Should I be feeding my beardie more than once a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfingers

I have a 5 month old beardie dragon named Iggy. I feed him twice a day along with veggies. He does seem to really eat well as far as veggies goes for his age. I feed him crickets twice a day. The thing that I noticed is that he is really starting to get a belly. I've only had him for like 3 weeks, but he has really put on a lot of weight. Should I cut his feeding on crickets down to once a day since he eats his veggies really good?

brezofleur

I agree. Babies eat much more protein than adults (80% protein, 20% veggies as babies, and opposite as adults).

I think most here would say to feed him 2-3x / day and have him eat as much as he can in 10 minutes. He might have a belly today, and then tomorrow he'll be twice as long with no belly. They grow extremely fast! I didn't believe my Athena was every 5 inches long. I blinked and she's almost 12 now... Sniffle.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Definitely feed him/her 2-3 times a day as much as he can eat and nothing bigger than the space between the eyes. At 5 months that little guy should be eating upwards of 50-75 crix per day. So about 25 per sitting. As Don't worry about a baby getting fat or overeating, in fact the more they eat the better at such a young age, as brezofleur you can offer then food 2-3x for 10-15 minutes.

jfingers

Original Poster
ya he eats about 15-20 crickets a sitting. Today he ate 35 total. I'll continue to feed him twice a day.

Kray

I have two beardies, hatched in late July, and between them they eat 1000 crickets a week. So yes, keep feeding your baby twice a day, and she will grow like a weed. :D

MrSlak

This is interesting to read my beardie has been a very slow grower and he went off his food quite badly for a while and he didnt eat anywhere near this many crickets. This could be why he is such a slow grower i shall be increasing the size of his meals.

Repkyle

That's intresting, my dudes around the five month mark now and he's eating around 10 crix 10 mealworms and around 3-5 roaches, twice daily. Very little salad ATM. Up untill I read his I thought this was loads :/ guess I need to incourage more eating then. I'd like to feed 3 times but I'm in work most the day so unless it's a weekend I'm stuck with twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livsxx
Top Bottom