Should I be worried ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
96276-5872389381.jpg
Tadeo has been laying like that since I got him (2 Days ago). His temp on the cool side is 75. The temp on his basking spot is 104. Humidity is 26. I have the zoo med reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb and the zoo med repti basking spot lamp. He is in a 40 gallon tank. He ate a piece of baby spinach and he won’t eat anything else I have his supplements I don’t want to take him back :( somebody please help me.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Do you have any idea how old he is? He looks fairly small in the photo, and if he's young he'll need lots of protein to grow. Crickets and roaches are usually the easiest to get, but make sure that they're no larger than the space between his eyes. Silk worms and black soldier fly larvae are also good feeders if you can get them, and easier for him to catch, especially if he's feeling intimidated.

If you've only had him for 2 days, he may still be experiencing "relocation stress" and getting used to his new surroundings, but he'll probably need to eat something more substantial than greens soon. Try offering appropriately sized bugs or worms (dusted with the supplements), maybe one at a time to avoid stressing him, several times a day. Also try to avoid sudden moves, etc.

Your temperatures and lighting sound pretty good, but hard to tell from the photo what kind of substrate you have him on? It looks like it could be either some kind of carpet (which would be ok) or colored sand (which would not be good).

It's good that he at least ate something, but the general rule is that babies get most of their nutrition from bugs and adults get most of their nutrition from greens, although there are a number of beardies who don't seem to know that rule and still seem to do fine. You can try providing him a little salad -- some of the best staples are collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, endive, and dandelion greens. Be careful with spinach and kale -- too much of these can interfere with calcium absorption.

If you got him from a pet store, some of them are notorious for not taking proper care of young bearded dragons, so if you want to give him the best chance and if he continues to lay around and not eat, your best bet is to find a good experienced reptile vet and take him in for a checkup. Meanwhile, you might want to review some of the articles on this website about bearded dragon care -- they may give you some other helpful ideas.

Karizma212

Original Poster
I did get him from the pet store. I want to say he’s probably like not even 2 months. I do have the carpet. Thanks so much for the reply back and I’m definitely taking him to the vet

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Glad to hear that you've decided to take him to a vet and not back to the pet store. :) You're likely to get much better advice and your little beardie will have a better chance of doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom