my care, so I need to be there for them. Rehoming (for me at least) should always be a last resort, as it is honestly unfair to the animal, as they have no say in the matter. Just my 2¢

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ryanater":mm8kx1fx said:
I'm 13 and a half years old and i'm considering getting a pet bearded dragon this summer.I have a 20 gallon fish tank and 15 gallon fish tank since Christmas and I think a bearded dragon would be fun to keep too. I've read all the care sheets and watched lot's of videos on youtube. These are my reasons why i'm still a little on edge about getting one.
1. They live for 15 years which means i'll be 28 and I plan on getting a good education and a job so how will my dragon effect my life?
2. I find insects a little nasty but I could manage feeding them since adults only need 20% protein.
3. Am I gonna find it boring after awhile making up salads and stuff for my dragon?I do cook alot though.

<<< my recipy for making up salad in bulk (to freeze in icecube making trays) is
4 carrots peeled
1/2 a sweet potato peeled
These are then grated using the food processor
1 cup of frozen green bean
1 cup of frozen peas
2 whole washed and roughly chopped large buk or puk choi

mixed by hand with the grated stuff, then into the processor with the cutting blade , pulsed to make a fine chopped mix which is very evenly mixed

spoon the raw mix into large icecube make trays (2in x 2in x 2in cube maker) , I get maybe 24 cubes , freeze .

Take out a cube or two as needed to thaw and add fresh greens to.

Saves a lot of time each day.

commitment in general?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
JessPets":3lbe8v0h said:
Ryanater":3lbe8v0h said:
JessPets":3lbe8v0h said:

At 13 yrs old .... probably a bridge too far , there are 13 yr old who become very good beardie keepers and are very diligent about making sure their pet beardie is cared for properly EVERY DAY.

Keep in mind you will likely be very much into dating and social stuff over the next 5 - 8 years and the cuteness and novelty of a cool new pet beardie will soon wear off. Will mom and / or dad be willing to take up the slack ?
(as so often happens with teens when school gets more demanding , and they have peer pressure as well to be popular and successful socially).

I am getting a timer soon, so that'll be a plus. But the original timer I got failed, so I have to get a new one. Since my beardie is my responsibility, that means I need to be the one to feed him and clean out his cage. Now I will be gone for a week off to camp next month, but all of his food will be set aside in daily proportions for my parents to dump in his bowl each morning and afternoon while gone, but I know as a pet owner that caring for them is my job, and something I need to commit to.

While having someone else care for him/her is fine every once in a while, caring for your beardie should mainly be your job, as he/she will be your pet. If you go out a lot, or are busy a lot, a bearded dragon might not be the pet for you. And you also pointed out that your beardie could be alive when you are in college - this is a HUGE thing. Chances are, if you chose to stay in a dorm, they won't allow pets, so you'll either need to rent an apartment near your school, or leave him at home in your parents or friends care. Please do not get one if you think you might have to rehome him in just a few years when you go off to college.

For me, I know that I'll have to go to a local college, as my animals need me. Besides my beardie, I have 10 other pets - all under my care, so I need to be there for them. Rehoming (for me at least) should always be a last resort, as it is honestly unfair to the animal, as they have no say in the matter. Just my 2¢

charmander16

Juvie Member
#1 Good job for asking.
#2 No.

It is a LOT of work. It requires extensive setup to do it right. It is MUCH, MUCH more difficult than caring for a dog. And bearded dragons, or any reptile, isn't really like a dog or other such pet. You as say, they are more like fish. They are kind of between fish and gerbils I suppose. They are more interactive than fish for sure, but still nothing like a dog or cat.

And at your age, I think it would be a very bad choice for the reasons you mentioned. I think it would be inevitable that at least by age 18 you would end up abandoning your lizard. This isn't an easy thing to take with you to college, and based o my college experience, I'd say caring for one while in college would not happen to the level needed.

It's quite difficult to travel, etc. when you have a dragon.

IMO, dragons are good "pets" for people that are really into herpetology and who have stable living conditions who are very schedule oriented and who have money to spend on equipment and food, etc.

Owning reptiles is really more of a hobby than a "pet" relationship IMO. Reptiles aren't pets, they are hobbies, and I'd say the same of fish really. It is an extensive hobby that will result in you needed to learn a lot, build a lot, buy a lot, setup a lot, etc. Overall it costs thousands of dollars to provide good care and a significant investment of time. The time is not just feeding, but researching, building stuff, testing things out, looking for food sources, ordering food, raising the food, etc.

It's a lot of work.

IMO, reptiles in general are not good "pets" especially for teenagers. They seem very cool at first, until the rigor of the care sets in. When you are a teen you need to be free to go off on a random camping trip or vacation or sleep-over. You need to be okay to stay up late blasting music in your room, partying when your parents leave, etc. The ability to do that type of stuff is significantly diminished if you are caring for a reptile.

Ryanater

Original Poster
charmander16":3miae8ba said:
#1 Good job for asking.
#2 No.

It is a LOT of work. It requires extensive setup to do it right. It is MUCH, MUCH more difficult than caring for a dog. And bearded dragons, or any reptile, isn't really like a dog or other such pet. You as say, they are more like fish. They are kind of between fish and gerbils I suppose. They are more interactive than fish for sure, but still nothing like a dog or cat.

And at your age, I think it would be a very bad choice for the reasons you mentioned. I think it would be inevitable that at least by age 18 you would end up abandoning your lizard. This isn't an easy thing to take with you to college, and based o my college experience, I'd say caring for one while in college would not happen to the level needed.

It's quite difficult to travel, etc. when you have a dragon.

IMO, dragons are good "pets" for people that are really into herpetology and who have stable living conditions who are very schedule oriented and who have money to spend on equipment and food, etc.

Owning reptiles is really more of a hobby than a "pet" relationship IMO. Reptiles aren't pets, they are hobbies, and I'd say the same of fish really. It is an extensive hobby that will result in you needed to learn a lot, build a lot, buy a lot, setup a lot, etc. Overall it costs thousands of dollars to provide good care and a significant investment of time. The time is not just feeding, but researching, building stuff, testing things out, looking for food sources, ordering food, raising the food, etc.

It's a lot of work.

IMO, reptiles in general are not good "pets" especially for teenagers. They seem very cool at first, until the rigor of the care sets in. When you are a teen you need to be free to go off on a random camping trip or vacation or sleep-over. You need to be okay to stay up late blasting music in your room, partying when your parents leave, etc. The ability to do that type of stuff is significantly diminished if you are caring for a reptile.
My dad has put over 1000 dollars in my aquarium and he has a good job so he's fine because I learn a lot and he knows I love animals.Also about me giving him off when I go to college or university could happen but I don't know if I'll go local or what and my dad has never kept bearded dragons but he has said before he thinks they are awesome which might mean he could watch him for me sometimes if I needed.You have alot of good points which makes me not want to buy one but I also still have the feeling of wanting to own one as I have the responsibility with my fish and they take alot of work,with cleaning,feeding,dealing with tank issues etc.I was originally gonna get a large 75 gallon aquarium that would cost 1100 dollars CAD to setup not including the live plants,driftwood or fish.So money is not a problem and i'll be putting alot more thought into this and visit my local reptile store probably and maybe ask them what they think too.

Ryanater

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1jiw00a1 said:
JessPets":1jiw00a1 said:
Ryanater":1jiw00a1 said:
JessPets":1jiw00a1 said:

At 13 yrs old .... probably a bridge too far , there are 13 yr old who become very good beardie keepers and are very diligent about making sure their pet beardie is cared for properly EVERY DAY.

Keep in mind you will likely be very much into dating and social stuff over the next 5 - 8 years and the cuteness and novelty of a cool new pet beardie will soon wear off. Will mom and / or dad be willing to take up the slack ?
(as so often happens with teens when school gets more demanding , and they have peer pressure as well to be popular and successful socially).

I am a mature kid,if u knew me and personally i'm a animal lover who's addicted to fish keeping and my cat.I also love dinosaurs which is another fascination with lizards even know dinosaurs are related to birds.I am popular and go to school dances and such but my fish tank is fine with lighting times and feeding,you don't need to feed them exactly the same time everyday.With beardies after my research,at least 3 hours before lights out and with a light timer and I can just feed before I go.I don't go out that much besides some school dances and obviously school.I have a lot of free time and I think I could care for a dragon.My dad also use to have them when he was a kid and i'm sure he could check on him under the rare times I need it to be.I have not gone on alot of vacations and such,more of a home boy lol. I would not be getting one till august so I have a lot of time to think over what you said and the others and I can then figure out if I should do this.Also I read on some other pages about a 14 year old wanting a pet dragon and they were all positive so different crowd.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Ryanater":39jud7tq said:
kingofnobbys":39jud7tq said:
JessPets":39jud7tq said:
Ryanater":39jud7tq said:
JessPets":39jud7tq said:

I am a mature kid,if u knew me and personally i'm a animal lover who's addicted to fish keeping and my cat.I also love dinosaurs which is another fascination with lizards even know dinosaurs are related to birds.I am popular and go to school dances and such but my fish tank is fine with lighting times and feeding,you don't need to feed them exactly the same time everyday.With beardies after my research,at least 3 hours before lights out and with a light timer and I can just feed before I go.I don't go out that much besides some school dances and obviously school.I have a lot of free time and I think I could care for a dragon.My dad also use to have them when he was a kid and i'm sure he could check on him under the rare times I need it to be.I have not gone on alot of vacations and such,more of a home boy lol. I would not be getting one till august so I have a lot of time to think over what you said and the others and I can then figure out if I should do this.Also I read on some other pages about a 14 year old wanting a pet dragon and they were all positive so different crowd.

Heh, heh. That was a very mixed thread lol. It seems you have the funds and as long as you have the time, I say go for it. But the part about college has me worried. Chances are the dragon will come attached to you, and it doesn't seem fair to possible have to hand him off when you move out. Please consider this - if you think there is a high likely hood of rehoming, please do not get one. It is simply not fair to the dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom